Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Michigan Hats

Sent PM for a blue one.

Fort Negley may just be a bit nippy this year. :)
    Ron Mueller
    Illinois
    New Madrid Guards

"How many legs does a dog have if you call the tail a leg?
    Four. Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg."
    Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by KathyBradford View Post
      Updated list

Maroon
      Steve Bucher 7 5/8
      Chris Hawley 7 1/4
      Rick Miculack 22¼”
      Matt Prince 23½”
      Jeremy Scott 24¼”
      Josh Bucher 23½”
      Denny Whiting
      Russ Paul
      Chris Meeker
      Charles Traxler 7 3/8
      Robert Roeder 7 1/2 - 23¾”
      Will Eichler 7 1/2
      Dave Prince 7 3/8 - 7 1/2
      Jeremy Bevard 7 3/8
      Brian White 7 1/2
      Rob Carter 7 3/8

Dark Blue
      Erik Simundson 7 1/4
      Will “Huck” Green 7 1/8 to 7 1/4 22 ½”
      Terry Sorchy 7 1/4
      Dirk Behana 22¼”
      Curt Schmidt 7 1/2
      Brian Koenig 7 1/8
      John Wickett 22¾”
      Joe Blunt 22½”
      Ron Mueller 7 1/2
      Ken Callaway 7 3/4
      Eric Fair 7 1/2

Wool felt and yarn orders will go in Wednesday. Please encourage anyone who wants theirs to match to get their order in for this run. Also, if anyone would rather switch to maroon in light of the recently revealed picture, please let me know.

After we know the price and the date of delivery for the materials, I'll post a request for payment. Paypal, checks, or money orders will all be welcomed. Then, I'll make the hats in the order payment is received.

Thank you.

Sorry to keep reposting this with the additions. The editing time for the last one expired.
      Last edited by KathyBradford; 09-02-2008, 03:06 PM.

Comment

Gosh, you go away for a long weekend and all sorts of stuff happens.

I'll take a maroon with blue tassel, size 7 3/8.
        Robert Carter
        69th NYSV, Co. A
        justrobnj@gmail.com
        www.69thsnyv.org

Comment

I'd love to have a dark blue for a size 7 1/2. Thanks for this run - they look outstanding!
          Eric Fair

"A word in earnest is as good as a speech." Charles Dickens - [I]Bleak House[/I]

Comment

Hi Kathy,

I'll take one
            Maroon 7 1/4'" will email you for price and address

Bob Hutton
            Last edited by bhutton; 09-03-2008, 01:10 PM.
            Bob Hutton:)

14th NC "Wild Cats"

Comment

Oh crap, just when I thought I could make it through one season without having to buy a "gotta have it" item, along comes this hat and everyone getting one. Ok, you twisted my arm.

Maroon
              7 3/8

It'll probably complement the sleeping cap, three housewives and preservation parcels I have from you, but I am not sure. Guess I'll have to see what comes next also. Payment coming on PayPal.

Layton Pennington
              26th NC
              [FONT=Times New Roman]Layton Pennington[/FONT]
              Member, Company of Military Historians
              Member, Society for Military History
              Life member, SCV
              Life member: Veterans of Foreign Wars,
              American Legion, Disabled American Veterans

Comment

Just some thoughts regarding my image posted at :

The tinting of a photograph by a photographer and or his "artist" was done to emphasize the life-like portrayal of the sitter, in this case a soldier from the Fourth Michigan Infantry. The addition of color would transfer a grayscale portrait into a more realistic composition of the scene / and or sitter captured by the camera's lens. So with that in mind, when color was added, the artist was not at liberty to turn a blue uniform green, or gray hair black, or more specifically a blue hat maroon. The photographer's work would obviously be subject to approval by the sitter and so he was working within the parameters that would honestly portray, and thus please, the customer (soldier) with the colors that were available for him to use. This was especiually so with regard to the addition of color, since the soldier incurred an additional expense for that choice. So tinting a soldier's blue cap into a maroon cap would most likely leave the photographer stuck with the customer's unwanted image!

