Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Canteen help

All,

Since Orchard Hill is no longer accepting orders what other vendors are recommended for a federal smooth side canteen?
    Pards,

Jared Byrnes

Comment

Re: Canteen help

Now this is cool, luckily this exact subject and conversation has already been had for you.....although there is still not one amazing source for the whole get up.

Preston Todd
      Hard Case Boys
      Top Rail Mess

Comment

----Censored-------

Todd Beam
        Last edited by LibertyHallVols; 03-05-2009, 08:35 PM. Reason: Edited for no farbism rule: John Wickett, Moderator

Comment

Those at FC look like decidedly non-period stainless steel...BR makes a good tin smoothside canteen for the money, copied from an original 1858 smoothside in their "museum". We modified the thing with a correct cork wire from Ropesmith (Fred Gaede had Ropesmith make this cork wire from an original in his collection) and recovered it with Ben Tart jean cloth. The jean cloth cover on it to begin with was so-so. BR also makes a Cincinatti/St Louis Depot 1858 with a tin spout.

My comrade in arms has an Orchard Hill tin canteen, and with the modifications are outlined above, the BR 1858 smoothside is very close...the Ropesmith cork wire is much better than the too thin gauge hemp string Orchard Hill used, and costs a whopping $1.00. Email is Ropesmith@aol.com.

Comment

Originally posted by civilwarguns View Post
            ----Censored-------
            I'll assume that is a joke and it is a rule that you need to sign your name to your posts. AC forum rules:http://www.authentic-campaigner.com/...w_faq_item1998

I will agree with the BR canteen. I have one and have compared it to originals and the Orchard Hill canteen. Pretty close other then the shape of the pewter spout. BR's is larger then Orchard Hill's and the originals I looked at. They do admit the the thicker spout on their site and state they did still copy the spout from an orginial. I would also replace the string, sling and maybe the cork. I got a good cork however others I have seen from them have a crappy cork.

I also have a Jarnagin canteen which I purchased used on this site. I am pretty happy with that one. Except that it is narrower and holds less water (I can't remember the difference now but it was between a cup or two).
            Last edited by LibertyHallVols; 03-05-2009, 08:36 PM.
            Respectfully,

Jeremy Bevard
            Civil War Digital Digest
            Sally Port Mess

Comment

I realize they are not an approved vendor so I could be taking a chance here but I have had a couple of Blockade Runner's jean cloth covered smoothside canteens and have been quite happy with them.
              Tom Dodson
              Tom Dodson

Comment

I almost forgot we have a new AC approved vendor!

To get a canteen from an AC approved vendor go to The Rambling Irishman.

Justin has them listed in stock and for only $60!
                Respectfully,

Jeremy Bevard
                Civil War Digital Digest
                Sally Port Mess

Comment

Sorry my bad, I thought that Fall Creek had some tin ones.

Todd Beam

Comment

Re: Canteen Help

In response to an earlier post,

I believe Provisional Supply's canteens are stainless steel. Just a heads up!

Thanks,
                    Tyler Habig
                    Tyler Habig
                    49th Indiana Co. F
                    [B]Tanglefoot Mess[/B]

[I]Proud Descendent of:[/I]

[I][SIZE=3]Aaron T. Kinslow[/SIZE][/I]
                    [I][SIZE=3]Co. D 6th Ky Reg Ky[/SIZE][/I]
                    [I][SIZE=3]Vol C.S.A.[/SIZE][/I]
                    [I][SIZE=3]Born Dec 17, 1842[/SIZE][/I]
                    [I][SIZE=3]Died Jan 31, 1862[/SIZE][/I]
                    Bummers
                    Backwaters

Comment

Originally posted by civilwarguns View Post
                      Sorry my bad, I thought that Fall Creek had some tin ones.

Todd Beam

Doesn't matter, even if made from tin...correct materials, construction and documentation are necessary for consideration.

