• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Cotton City Columbus Depot Jacket

So...you will be getting these jackets dirty, I hope??? :o
    Tom "Mingo" Machingo
    Independent Rifles, Weevil's Mess

Vixi Et Didici

"I think and highly hope that this war will end this year, and Oh then what a happy time we will have. No need of writing then but we can talk and talk again, and my boy can talk to me and I will never tire of listening to him and he will want to go with me everywhere I go, and I will be certain to let him go if there is any possible chance."
    Marion Hill Fitzpatrick
    Company K, 45th Georgia Infantry
    KIA Petersburg, Virginia

Comment

Reference Cotton City, they are just great! Becky made me a great pair of trousers 4 years ago that are now not just well worn, but still going strong. I have several trousers from very reputable vendors and hers were unbeatable.

Sorry to hear of the health problems, but couple that with Katrina and you spell major disaster. therefore it is understandable they are not taking orders. I hope they start up again in the future because I want another set of trousers and jacket from them. I wondered why their site had not been updated with a new phone number and why my emails bounced when I tried to contact them. Best of luck and recovery to them.

Layton Pennington

:D
      [FONT=Times New Roman]Layton Pennington[/FONT]
      Member, Company of Military Historians
      Member, Society for Military History
      Life member, SCV
      Life member: Veterans of Foreign Wars,
      American Legion, Disabled American Veterans

Comment

Hi Layton,
        just to re-iterate I spoke to Becky as recently as 22nd August and she was still taking orders then (but said to contact her first about delivery time - 6 months or more I believe she said - similar to County Cloth). The phone number and e-mail were also working fine on the website:-

There may be another 'dead website' out there so maybe try that link?

Hi Tom,
        hope to get the jackets dirty at some point, but my wife is expecting at the end of the month and too many night-shifts right now to do much else, but no sense in not being prepared....... :)

Best regards, Paul Jonsson. (England, UK)
        Paul Jonsson (England, UK)

Comment

Perfectly understandable Friend. I was just "ribbing you" about getting the them dirty - they are beautiful jackets, especially the Tait. Best regards, Tom
          Tom "Mingo" Machingo
          Independent Rifles, Weevil's Mess

Vixi Et Didici

"I think and highly hope that this war will end this year, and Oh then what a happy time we will have. No need of writing then but we can talk and talk again, and my boy can talk to me and I will never tire of listening to him and he will want to go with me everywhere I go, and I will be certain to let him go if there is any possible chance."
          Marion Hill Fitzpatrick
          Company K, 45th Georgia Infantry
          KIA Petersburg, Virginia

Comment

I spoke with Becky several times over the phone several times when I was constructing my Mystery jacket. She was a tremendous help on many of the details that sometimes an instruction sheet cannot provide.

Very nice folks to deal with, and very knowledgable.:wink_smil
            Christopher E. McBroom, Capt.
            16th Ark. Infantry - 1st Arkansas Battalion, C.S.A.

Little Rock Castle No. 1
            Order of Knights of the Golden Circle

Comment

I have a CD jacket and trousers made by Becky. She is one of the nicest people that I have had the pleasure to deal with in the hobby. The jacket and trousers are top notch! I am glad to hear that she is back in the uniform business.
              Regards,
              Dan McGraw
              GG-Gson of Patrick Maher, Co E, 1st Minn Cavalry
              GG-Gson of Charles Orth, Co G, 2nd Minn Infantry

Comment

Dennis Neal called me today and asked me if it would be alright for him to write a post here letting folks know what is really going on with Tom and I these days. I told him it was fine by me, and when I got home I thought I would read your posts and see what Dennis was referring to. Now I find myself a bit teary eyed and quite humbled as I step into this conversation ... first I must say thank you for the kind words so many of you have written. There are no words that could adequately express just how much this community, and those of you we have been privileged to sew for, has meant to Tom and I. Needless to say, you can't imagine how we have missed sitting around those campfires (singing bawdy songs) :wink_smil with our dear friends. Reenactors and historians have been a huge part of our lives since 1989.