Continuing in thought..... A northern photographer who's typical customer was a Union soldier, would have relied on blue and gold as the most common colors to use by him (or his artist), with probably red and green to follow. I say that since most of his customers were wearing State and Federal issued uniforms of blue. The gold paint would be required to tint the brass buttons, regimental and company devices, branch of service insignias, as well as belt plates, epaulettes, etc. So I wonder if blue was indeed the most common color used by the photographer's artist, why have I never noticed a single blue tinted fez in the dozen's of "Canadian hat" images that I've seen? And I do not exaggerate when I say that I have seen at least seventy "Canadian hat" images and at least fifteen of those were enhanced in color by the photographer or his artist. Even in those images that I have seen that were identifeid to regiments other than the Fourth Michigan Infantry, red or maroon was the dominant color choice.

So in summary, I believe that unless a period document, letter, diary, etc. is located that spells out the use of a blue cap with a blue tassle, we are speculating that a blue hat with blue tassles was the description of the headgear worn by some of the men of the Fourth Michigan Infantry. And if we rely on the shading in a grayscale ( or even sepia) image to determine that the cap was blue as well as the tassles, we are speculating much more . I find a great deal less speclation in a digitally scrutinized view of period tinted images with reasonable provenance ( identifying them as a soldiers from the Fourth Michigan Infantry) which reveals a maroon body and medium blue tassles.

Author and fellow Fourth Michigan enthusiast, Marty Berterra and I have both agreed with a 90% certainty that the regiment wore Canadian hats, or fezs if you prefer, with a maroon body and blue tassles. But of course the opinions and research of others would be welcome with respect to the blue/ blue color scheme.

Respectfully,
                George Wilkinson
                Dexter, Michigan

"I am tuff A nuff to cross hell on a wooden bridge to whip a trator"
                Private Newell White, Co. B, Fourth Michigan Infantry (Aug. 5th,1861 letter home)

Comment

Thank you, George.

I ordered extra maroon wool felt, just in case anyone wanted to change their order. If so, please just let me know.

Terre Lawson is scouring and indigo dying our wool yarn for the tassels. Weather permitting, she'll be able to send it in about two weeks.

Meanwhile, I'm planning to sew the caps for all who have paid in the order that funds were received. That way, they'll be ready for tassels and mailing as soon as possible.

Thank you to all who have been part of this.

Comment

Hallo!

"After we know the price and the date of delivery for the materials, I'll post a request for payment. Paypal, checks, or money orders will all be welcomed. Then, I'll make the hats in the order payment is received."

and

"Meanwhile, I'm planning to sew the caps for all who have paid in the order that funds were received. That way, they'll be ready for tassels and mailing as soon as possible."

Mistress Kathy:

Did I miss the "request for payment?"

??

Curt
                    Missing in Action Mess
                    Curt Schmidt
                    In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
                    -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
                    -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
                    -Vastly Ignorant
                    -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Sorry for the confusion, Curt and All,

I posted the call in a different thread, and I should have put the information, here, too. Here is the other thread. http://www.authentic-campaigner.com/...ad.php?t=19355

In summary, the hats will be made of the highest quality available 100% wool felt and lined with linen. The maroon ones are from 16 oz. wool, and the navy ones are from 14 oz. wool. The tassels will be handmade from Terre Lawson's hand spun, hand dyed, indigo wool yarn.

This is the list of all the names and choices so far. If anyone would like any changes, please just say the word.

