Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

19th Massachusetts Volunteer Infantry Regt.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 19th Massachusetts Volunteer Infantry Regt.

Hello,

I'm rather new to the AC forums, though I've been skimming the forums to gain insight over where to buy items for my current eastern Federal impression I have put together.

Using the search bar, I've found a few threads about the 19th Mass Vols., but nothing conclusive. These threads have given information ranging from "sabre bayonets" being issued to the regiment (not conclusive), to formations in battle, and various other tidbits of information. To put it out there, I have already read the unit histories that are available to me, and have searched through various archives that I can access down here. But, these have had little to say about what they were equipped with.

I'm a college student in Gettysburg, PA, and it's a bit difficult for me to gain access to Mass. state museums and archives when I'm down here 70% of the year (though I "live" in CT). So, I'm asking the AC forums what they can tell me about the 19th Mass. Vols. equipment. I've read in books and through accounts that "Short's Knapsacks" were commonly issued in New England states, as well as special "Massachusetts" haversacks. Then of course there's the whole "English accoutrement" thing to deal with-- at the moment I know the 44th Mass was issued with this kit, but that's about it.

Essentially, I have just run into a brick wall with my research when it comes down to the equipment they were issued. As soon as I return to CT/Mass in May, I will be heading to various archives in MA as well as the Mass. Nat'l. Guard Museum in Worcester. I've run through MOLLUS, NARA, and pretty much every single online archive searching for any documentation--only to find nothing. I know the importance of "ground work" when it comes to research, which is why I'll be doing that later when I am near the pertinent archives. At the moment I am only asking for a little bit of basic assistance from those who have already looked into the 19th's equipment.

Thanks!

-Paul Kramarz
    (unaffiliated)
    Last edited by feldkuchdienst; 04-20-2010, 04:52 PM.
    Paul Kramarz
    (unaffiliated)

Re: 19th Massachusetts Volunteer Infantry Regt.

I say, just keep scratching around and asking other folks like you just did. In some searching for clues to what the 44th Mass had I have come across other things that were interesting but not relevant to my end. It can be most interesting to search for photos of men from the unit, they can tell you things - sometimes - not written down.
    I think Mass. was sort of a special case, it sent its own purchasing agents abroad to secure arms...the state printed its own version of one of the drill manuals. The 44th got entire English leather gear, and carried Enfield rifle-muskets. Some other regiments got a mix, and I think the state sold off its English gear to other new england states later in the war, but I no longer remember where I have read that.
    Don't neglect to have a loook round some of the local historical societies where members of the 19th were from. They may hold some photos or memoirs that could be better than what you see in an archive. Often you will find listed that "muskets" or "rifles" were issued....little help there. Well, good luck - if I have found anything I'll post a link here.

Dave Stone
    David Stone

Comment

Have you been through these two books on google :

Reminiscences of the Nineteenth Massachusetts regiment By John Gregory Bishop Adams and

History of the Nineteenth regiment, Massachusetts volunteer infantry, 1861-1865 ?

I've previously used a quote from the latter book regarding a story where a banjo and bones were the musicians during a morning or evening parade.
      Silas Tackitt,
      one of the moderators.

Click here for a link to forum rules - or don't at your own peril.

Comment

Originally posted by Silas View Post
        Have you been through these two books on google :

Reminiscences of the Nineteenth Massachusetts regiment By John Gregory Bishop Adams and

History of the Nineteenth regiment, Massachusetts volunteer infantry, 1861-1865 ?

I've previously used a quote from the latter book regarding a story where a banjo and bones were the musicians during a morning or evening parade.
        Those are the largest sources I have encountered so far, and though I have previously read through them, they did not yield anything specific in terms of equipment. There are many interesting anecdotes and stories within them, and they both helped to fill out my knowledge on the Regt. itself. One thing learned is that many were wearing the white Trefoil/Club of 2nd Corps 2nd Div. by the time of the battle of Gettysburg. (P.224 "History of the Nineteenth") But, once again, the books do not offer any insight as to what specifics they were issued in terms of gear- in specifics knapsacks, haversacks, and bayonets.
        Paul Kramarz
        (unaffiliated)

Comment

Paul,
          The only thing that I can add for you is that the 19th were issued Enflied Rifles, American Accoutrements, and were formed around the 1st battalion Rifles Militia unit. There was some discussion on the boards about the 19th a couple of months ago about the weapons they carried. The issue was never really resolved but i may have some other info I can try and dig out
          I am, etc.
          Thomas Gingras
          Awkward Squad Mess
          Columbia Rifles
          Honorary SRR "Yankee"

Comment

Don't forgot to research the social and political make-up of the officers and men of the 19th MVI. Authentics, and re-enactors in general, have an obsession with material culture. And while interesting, no important lessons can be drawn from what jacket a unit wore.

BB
            Bill Backus

Comment

Paul,

Welcome aboard! Badass Billy Backus is most certainly right. It is all too easy to get hung up on what gear a unit carried, and entirely miss the historically important thing that makes them a group of men worth studying. I think our collective obsession with gear, and painfully narrow focus on the war years makes the CW crowd kind of a backward cousin in the academic study of history...but I digress....

One piece of advice I would also give, is that while it is excellent to immerse yourself in the record of one regiment that you are interested in/fond of, your opportunity to portray that regiment at events will be severly limited. I know from what you posted on the New England Campaigner listserv, that you are new to CW. In the "better" or history heavy events that are attended by folks on this forum, the unit portrayed usually varies from event to event. As an example, my home unit is the 1st Maine Cavalry, but in all the events we have done in the last ten years, we have never actually portrayed the 1st Maine!

Take care,
              Tom Craig
              Tom Craig

Comment

According to Fred Todd's "Americal Military Equipage, Vol. II," the 19th MASS was "Initially Issued state blue fatigue; 3 original companies wore dark green uniforms trimmed with light green; Company 'K' wore zouave dress: blue jacket, light blue full pants, blue fez, russet leather gaiters, Enfield rifle. 1862: US regular infantryclothing. 1862-1864: Enfield rifle."

Hope this helps. Some of Todd's info is not the most current reaseach available but I find his volumes generally useful.
                Bob Williams
                26th North Carolina Troops
                Blogsite: http://26nc.org/blog/

As [one of our cavalry] passed by, the general halted him and inquired "what part of the army he belonged to." "I don't belong to the army, I belong to the cavalry." "That's a fact," says [the general], "you can pass on." Silas Grisamore, 18th Louisiana

Comment

For what it is worth, and should anyone need future reference on this particular volunteer regiment from Massachusetts, the Boston Evening Transcript of August 27, 1861 reported that the regiment was indeed armed with Enfields. The Fall River Daily News of the same date also reported the regiment as having been armed with Enfields.

-Sam Dolan (3rd great grandson of Pvt John L. Tibbetts, 19th Mass Vol. Inf.)
                  Attached Files
                  Samuel K. Dolan
                  1st Texas Infantry
                  SUVCW

Comment

Working...
                  X