As has been posted here, the trials we have found ourselves struggling with in our personal life has indeed brought us to our knees and just as we ever begin to find ourselves standing, something else comes along to knock us right back down again. Much to my chagrin, sewing has often taken a back seat to the crisis of the day. It has pained me to do so, but I have turned down many orders from fellas who need things by any kind of deadlines. Still, admittedly, (much to Tom's chagrin) I have told folks that if you don't care if it takes me six months or six years to get it out to you, I will put them in the que. We still have fabric and supplies we need to use up. In addition, slowly but surely, I am writing a book on "How To Make Your Own Durn Uniform" which I will sell from my web site. This will be the ultimate step by step, stitch by stitch, guide complete with detail photos ... so bear with me, and nobody hold their breath, but it will be awesome when it is done.
                So, is that what one can consider "back in business"? ... gosh, can I ever say I was out of business since I still have orders I am trying to clear from way back when? (actually, I admit I kinda squeaked Paul in between orders ... because I'm a sucker for a sweet talkin' Brit in a uniform! What can I say...:embaresse) Dirk Behana has been waiting patiently for several years now for a frock I promised to make him .... no, don't get excited, I don't make frocks anymore ... he sweet talked me too!

Now, I don't mean to sound as though I am a whiner or a complainer about the hand that life has dealt us, as so many other people have it so much worse than we do, but dang, some times it seems Job didn't have much on Tom and I! Still, as though we haven't had enough on our plates, we find ourselves in a struggle against time for life.

Tom is in end stage renal disease ... he has Polycystic Kidney Disease. His kidneys are about the size of footballs now, maybe larger. (hence his inability to do much in the way of hardcore campaigns lately) Last Thursday he had a graft put in his arm for dialysis, something that we are praying he never has to use. Studies have shown that if you can have a transplant before you ever have dialysis it can add up to ten years to your lifespan. (call me selfish, but I can't deal with the thought of losing a single day with my soul mate) So, please, please, keep us in your prayers, at his last appointment with the nephrologist (a couple of weeks ago now) he was told he estimates he will be in complete kidney failure in around 120 days.

The waiting list for a transplant is six years and growing every day, leaving us with hopes of finding a living donor ... soon. I desperately wanted to be his donor (what greater gift for someone who has given so much to me), as we are both O pos., but they won't let me because of my high blood pressure. Tom's brother drowned at 24 taking with him his only best match, and his only sister, also has PKD, is on the waiting list now as well. Our son-in-law is a viable donor, but the wrong blood type, so we are trying to find someone who is in the paired kidney program, who needs Marks Type B, and who has a friend or relative who is a willing donor and happens to be a match for Tom. (a real long shot)

Secondly, I am writing as I suppose I need to apologize and give some explanation to Dave and the Vicksburg National Park for what I see as a grave misunderstanding. I can not bear to have anyone have ill feelings toward us, as nothing we have ever done in our endeavors has ever been to do anything short of giving our best to anyone.

Please know that we never made promises to gain access to the Jones jacket, nor have we ever forgotten. You see, one of the fellas I sew for was working there that summer, and he and another college student working there that summer were trying to write new detailed documentation for the jacket. We were asked to come and help and lend our opinions on what information they had gleaned pertaining to fabric weave, etc. We were fascinated and eager to see it as, for example, the inner-facing on the collar was described in their documentation as "corduroy". We questioned that description, and we were delighted to find out upon our seeing it that it was actually cassimere with a brown warp, juxtaposed to the jean bodice with clearly a white warp. (adding to the evidence that the warp starts out brown vs the theory that it turns brown over time) But that's another post.

The curator had mentioned to us that they had been given a lot of grief, right after the Jensen articles came out about it, by people who wanted to view the jacket. She told us they would get irate when she would refuse them and they would declare that this was a National Park and the collections belong to the people! She said she soon started getting calls and letters from politicians on these irate citizens behalf, hence the desire to keep it under the radar screen after much of the interest finally died down about it.