Maroon
                      Steve Bucher 7 5/8
                      Chris Hawley 7 1/4
                      Rick Miculack 22¼”
                      Matt Prince 23½”
                      Jeremy Scott 24¼”
                      Josh Bucher 23½”
                      Denny Whiting
                      Russ Paul
                      Chris Meeker
                      Charles Traxler 7 3/8
                      Robert Roeder 7 1/2 - 23¾”
                      Will Eichler 7 1/2
                      Dave Prince 7 3/8 - 7 1/2
                      Jeremy Bevard 7 3/8
                      Brian White 7 1/2
                      Rob Carter 7 3/8
                      Bob Hutton 7 1/4
                      Layton Pennington 7 3/8
                      John Wickett 22¾”

Dark Blue
                      Erik Simundson 7 1/4
                      Will “Huck” Green 22 ½”
                      Terry Sorchy 7 1/4
                      Dirk Behana 22¼”
                      Curt Schmidt 7 1/2
                      Brian Koenig 7 1/8
                      Joe Blunt 22½”
                      Ron Mueller 7 1/2
                      Ken Callaway 7 3/4
                      Eric Fair 7 1/2

The final cost, postage paid, will be $63. Money orders, personal checks or Paypal at PreservationParcels@hotmail.com gladly accepted. For checks or money orders, please send me a quick email at PreservationParcels@hotmail.com, and I'll send you my mailing address. Hats will be sent in the order of payment received.

25% of the proceeds from each hat ($15.75) will be given to preservation. Ft. Wayne will be the recipient unless otherwise specified. The Tomb of the Unknown Soldier and Shepherdstown Ford have also been mentioned.

Thank you to all who have contributed to this discussion!

Kindest regards,
                      Last edited by KathyBradford; 09-13-2008, 08:32 AM.

Comment

Mrs. Lawson endured heavy Ike winds that kept blowing out her fire, but she persevered to dye our wool. It's on its way here.

I've received payment from the men with an asterisk * next to their names, and I'm making hats in the order payment is received. The first run will be ready to send out as soon as the wool arrives. For anyone who would like to be included in that group, please email to PreservationParcels@hotmail.com for my address. If you'd rather send PayPal, my account is PreservationParcels@hotmail.com

Unless designated otherwise, all the preservation funds will be sent to Ft. Wayne. If I've missed any details about color preferences or size, please let me know.

Thank you so much!

Maroon
                        Steve Bucher 7 5/8
                        Chris Hawley 7 1/4
                        Rick Miculack 22¼”
                        Matt Prince 23½”
                        Jeremy Scott 24¼”
                        Josh Bucher 23½”
                        Denny Whiting
                        Russ Paul
                        Chris Meeker
                        Charles Traxler 7 3/8*
                        Robert Roeder 7 1/2 - 23¾” *
                        Will Eichler 7 1/2
                        Dave Prince 7 3/8 - 7 ½*
                        Jeremy Bevard 7 3/8*
                        Brian White 7 ½*
                        Rob Carter 7 3/8
                        Bob Hutton 7 3/8*
                        Layton Pennington 7 3/8*
                        John Wickett 22¾”
                        Dave Stutdard 7 ¼

Dark Blue
                        Erik Simundson 7 ¼*
                        Will “Huck” Green 22 ½”*
                        Terry Sorchy 7 1/4
                        Dirk Behana 22¼”
                        Curt Schmidt 7 ½*
                        Brian Koenig 7 1/8
                        Joe Blunt 22½”
                        Ron Mueller 7 ½*
                        Ken Callaway 7 ¾*
                        Eric Fair 7 ½*
                        Last edited by KathyBradford; 09-16-2008, 11:42 PM.

Comment

What a courtious and nice way of confirming payment for such a large order.
                          I appreciate your professionalism and look forward to receiving this splendid hat.

Erik Simundson
                          Erik Simundson

Comment

Gentlemen,

While we wait for the post office to get the boxes, here are the first two. I'd like your opinion about how these stack up with the original pictures. What say ye?

Comment

They look Dyn-o-mite to me!

Its sounding like my pumpkin head may remain warm at Fort Negley this November. :)
                              Ron Mueller
                              Illinois
                              New Madrid Guards

"How many legs does a dog have if you call the tail a leg?
                              Four. Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg."
                              Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Kathy,
                                These are outstanding. Thank you for all your work and research.
                                Dave Prince
                                Dave Prince

Comment

Working...
                                X