Cedar Creek Bootees

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Cedar Creek Bootees

Take a look at this thread from about 5-6 months ago.

What I said then, I say now.

Regards,
    Matthew Easley

Comment

Re: Cedar Creek Bootees

Traveling back in time almost 10 years, a nostalgic review of Cedar Creek Supply Depot's bootee by Mike Cunningham in the Summer 1999 issue of The Watchdog:

"This manufacturer offers an extremely blunt nosed pair of bootees with soles that are even squarer than issue specimens, but not more so than some private purchase boots. The soles are quite sturdy and made with two thicknesses of leather. The uppers are also thick, closely cropped and smoothly finished. In fact, everything about the bootees is thicker and heavier than originals, which may please reenactors who are hard on their gear. The soles are pegged in two rows. three per inch. The pegs resembled large match sticks, 1/8 inch square, and seemed to be set randomly and not always flush with the sole; thereby resembling Confederate work. Original Federal pegs tended to be diamond shaped, 3/32 inch long and 1/16 inch wide, set flush with the sole and oriented so that the longer end faced the toe along the length of the side. The soles were also attached to the uppers using overgenerous application of cobbler's glue which is visible despite blacking. The heels are stout, but were attached with only nine nails each, two per inch. The height of the uppers in the rear was 4-1/2 inches. The bootees lacked lace holes in the vamp at the instep."
      Now, for what it's worth, I personally own a few pairs of Cedar Creek brogans and I would say, without any hesitation, that they are some of the most accurate and some of the most durable boots out there; more so then they at times given credit for. I consider myself fortunate to own some of Jim's fine work (especially in his earthly absence), as he was a fine maker of great quality leather items; items that will be sorely missed by the hobby. Outside of MB&S and some of Robert Land's work, the availability of "acceptable" and especially "dead on" accurate footwear is, well, few and far between.
      Last edited by WoodenNutmeg; 10-03-2008, 01:23 PM. Reason: Typographical

Comment

Working...
      X