Suspenders vs. Civilian Belts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suspenders vs. Civilian Belts

I've searched the forums and looked in other various places,but I am still curious as to the fact of suspenders vs. civilian belt use to hold up one's trousers.What I would mainly like to know is how common the use of civilian belts instead of suspenders was,in both armies?Is it under/over represented in the hobby?
    Shawn Sturgill
    Governor Guards
    SCAR

Re: Suspenders vs. Civilian Belts

I believe the wearing of a civilian belt to hold up ones trousers is under-represented in this hobby. I notice, at least, that most re-enactors / living historians / historical interpreters, tend to lean towards bracers more so than belts. After viewing tons of photos on the LOC I have noticed many examples of both belts and braces, as well as other means; at least in the photos in which you can make out what type of device is being used to hold up the individuals trousers. This also brings up the the use of rifle and cartridge box slings as belts; it was done, but how often to we actually see individuals in this hobby doing so. One must keep in mind also that belts and bracers of all sorts were private purchase, so in any case it would be ones own personal preference. I my self tend to use a roller buckle waste belt as it is quite comfortable and works wonderful, not to mention I do not have to worry about popping trousers buttons. Also remember if the trousers fit, then there is no need for any of these devices.

Here you can see braces being worn, circa 1864 photo 111-B-252 from the National Archives:
    http://www.archives.gov/research/civ...il-war-001.jpg

Here is a photo of a federal individual using a cartridge box sling to hold up his trousers; can be found on the Hard Case Boys forum:
    http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i9...engineers2.jpg

here is another examples of a federal wearing a roller buckle belt to hold up his trousers:
    http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j1...shadyfeds1.jpg

Just a few examples, I'm sure other individuals on here will be able to help you far more, but I hope this gives you a boost in the right direction; Happy Hunting!
    Sean M. Lamb

[I]"Our Reg't is composed of Germans, Dutch-Americans, and Irish they being the majority and very hard set. Our company is composed of the same stock, we can not agree very well with the Irish."[/I]
    James A. Peifer
    Co. C 46th Penna. Vol. Inf.

Comment

There are more than two options for holding up your trousers. When I forget to switch suspenders from the trousers I wore at the last event to the ones I'm wearing at the current event, I avail myself of the leather at hand : either the sling from my rifle or a coat/blanket strap. Sometimes I intentionally use a strap instead of suspenders.

At Banks, one of the guys in my company blew out a suspender button while we were on the march. (He had been getting by with only one in the back at the time as the other one had popped earlier that morning. Paper backed, tin buttons are murder to suspender button thread.) The remedy was me wrapping the sling from his Enfield twice around his waist. He'd never seen that done before.

Although I am using a reenacting practice to describe a period related question, I am hard pressed to believe soldiers then would not have used a readily available leather strap to solve a similar trouser problem. From what I've seen, poorly made suspenders are over represented in the mainstream hobby. Interestingly, finely made civilian belts seem to be over represented in the kewl circles.

I've seen photos of Federal who tucked their coats into their trousers as a method of holding up the trousers. Cannot recall if they also had belts or not.

I don't think there is a hard and fast rule about what is the thing we must all use to keep our trousers from falling to our ankles during battle. Here there is some latitude about choice. Bottom line is this : if you want to wear a belt, you've got more choices than a civilian belt. If you've never worn a belt, try an alternative before plopping down the bucks for a good civilian belt. Nothing like spending good money for something kewl and not using it. If you want to wear suspenders, get something more period appropriate than what is sold by streamer sutlers. Gear junkies can provide a better guidance on my next statement, but from what I've noticed, the greater problem with streamer suspenders is the hardware, not the fabric.
      Silas Tackitt,
      one of the moderators.

Click here for a link to forum rules - or don't at your own peril.

Comment

See this thread...we kinda discussed this topic a bit:

-Clay Pendleton
        Clay N. Pendleton
        Muncie, Ind.
        Memberships:
        CWPT, NTHP, AASLH, AAM, Phi Alpha Theta, NAWCC

Comment

Questions such as these are so situational it's hard to give a completely correct answer. The way I have always set my uniform is based on what the unit I am portraying had/was issued. Take for example the 124th New York impression that I do most. Each man was issued a pair of suspenders in 1862 and then they were sent pairs from home by soldier's aid societies through 1864. Given that each man was issued a pair, I have 1000 reasons to wear suspenders instead of a belt, but then there are 5 letters I've read where soldiers have requested belts to be shipped from home. The dicotomy grows...So to help make the desicion I throw in my personal likes and dislikes; that i am one who hates suspenders(can't stand the feeling of them). I will always side with what the soldiers actually had when choosing the items to add to my uniform. When history gives me a choice between two or more period correct items, I let my personal feelings choose one or the other.

