Sometimes the old uniform won't due

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sometimes the old uniform won't due

While performing a search of google books about Iowa troops at Vicksburg, I came across this account from a, then, sergeant of the 5th Iowa. It caught my eye due to the issue about his need to show his advanced status after an unexpected battlefield promotion.

QUOTE:
    "One morning when out there at the front among our riflemen, who were forever blazing day and night at every Rebel fort and rifle pit, I noticed our good Colonel Matthies creeping along the trench to where I was. He had a package of brown paper in his hand. Imagine my surprise and pride to have him come to me and say : "Sergeant, this officer's sash is yours." Then he announced my appointment as adjutant of the regiment. He had been made a general now, and would soon leave for his new command. This sash was one that he had worn and honored on many a battlefield. Is it any wonder that now, after the long and perilous years, it is preserved by me as a souvenir of honor ? Soon after, I went to a sutler's store on the Yazoo River to buy a sword and uniform. In those days swords were not given to officers by committees in dress coats, until they had been earned. This little trip to get my sword almost cost me my life.

My path to the river, six miles away, lay partly along a ridge and partly close to an empty Rebel fort. This fort showed scarcely any signs of having ever been used. I stayed all night with the [95] sutler, whom I knew very well, and at noon on a hot day started, on my big yellow government horse, to go back to my regiment. My sword was buckled on me and my new uniform was tied in a bundle on my saddle-bow. It was too hot to ride fast, and my horse almost slept as he slowly carried me close by the seemingly abandoned fort. Suddenly there was a crash and a whole volley of musketry rattled about my ears. My poor horse fell dead. It was a quick awakening, but I managed to pull my bundle from the saddle-bow and to escape into a ravine where our own troops lay. There I learned that the fort had been occupied by the Rebels in the night, while I was with the sutler. It was a close call for me. One of the boys declared he could save my saddle and bridle. "Take them as a present," I said, "if you can get them." He crept up to where my dead horse lay, and as he rose to his feet to undo the saddle another volley from the fort hastened him to the ravine. I laughed. " If your saddle and bridle were made of gold and silver," he shouted at me as he ran back, "I wouldn't try it again."

This was from With Fire and Sword by Maj. Samuel Hawkins Marshall Byers of Sherman's Staff (1911) at pages 94 - 95.

It would appear that wearing the old uniform when being bumped from the ranks won't always do. This account also caught my attention because I'm in the process of sewing a new sack coat for Piney Woods. My old one with the sergeant's stripes just won't do.
    Last edited by Matt Woodburn; 10-24-2008, 12:18 PM. Reason: spelling error
    Silas Tackitt,
    one of the moderators.

Click here for a link to forum rules - or don't at your own peril.

Re: Sometimes the old uniform won't due

Most interesting. Even more reason to never be an officer!! :D
    Just a private soldier trying to make a difference

Patrick Peterson
    Old wore out Bugler

Comment

Yellow horse.....sounds like a Palomino to me....
      RJ Samp
      (Mr. Robert James Samp, Junior)
      Bugle, Bugle, Bugle

Comment

6 miles to the sutler! Man that would get a reenactor griping.
        "Bowen's division sustained its reputation by making one of its grand old charges, in which it bored a hole through the Federal army, and finding itself unsupported turned around and bored its way back again" - Gen. Pemberton's chief engineering officer

Sam Looney
        1st Missouri Battalion
        Trans-Mississippi Brigade

CWPT

Comment

Working...
        X