Canteen Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canteen Help

Now the Orchard Hill is no longer accepting orders on smoothside canteens, anyone have any suggestions? I'm working on a vendor list and am curious to other sources.
    Patrick Landrum
    Independent Rifles

Re: Canteen Help

Pat,the only thing I can think of is the old standby.Order a Jarnagin canteen and send it to Otter Tin to have him rework it.Of course,there is S&S.
    Cullen Smith
    South Union Guard

"Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore always carry a small snake"~W.C. Fields

"When I drink whiskey, I drink whiskey; and when I drink water, I drink water."~Michaleen Flynn [I]The Quiet Man[/I]

Comment

Just curious, what needs to be reworked on a Jarnagin canteen?
      Jim Mayo
      Portsmouth Rifles, Company G, 9th Va. Inf.

CW Show and Tell Site
      http://www.angelfire.com/ma4/j_mayo/index.html

Comment

I know Bill over at EJ Thomas said he had some smooth side canteens but they need to covered and had no strap. You may want to shoot him an email and inquire over there.
        -Seth Harr

Liberty Rifles
        93rd New York Coffee Cooler
        [I]
        "One of the questions that troubled me was whether I would ever be able to eat hardtack again. I knew the chances were against me. If I could not I was just as good as out of the service"[/I]
        [B]-Robert S. Camberlain, 64th Ohio Veteran Volunteer Infantry[/B]

Comment

Jim,that is just what I read when I first started campaigning.I guess maybe putting a new cover on it.Other then that,I'm not 100% sure.
          Cullen Smith
          South Union Guard

"Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore always carry a small snake"~W.C. Fields

"When I drink whiskey, I drink whiskey; and when I drink water, I drink water."~Michaleen Flynn [I]The Quiet Man[/I]

Comment

I know most hardkewl dudes won't buy from Village Tinsmith, but I just saw their hot tin dipped canteen at Cedar Creek a few weeks ago and was rather pleased with it. The shape, construction, spout and quality of the tin are really great. I've seen other 'hot tin dipped' items in the past that have been very 'gloopy' and 'runny', but this one looks like so many of the originals we see in private/public collections.

You can order it sans cover and sling and make those authentic modifications yourself.

Anyway, give Bill and Judy a shout, they've been serving the hobby for decades and have great customer service....unlike someone we all know
            [COLOR="DarkRed"] [B][SIZE=2][FONT=Book Antiqua]Christopher J. Daley[/FONT][/SIZE][/B][/COLOR]

Comment

Chris,I do buy all my tinware from them.I think I will have to check out their canteens from here on in.
              Cullen Smith
              South Union Guard

Comment

I was going to start a new thread but, since this is along the same lines I will ask it here.

I don’t mind doing a little work on something that is properly constructed but not 100% correct as purchased if the effort will result in something authentic. But, not if it is financially imprudent to do so. I.e. buying something cheap and spending more on making it correct than to have purchased correct to begin with. The following would seem to be the only viable options for an 1858 smooth side (or bull’s-eye) canteen that I have found. Though none of these canteens are from approved vendors. I appreciate any input both pro and con, as long as it relates to the subject matter at hand and not the vendors in general as I know some have less than stellar reputations when it come to the authenticity of most of their wares.

Village Tinsmith: This seems to be my current leader as tin is their only business and they are one of the only vendors who state they use lead free solder. I will inquire about the hot dipped version as they only list beeswax lined versions on their website. Thank you for the input Mr. Daley. Seems like an affordable option at $46. Though perhaps not if I have to replace the cover and strap.

Provisional Supply: Available in New York or Philadelphia Depot versions that appear to be well researched and constructed as close to the original examples as possible. This could possibly be the best value at $58.

C&D Jarnagin: No mention of being hot dipped or lined. Available with several cover options. While based on period patterns there is no pictured original to compare their product too. Priced around $60.

Blockade Runner: Available either lined or unlined with covers in Pat Kline jean cloth. Patterned after an original example except for some variation in the pewter spout. Priced at $40.
                Bryan Beard
                Virginian

Comment

I too would be interested in hearing the pros and cons to these different canteens.
                  [FONT="Book Antiqua"]Respectfully,
                  Joseph S. Danner

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
                  [COLOR="Red"]The Pine River Boys - 7th Wisconsin, Company I[/COLOR][/FONT]

Comment

Also, are there any thoughts on canteens from S&S?
                    Joseph S. Danner

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Does anyone still make those canteen cover kits?
                      Regards,
                      Scott Dallimore
                      14th SCVI Co. I "McCalla's Rifles"
                      Reedy River Mess - 16th S.C. The Greenville Rg't
                      -------------------------------------

Comment

After inquiring with Village Tinsmith, the hot dipped option is only available on the Tin Drum canteen. Though not listed on their site they are available for $45. Since I was in the market for a Smooth Side, I went ahead and ordered one.

As far as construction goes the seams are well done and the canteen is lined with beeswax. The supplied cotton sling is generic and useable as-is. The stopper is affixed via a chain but, the sling loop is un-punched which is a plus as I plan to replace it with twine.

The only major flaw is the cover and probably why these get overlooked by the AC crowd at first glance. You get a choice of Federal (dark) Blue, SkyBlue or Butternut. The fabric appears to be some form of synthetic on my example so; I would consider the covers disposable. I will replace the cover with a piece of appropriate jean cloth I already have along with the stopper chain.

These two easily fixed faults aside, I feel this is a decent buy for a properly constructed canteen of known materials from a reputable maker. However, for those wanting something with a period correct cover off the shelf or, who plan to upgrade with a leather sling this may not be the best buy out there when compared to offerings from other vendors.

I also plan on purchasing their hot dipped tin drum canteen and augmenting it with a sling from TMD.
                        Last edited by WpnsMan; 01-07-2009, 08:20 PM.
                        Bryan Beard
                        Virginian

Comment

Thanks for the update. I too am in the market for a new smoothside canteen and am looking to hear from those who are pleased with what they have purchased. Thank you Bryan.
                          Joseph S. Danner

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Hi,

Does anyone still make those canteen cover kits?
                            County Cloth makes some.

Andrew
                            Andrew Kasmar

Comment

Just curious, is orchard hill going out of business? or just taking a break in order to catch up on back orders?

Ryan Meyer
                              Ryan Meyer
                              Skulker's Mess (Germany)
                              Keeper of that BOX

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Working...
                              X