Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: "candle box"

Hi,

Now, this leads to another question: does anybody sell newly made, authentic Civil War-type matches, or are we pretty much stuck with strike anywhere Ohio Blue-Tips (which are becoming increasingly hard to find)?

I have been looking for the same thing.
    Andrew Kasmar

Comment

I know that matches of those type are still being used today in Europe, mainly Germany. I've never ordered any, but have a few friends who get them sent to them from family in Germany. I guess you'd have to check around different German sources and then see who is willing to ship them overseas (not even sure the current legalities of such enterprise).
      Ross L. Lamoreaux
      rlamoreaux@tampabayhistorycenter.org

"...and if profanity was included in the course of study at West Point, I am sure that the Army of the Cumberland had their share of the prize scholars in this branch." - B.F. Scribner, 38th Indiana Vol Inf

Comment

As it happens, I just ran across one of these lanterns online, for sale in used condition. I did a search and couldn't find any documentation or examples. I do some reading and writing by candlelight while in campaign scenarios, and the usefulness of a simple reflector/wind break came to mind pretty early on. It's a real challenge to read or write by just a candle stuck in the ground. I decided to buy the lantern, and later the same day this thread appeared.
        Large numbers of campaign diaries exist. Do we think that all of them were written in the daytime? It seems to be a given that the same desire for a small, reflecting, fairly windproof device would have existed if all these diaries exist. If keeping a diary helped keep up your morale on campaign, a small device like this would not be any burden to keep with you on the march. A surgeon or clerk would definitely want something like it.
        The repro device in question works on the same principle as the original that Steve Sullivan posted his pictures of. It's just less elaborate and about 2 inches higher.
        The idea that an infantryman absolutely would not carry one is extreme. I don't think it falls into the category of 'useless haversack stuffer'. It ain't one of these foot high deals with an iron hook to hang from your wall tent.
        I generally look for what I can get rid of rather than add to a campaign kit. An opportunity to read and write are about the only luxuries I bring to the field, which I think is true of many soldiers then. I weighed the novelty aspect versus the actual usefulness and decided to try using one.
        Mr. Sullivan’s meticulous photos verify that this type of device was around.

Todd Bemis
        1st Texas Infantry, Co. A
        [SIZE="3"][SIZE="2"]Todd S. Bemis[/SIZE][/SIZE]
        [CENTER][/CENTER][I]Co. A, 1st Texas Infantry[/I]
        Independent Volunteers
        [I]simius semper simius[/I]

Comment

re Blue Tip matches

"Strike Anywhere" kitchen matches do not seem to be available in Penna or NJ. Who lives where they are still available? I have a bro & sis -in-law in Wyoming who are my supply source, but they can only bring them if they drive out east. Flying with them or shipping them is apparently taboo.

thanks

Ron Myzie

Comment

Re: re Blue Tip matches

Ron,

If you aren't able to find them in grocery stores, try a stove shop. The Diamond strike anywhere kitchen matches are in good supply still in NY, some parts of PA, and, as hard as it is to believe we can buy anything down here, this is one of the few items that can actually be purchased in MD.

For those who didn't read the matches thread the last few times around, see the matches thread.
            [B]Charles Heath[/B]
            [EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]heath9999@aol.com[/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Spanglers_Spring_Living_History/"]12 - 14 Jun 09 Hoosiers at Gettysburg[/URL]

[EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]17-19 Jul 09 Mumford/GCV Carpe Eventum [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="beatlefans1@verizon.net"]31 Jul - 2 Aug 09 Texans at Gettysburg [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="JDO@npmhu.org"] 11-13 Sep 09 Fortress Monroe [/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Elmira_Death_March/?yguid=25647636"]2-4 Oct 09 Death March XI - Corduroy[/URL]

[EMAIL="oldsoldier51@yahoo.com"] G'burg Memorial March [/EMAIL]

Comment

For strike anywhere matches try Hardware stores too. That is where I get mine.

Crabby
              Beth Crabb

IN LOVING MEMORY OF
              John Crabb July 10, 1953 - Nov. 25, 2009

Comment

Originally posted by rogue View Post
                Here I go, kidnapping again, but I could not resist.
                Mr. Briggs and Mr. Heath both mentioned topics that recalled one of the goodies I picked up way back then that was identified to Captain Shipman. This is a neat folding candle lantern. No labels nor makers mark. Folds into a 4X4X1 inch piece of work. Painted black with embossed decorations.
                Steve Sullivan
                You ought to see if Pat Cunningham could copy that one as well, considering the wonderful job he did copying the folding candle-holder/matchsafe combo!:D
                [FONT="Comic Sans MS"][COLOR="Blue"]Richard Knack[/COLOR][/FONT]

Comment

Hello
                  I've this one in a book antique tin and tole vare from MEGould .
                  But I think Yesyes is right 1 could be good , a lot is a mistake .

Bisous
                  Luc géraudie

Comment

I for one think some candle boxes could have been made out of cartridge box tins but im still researching so if any one know if thats true please let me know.
                    [B]Pvt. Jordan Coffey
                    -37th Virginia Infantry-
                    -Wampus Cats Mess-
                    "Southen Guard Drum & Fife Corps"
                    [/B]

Comment

Working...
                    X