Just my humble opinion,
          Ryan McIntyre
          124th New York State Volunteers
          Founder of the Squatting Bullfrog Mess & the "Leave your politics at home" Mess

"the Doctor says that I have got the Knapsack complaint that is I cant carry a knapsack that is a disease of my own getting up for I can lift as much as eney[sic] of the boys"
          Joseph H. Johnston
          March 16th 1863
          Camp Convalescent

"It takes twelve men and a corporal up there [brigade headquarters] to take care of a few trees and salute the officers as they pass these are all the orders we have, but it is military I suppose..."
          Henry M Howell
          March 8 1863
          In camp Near Falmouth

Comment

Hello,

Here are some great examples of civilian workers wearing belts that I was able to locate. I don't know the origin of them but I hope they are helpful. One of the photos is of a group of black laborers, notice that some are wearing belts, others are wearing braces and then it appears there are some who are wearing neither.

Best Regards,

Josh Sawyer
            Liberty Rifles
            Last edited by westcoastcampaigner; 09-28-2008, 07:20 PM.
            Best Regards,

Josh Sawyer

Comment

I agree with these guys. I do believe it is under represented in the hobby. I also believe it is just your preference. My 2 cents,
              Cpl. Ryan Halsey
              Wampus Cats Mess
              Mossy Creek Mess-SCAR
              Breckinridge Greys
              Liberty Rifles

Comment

Silas,

Excellent post. Matter of fact, I wore a cut down roller buckle belt at Marmaduke's Raid this past weekend, and from what I can tell it didn't affect the flavor of neither the beans nor the desiccated potatoes one whit. Several men commented that it may have improved the flavor of the chicken.
                [B]Charles Heath[/B]
                [EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]heath9999@aol.com[/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Spanglers_Spring_Living_History/"]12 - 14 Jun 09 Hoosiers at Gettysburg[/URL]

[EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]17-19 Jul 09 Mumford/GCV Carpe Eventum [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="beatlefans1@verizon.net"]31 Jul - 2 Aug 09 Texans at Gettysburg [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="JDO@npmhu.org"] 11-13 Sep 09 Fortress Monroe [/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Elmira_Death_March/?yguid=25647636"]2-4 Oct 09 Death March XI - Corduroy[/URL]

[EMAIL="oldsoldier51@yahoo.com"] G'burg Memorial March [/EMAIL]

Comment

Josh,

Those guys all worked at the Sligo Iron Works in Pennsylvania during the Civil War. Although I was interested in their uniformity of work attire as well as their knit shirts, I did notice the use of belts. Definitely a wonderful set of employee photos in their entirety.
                  Brian White
                  [URL="http://wwandcompany.com"]Wambaugh, White, & Co.[/URL]
                  [URL="https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wambaugh-White-Company/114587141930517"]https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wambaugh-White-Company/114587141930517[/URL]
                  [email]brian@wwandcompany.com[/email]

Comment

Did anyone notice the length of the trousers in the pic posted by Sean?
                    --John Van Sickle

Comment

Originally posted by Swag View Post
                      I believe the wearing of a civilian belt to hold up ones trousers is under-represented in this hobby. I notice, at least, that most re-enactors / living historians / historical interpreters, tend to lean towards bracers more so than belts. After viewing tons of photos on the LOC I have noticed many examples of both belts and braces, as well as other means; at least in the photos in which you can make out what type of device is being used to hold up the individuals trousers. This also brings up the the use of rifle and cartridge box slings as belts; it was done, but how often to we actually see individuals in this hobby doing so. One must keep in mind also that belts and bracers of all sorts were private purchase, so in any case it would be ones own personal preference. I my self tend to use a roller buckle waste belt as it is quite comfortable and works wonderful, not to mention I do not have to worry about popping trousers buttons. Also remember if the trousers fit, then there is no need for any of these devices.

Here you can see braces being worn, circa 1864 photo 111-B-252 from the National Archives:
                      http://www.archives.gov/research/civ...il-war-001.jpg

Here is a photo of a federal individual using a cartridge box sling to hold up his trousers; can be found on the Hard Case Boys forum:
                      http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i9...engineers2.jpg

here is another examples of a federal wearing a roller buckle belt to hold up his trousers:
                      http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j1...shadyfeds1.jpg

Just a few examples, I'm sure other individuals on here will be able to help you far more, but I hope this gives you a boost in the right direction; Happy Hunting!

Agreed, when I first started out reenacting that was the number one thing I noticed. "Wow a lot of suspenders." So that very moment I saw a number of pictures of soldiers some wearing civilian belts and ever since thats what I have been wearing.

Comment

I am looking for additional original wartime (or prewar) images of soldiers and/or civilians wearing suspenders & trouser belts. If anyone has some or runs across examples that they are willing to share, I would appreciate the help. My email is: poilu1917@aol.com. Thanks in advance!
                        Respectfully,
                        Jon Bocek

~ The Dandy Man Mess / WA / VLH / LR ~

Comment

Working...
                        X