Thanks,
                      Tyler Habig
                      Tyler Habig
                      49th Indiana Co. F
                      [B]Tanglefoot Mess[/B]

[I]Proud Descendent of:[/I]

[I][SIZE=3]Aaron T. Kinslow[/SIZE][/I]
                      [I][SIZE=3]Co. D 6th Ky Reg Ky[/SIZE][/I]
                      [I][SIZE=3]Vol C.S.A.[/SIZE][/I]
                      [I][SIZE=3]Born Dec 17, 1842[/SIZE][/I]
                      [I][SIZE=3]Died Jan 31, 1862[/SIZE][/I]
                      Bummers
                      Backwaters

Comment

I can back up the quality of Village Tinsmith's Canteens.I have a bullseye canteen from them and it is great!All you need to do(as mentioned above)is replace the cover and the chain.Also,I have seen all of their other wares in person and they are suberb!
                        Shawn Sturgill
                        Governor Guards
                        SCAR

Comment

Gents,
                          Remember: Let's document some stuff here. I'm thrilled that folks are happy with their canteens, BUT...
                          Unlike many things in the hobby, you either get the oblate spheroid correct, or you don't. Finding a new strap or cover is not big deal, but if you start with a poorly reproduced piece of tin, then you're pretty much hosed.

Let's talk details, boys. Post pics, if'n you got 'em!
                          John Wickett
                          Former Carpetbagger
                          Administrator (We got rules here! Be Nice - Sign Your Name - No Farbisms)

Comment

I bought a new Philadelphia Depot Canteen from S&S Sutler this January. I think it's great. The smoothside canteent is made of Tin, Pewter Spout, has a Jean Cloth Cover, Rope Cork Holder, and a Duvall Canteen Strap. Can't really beat and I can't wait to use it this year.

Comment

Originally posted by LibertyHallVols View Post
                              Gents,
                              Remember: Let's document some stuff here. I'm thrilled that folks are happy with their canteens, BUT...
                              Unlike many things in the hobby, you either get the oblate spheroid correct, or you don't. Finding a new strap or cover is not big deal, but if you start with a poorly reproduced piece of tin, then you're pretty much hosed.

Let's talk details, boys. Post pics, if'n you got 'em!
                              I agree and would like to repeat what John is saying.

Just because someone bought a canteen from Mr. Woos House of Tin and is happy with it don't make it right.

The question is what makes something right? The test of this forum is and always has been to compare reproduction items to originals. Saying "it makes me happy or is a great widget" does not mean a hill of beans when no one else knows what criteria was used to make that statement.

The reason I started the Show and Tell page was for this very reason. For example: There used to be a leather vendor who had a reputation in the hobby for making good accouterments. I bought one of his cap boxes and it was a POS but most people thought it was great because he made it. That's whenI realized that many people were depending on a vendor to tell them what was right because they didn't know what the originals looked like. Not all vendors are like this but there are enough to put out some really incorrect items.

I knew that many did not have access to original items to use as comparisons so what started out to be a page with a couple of original canteens ended up being lots of other things.

That is why posting a picture is important so you don't get a crappy cap box like I did.

Enough of the soap box for now.
                              Last edited by Jimmayo; 03-06-2009, 09:06 PM.
                              Jim Mayo
                              Portsmouth Rifles, Company G, 9th Va. Inf.

CW Show and Tell Site
                              http://www.angelfire.com/ma4/j_mayo/index.html

Comment

I also picked one up from S&S recently, made by Axel Ulrich. Tim stocks a lot of Axel's tinware in his shop and I am extremely pleased with mine. It too features a leather strap made by Nick. They run about $70 with all the features mentioned in the previous post. It truly is a steal.
                                Attached Files
                                [FONT="Book Antiqua"]Respectfully,
                                Joseph S. Danner

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
                                [COLOR="Red"]The Pine River Boys - 7th Wisconsin, Company I[/COLOR][/FONT]

Comment

Working...
                                X