This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: When do you shop?

Generally online, but if I buy at an event it will be on Friday night/afternoon before going "live".
    Garrett W. Silliman

[I]Don't Float the Mainstream[/I]
    [SIZE="1"]-Sweetwater Brewing Company, Atlanta, GA[/SIZE]

Comment

Hallo!

I tough one to answer...
      But, considering the choices, "on line" or "through the mail."

That being because modern sutlers are not part of the event, or... the sutlers I would buy from NUG are not at events that have modern sutlers as part of the event (exceptions noted).
      Meaning, the History-Heavy events may not afford one the opportunity, and the History-Light events NUG do not have the sutlers or makers I buy from.

Soooo. I buy "before."

And, I am growing curmudgeony buying uniform items on line or through the mails due to sizing problems. With a 42 1/2 inch chest, I can wear a
      "Size 42" from some vendors or makers but not others and have to go to a "Size 44" while some "Size 44" are closer to Size 46 on me. Same with "Size 34" or "Size 36" trousers.
      Knowing different makers' sizing and sizes makes that easier until new makers' systems are learned.
      And, by buying say from S & S "off the rack," one can "try garments on." This eliminates problems, particular on-line sales where a lad lists a "Size 44" jacket that arrives as a "Size 38" (lost $18 on mail and PayPal fees returning it the last time that happened).

On the other hand, things get complicated by the "impression du jour" for particular units being portrayed for particular events where things may need to all be purchased in advance of an event as the liklihood of even the best or highest quality makers or vendors may not have those items in stock.
      And... then there is always the "Hey, look! I can use THAT!!" purchase of the immediate need or Impulse Buy when the quality wares are available and access is not prohibited by the impression, scenario, or event... ;) :)

Others' mileage will vary...

Curt
      Six of one, and half dozen of the other Mess
      Curt Schmidt
      In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
      -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
      -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
      -Vastly Ignorant
      -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

I go during down time at the event. I also order online. It really depends on whether I need something.
        Cpl. Ryan Halsey
        Wampus Cats Mess
        Mossy Creek Mess-SCAR
        Breckinridge Greys
        Liberty Rifles

Comment

I try to purchase the items needed, before an event, online. I go to the sutlers once, and maybe twice on a good day. I can walk in and walk out without buying anything. I look close at items at the sutlers then go " I really don't need that."
          [B][FONT="Georgia"][I]P. L. Parault[/I][/FONT][/B][FONT="Book Antiqua"][/FONT]

[I][B]"Three score and ten I can remember well, within the volume of which time I have seen hours dreadful and things strange: but this sore night hath trifled former knowings."

William Shakespeare[/B][/I]

Comment

Speaking as a vendor (Ragged Soldier Sutlery), I advise people to make their purchases as soon as they can. Because the vagaries of the market seem never to be the same -- some items move that have been slow for a year while other best-sellers don't sell -- I try to bring adequate inventory but my estimates are sometimes off. Or, even worse, the supplier has stopped carrying that item or the manufacturer is no longer making it so what I have on hand at the beginning of the event is all I can get. At the mainstream Gettysburg, even though I had stocked up, some people came back to the booth Sunday afternoon and I had sold out of quite a few items.

Concerning those folks that don't consider a trip through the vendor area worthwhile, I would invite them to visit my tent when I do an event. We have documented what we carry and have a binder with documentation for almost every reproduction item we sell and are getting our documentation added to our website. And although we are best known for toys and children's games, we do carry items for adults, e.g., parlor games and numerous books, both reproduction and modern, as well as items particularly suited for soldiers, e.g., dice, dominoes, and adamantine/stearin candles.

Further, the soldiers and adult civilians should have some knowledge of items available to children of the time period. Susan Hughes, the former editor of Citizen's Companion summed it up when she made a comment about soldiers' general knowledge of the time period. It went something along the lines of the soldiers should remember that the generals didn't cleave the ground with their collective swords and the soldiers sprang out fully accoutered without any knowledge of the 1860's world. While she was referring to soldiers having a general knowledge of civilian subjects, the same message holds for all reenacting adults' -- both soldier and civilian -- knowledge about toys, children's games, adult entertainments, and such topics as etiquette and hand writing. All civil war reenactors could learn a lot about the period mindset and society's values as well as some of what their own education would have addressed by reading period textbooks that we carry.

If you want the mainstream vendors to do a better job with their merchandise, ask them for their documentation on their merchandise. I've seen a lot of items at vendors that wouldn't stand up to even casual scrutiny, e.g., cold handle frying pans which we have never been able to document to the civil war period. If they have documentation, you can also reward them by patronizing their establishments.

Sorry if I got up on a soapbox a bit and strayed from the starting topic but we try to be historians who happen to sell things we have researched rather than some of the mainstream vendors and gift shops at historic sites who seem to be entrepreneurs who sell what they think the public will buy.

Michael Mescher
            Virginia Mescher
            vmescher@vt.edu
            http://www.raggedsoldier.com

Comment

Hi,

I wish I had known that your sutler was at Gettysburg, I would have loved to gone through it.

Andrew Kasmar
              Last edited by Andrew Kasmar; 08-02-2008, 11:19 PM.
              Andrew Kasmar

Comment

Hallo!

Sutlery...
                ;) :)

Curt
                Curt Schmidt
                In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
                -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
                -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
                -Vastly Ignorant
                -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

If I know I need something I try and buy it before hand online. If I know ahead of time that the sutler will be at the event I will wait to purchase the item at the event to avoid shipping fees. However, I do browse during down time, but not really purchase anything.
                  [FONT="Book Antiqua"]Leila Vecchi[/FONT]

Comment

Usually during downtime when nothing else is going on or if I need something in particular.
                    Regards,
                    Scott Dallimore
                    14th SCVI Co. I "McCalla's Rifles"
                    Reedy River Mess - 16th S.C. The Greenville Rg't
                    -------------------------------------

Comment

I visit sutler row during down time at events. Whether I shop or not, depends on my need at that exact moment. If I see something I like, I'll take note of it and try to research it when I get home and buy it at the next event. If I need something bad enough, I'll make a trip out to Gettysburg to pick it up. I'm finished with buying online (even non-reenacting purchases) as I have been burned twice by sutlers
                      Rob Weber
                      3d Alabama

When the blast of war blows in your ears, then shall ye good men imitate the actions of the tiger!!! Stiffen thy sinews, summon up thy blood, disguise thy fair nature with hard favored RAGE!!! -- William Shakespeare, Henry V, Act 3, sc. 1

Comment

Working...
                      X