Anyway, we felt very honored and fortunate to have the opportunity to examine the jacket, and it was our suggestion to take the photos and make up a booklet that the park could then sell to folks who wanted to see it. And, my intent was to make an exacting replica that folks could see and hands on examine, however, that detail was what I truly wanted to do for the park, it was never promised, nor was it ever asked for.

Unfortunately, it was about that time that things once again really started falling apart at the seams in our personal life. My Dad had complications from Diabetes, and lost a leg. I single handedly had to move him from MO. to TX. as there was a new nursing facility close to my sister and we could better take care of him. The nursing facility infected his other leg with staff & psudomonas, he lost it too ... only to die soon after of sepsis. Between his last amputation and subsequent death, we found out my sister had a brain tumor, which she wasn't expected to live through, and if she did, devastating complications to look forward to. (Now this is my sister many of you have prayed for, who has a daughter with a terminal metabolic seizure disorder who is severely handicapped, yet another long story) Our Daughter back in Mobile, was expecting our second Granddaughter and had Toxemia so bad she had to be put on complete bed rest ... with a 3 year old running around .... So, there I was, running back and forth between Mobile and Texas ... taking care of everybody, still sewing, and just trying to keep my sanity, while Tom took care of all he could at home, and with his real job as a chemical engineer.

Since I go right through Vicksburg, on two of my many trips home from Waco, I stopped in to see the curator, photos in hand, to discuss which ones she thought were best, both times she was out, so I left word at the visitors desk that I had been by. I had even spoken to her by phone on one occasion to let her know what was happening with my family, so she knew my circumstances. It was the week after I got home after my Daddy died, that I received a very curt letter from her, demanding that I send her all of the photos I had taken ... to be honest, I just didn't have the emotional energy to deal with her obvious petty attitude at the time ... she just absolutely stepped on my very last nerve, I had a really good cry as I was feeling at the time that no good deed will go unpunished, then I put the letter away (doing my best Scarlett "I just cant think about this right now... after all tomorrow is another day") and never heard another word from her. Thus, having stayed behind the 8-ball ever since anyway, the things I had hoped to do for Vicksburg park has not just been put on the proverbial back burner ... it is behind the stove. Now, one of these days, before I die, I really do hope to do the things I wanted to do for the park. Until then, I'm still eating the elephant one bite at a time....

I will always remain your humble servant,
                Becky Nall
                Cotton City Tailors
                Mobile, Alabama

Comment

Becky,

Thanks for the outstanding dept of Alabama Jacket. I have had a couple, but yours is the only one I still have.Your work is great. Thanks for the outstanding work!!

Brent Brumagin
                  Brent Brumagin

Comment

Becky-

If you ever get into Waco again, look me up and I will show you the Jenkins' CD jacket.

Joe Walker
                    Waco

Comment

Becky,

I have a pair of trousers and a Columbus Depot you made for me several years ago, and they are still in wonderful condition. You have done excellent work!! I will certainly pray for your family situations. I always look to Jeremiah 29:11 to give me hope, and keep Job's faith!!

CY
                      [FONT="Book Antiqua"][B]Christopher P. Young[/B]
                      [/FONT] [URL="http://bullyforbragg.blogspot.com"]Army of Tennessee[/URL]
                      [URL="http://www.antebellumpoliticing.blogspot.com/"]Our Federal Union, It Must Be Preserved[/URL]
                      [FONT="Palatino Linotype"]"Of all the properties which belong to honorable men, not one is so highly prized as that of character." Secretary of State Henry Clay, July 27,1827[/FONT]

Comment

One of these days I will learn all the ins and outs of posting on a web site! Sorry for the repeat, I thought I had messed something up and didn't realize the first one actually made it in.
                        Beck
                        Last edited by COTTONCITY; 09-17-2007, 04:09 PM. Reason: Accidently repeated my post, please delete this first post #26.

Comment

Oops, sorry, I wasn't certain how to edit my above post ... but when I made reference to the Jensen articles, what I had intended to write, and was referring to, was the Geoff Walden CD study. I stand corrected! I mixed up two of my favorite historians there.
                          :embaresse
                          Becky

Comment

Working...
                          X