Who makes the best ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who makes the best ...

... Refurbished sword handle for an original M1850?

I need to get mine recovered.

Thanks!
    Joe Smotherman

Re: Who makes the best ...

I knew I'd seen this before, so I did some digging through old threads and came across this : http://www.cds1.net/~nardi/swords/index.htm Site is still up. I've never used them, but I'm sure others here have.
    Silas Tackitt,
    one of the moderators.

Click here for a link to forum rules - or don't at your own peril.

Comment

Tom Nardi in CA and Jeff Leathers in Murfreesboro, TN. I've used them both over the years.
      Matt Woodburn
      Retired Big Bug
      WIG/GHTI
      Hiram Lodge #7, F&AM, Franklin, TN
      "There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Comment

Matt,

Do you have any contact info for Jeff?

THanks,
        Jordan Ricketts

Comment

I was thinking of sending my sword to Tom Nardi. Has anybody dealt with him in the past?
          Robert Johnson

"Them fellers out thar you ar goin up against, ain't none of the blue-bellied, white-livered Yanks and sassidge-eatin'forrin' hirelin's you have in Virginny that run atthe snap of a cap - they're Western fellers, an' they'll mighty quick give you a bellyful o' fightin."

In memory of: William Garry Co.H 5th USCC KIA 10/2/64 Saltville VA.

Comment

Matt,

Do you have current contact info for Jeff? I know him and his work.

Joe
            Joe Smotherman

Comment

Robert,

I have used Tom Nardi for a several restorations in the past and would not hesitate using him again in the future. I am sure there were several posts by me lost in the great AC Forum crash of 2006 which had expressed the following few sentences. Specifically, I have used him to rewrap handles in correct materials and methods and procure original sword and scabbard parts which I was having a terrible time finding. I have also talked to him about other projects where he suggested just leaving them alone because he did not want to destroy the integrity of the original specimen. (This is something refreshing in which you do not find everyday in a "businessman"...I wish more were like him!) I have found him very pleasant to work with over the years, he discussed the project, made recommendations based on well researched methods and personal experience, did better than expected (I am pessimistic in nature when it comes to restoration services), his prices were and are still very reasonable, and he had a good turn-around time within the timeframe he quoted for completion.

As a personal rule, I usually don't make high recommendations in public forums. In my experience, Tom is an exception to that rule.

Matt
              Matthew Semple

Comment

Thanks Matthew

I will give him a call.
                Robert Johnson

"Them fellers out thar you ar goin up against, ain't none of the blue-bellied, white-livered Yanks and sassidge-eatin'forrin' hirelin's you have in Virginny that run atthe snap of a cap - they're Western fellers, an' they'll mighty quick give you a bellyful o' fightin."

In memory of: William Garry Co.H 5th USCC KIA 10/2/64 Saltville VA.

Comment

I've also had some work done by Tom Nardi and he was a pleasure to deal with. He did an excellent rewrap job on a M1840 artillery saber and provided a repro Type I scabbard that I use in the field. Click image for larger version

Name:	before1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	249.5 KB
ID:	223724Click image for larger version

Name:	after.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	151.8 KB
ID:	223725

Regards,
                  Kevin French

Comment

Hallo!

I have talked with Tom N..

He is sometimes hesitant to undertake work on originals, and the repros at times, because of the way swords are assembled.
                    Basically the blade has a "rat tail' type tang that extends through the hollow grip handle and slightly beyond the pommel of the guard. When the "grip and guard" were fitted, the end of the tang was carefully peened over to hold it tightly in place. To remove the grip for replacement, it is necessary to file down the end of the "pommel" to remove the peen to allow the tang to slide through.
                    To reassemble it, the now shortened end of the tang has to be repeened enough to hold the whole thing together.

On a repro it is not as "sensitive" an issue.

Curt
                    Curt Schmidt
                    In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
                    -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
                    -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
                    -Vastly Ignorant
                    -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Working...
                    X