Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cedar Creek Bootees

Friends,

I am a new federal campaigner in the hobby and am looking for my first pair of brogans. I have searched the forums for discussion on the various vendors' selections and have heard great things about the quality of Cedar Creek Supply Depot's Jefferson Bootees. I have been in correspondence with the Lammers about acquring a pair soon for the season, but I wondered if any of you could share your opinions concerning their brogans' authenticity and how they'd stand up at more authentic events such as At High Tide, which I have registered to attend.

Thanks for all your help in getting me started.
    Jarret Michael 'JM' Wasko

Re: Cedar Creek Bootees

I have had a pair for years that have held up well. Have you been in contact with the Lammers after Jim died? If so, I'm glad to see them going back to work.
    Frank Perkin

Comment

I bought a pair directly from Cedar Creek last March. They arrived right away and are holding up nicely.
      [SIZE="3"][SIZE="2"]Todd S. Bemis[/SIZE][/SIZE]
      [CENTER][/CENTER][I]Co. A, 1st Texas Infantry[/I]
      Independent Volunteers
      [I]simius semper simius[/I]

Comment

If money or lack thereof is what is making your decision on what shoes to purchase, I would advise you to save up and get yourself a pair of Missouri Boot and Shoe bootees. I just purchased a pair of 12'' Civil War boots and Confederate shoes and craftsmanship and the service was incredible. Got both pairs of shoes within 2 months of having ordered them. Bob Serio is a great guy to work with and is very helpful when ordering if you have questions. His shoes are the closest things to the originals I've seen. Ten years from now when your shoes are still going strong, you will not regret buying from MB&S. Just me $0.02 hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Josh Sawyer
        Liberty Rifles
        Best Regards,

Josh Sawyer

Comment

My first pair of shoes came from Jim about six years ago. They are just about finished so I am looking to get a new pair. But that is my fault that they did not last longer as I used and abused them.
          With Jim passing away (he'll be missed) I'm not sure about Cedar Creek now. I know his family was going to continue but it is not Jim anymore. I will be looking at MB&S myself for my purchase.
          Respectfully,

Jeremy Bevard
          Civil War Digital Digest
          Sally Port Mess

Comment

I would recommend that you take a look at Orchard Hill an approved vendor. Dan and Jo have excellent cusomer service. They sell brogans by Mattimore Harness. Tom Mattimore is a top notch craftsman in my opinion. I have the Progressive (two pair in fact), and it is an outstanding brogan. I use wool socks from WW&Co and have not had any blisters from hot spots.
            Regards,
            Dan McGraw
            GG-Gson of Patrick Maher, Co E, 1st Minn Cavalry
            GG-Gson of Charles Orth, Co G, 2nd Minn Infantry

Comment

Many thanks to all for your replies. I have been in contact with the Lammers, Melinda I believe, and they are keeping the business going. I believe if you search the forums for Cedar Creek Supply, you'll find an explanation about how they're upkeeping the business at the end of the thread regarding the sad news regarding Jim. I regret that I came into the hobby too late to do business with him as I have heard great things.
              Though I will most likely go with MB&S at this point, what about Cedar Creek brogans' authenticity as I asked earlier? Will they hold up to the authentic campaigner standards?

Thanks again.

Comment

Missouri Boot and Shoe has a great pair of Jefferson Bootees. I have ordered some for myself and have seen a pair. They are very nice in my mind.
                Hope this helps
                Tyler McHone
                Liberty Rifles

Comment

I got a pair of Buckle Shoes from him and they were some of the best shoes I have ever wore.
                  Chad Wrinn

Comment

I can recommend the authenticity of his brogans. I've personally seen Jim's original collection. He had a pair of federal issued he was copying and handsewing. My understanding is that they will continue to copy the same pattern/quality. I can also recommend MB&S as I ordered a knapsack from them....service was SPECTACULAR! In fact, they checked their production line and called me back within the hour with an estimated delivery date.
                    Luke Gilly
                    Breckinridge Greys
                    Lodge 661 F&AM

"May the grass grow long on the road to hell." --an Irish toast

Comment

I bought a pair of buckle shoes from Cedar Creek and they are the best pair of shoes i have ever owned. They are just a really comfortable pair of shoes and they are documented from an original pair right out of the Echoes of Glory.As a matter of fact, Jim used to hang a picture of original brogans over top of his reproductions to show the accuracy. I also have bought a issac and campbell pack from MB&S and the quality is outstanding.
                      F & AM Chandlersville #858, Kentucky

"SLAVE STATES, once more let me repeat, that the only way of preserving our slave property, or what we prize more than life, our LIBERTY, is by a UNION WITH EACH OTHER!" ---Jefferson Davis

Comment

Hello, comrade-

I would recommend Robert Land's Federal brogans- I have a pair and they have held-up for 11 years VERY nicely.

But, I have a 2-rivet bayonet scabbard fron Cedar Creek and it is quite nice, so I know Mr. Lammers work. I'll bet his bootees are just as good.

Thanks- Johnny Lloyd
                        Johnny Lloyd
                        John "Johnny" Lloyd
                        Think before you post... Rules on this forum here
                        SCAR
                        Known to associate with the following fine groups: WIG/AG/CR

"Without history, there can be no research standards.
                        Without research standards, there can be no authenticity.
                        Without the attempt at authenticity, all is just a fantasy.
                        Fantasy is not history nor heritage, because it never really existed." -Me

Proud descendant of...

Comment

Thanks for all the further recommendations. From what you've all said, I'm guessing Cedar Creek as well as Robert Landstand up to the ever-growing authenticity standards. Correct? I know this might be getting off subject, but would anyone happen to know of some online articles available speaking about Civil War Federal Brogans in detail? Thanks again.

Comment

You cant go wrong with Bob Serio.He has great products and service.I have had shoes by all of the before stated and the MBS are the best for me by a long shot!
                            Kiev Thomason
                            a.k.a. King Corn:baring_te
                            WIG
                            Armory Guards
                            Forest Park Lodge #399
                            Forest Park GA.

Comment

I agree with Kiev, I have thoroughly enjoyed my Donnelsons from MB&S. They fit better than any other shoes that I have and are the most comfortable pair of leather soled boots that I own by a long stretch.
                              Matthew S. Laird
                              [email]CampMcCulloch@gmail.com[/email]
                              [COLOR="DarkRed"]Rogers Lodge #460 F&AM

Cane Hill College Mess, Company H, McRae's Arkansas Infantry
                              Auxiliary, New Madrid Guards Mess
                              [/COLOR]
                              [I]"An association of men who will not quarrel with one another is a thing which has never yet existed, from the greatest confederacy of nations down to a town meeting or a vestry. "[/I] Thomas Jefferson

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Working...
                              X