Correct buttons for RDII for Longstreet Corp for Chickamauga

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Correct buttons for RDII for Longstreet Corp for Chickamauga

In regards to the "Gibson" wooden buttons being repro'd, I have personnally visited the MoC to view originals they have in their collection and looked through additional images not found in the article. I have taken measurements and photographs of an original button that I believe to be the most common style found on RDIIs. Please keep in mind, this wasn't the only style wooden button seen on original RD tunics or in period photographs, but it does seem to be the most common style when all are compared together in regards to probable RD usage.

That being said, I shared this info with a vendor that expressed interest in offering this unique style of wooden button and he is working on getting a prototype done. I have also just heard by from another source that they can in fact make this button as well. So in short, we should be seeing this become available before the Chickamagua event in one way or another.
    Respectfully,
    Jon Bocek

~ The Dandy Man Mess / WA / VLH / LR ~

Comment

Dan, I ordered mine from MB&S in the remarks you have to put 4 hole buttons.
      Jake Nott
      4th VA CO A
      Anchor Lodge #283
      Valley of Columbus 32°

Comment

Hey Dan, you have probably already seen this but in case you haven't I thought you would want to.
        The attached thread includes some pictures of original wooden buttons as well as the script I's exactly as they were described by Mr. Burt.
        The images Neill has provided are huge help in bringing to light not only materials used, but construction techniques as well.
        Cameron Stinnett

A E K D B

Comment

Jake, you are very correct, Mr. Serio (MB&S) will do four hole wooden buttons upon request, he told me so himself! We are gonna have a grand time at Chickamauga. Merry Christmas from yer pards in the "Eastern" Co A, 4th Va!
          Victor Sarna
          Sgt
          Company A, 4th Virginia Inf.
          Stonewall Brigade

Comment

Victor and to all, Merry CHRISTmas
            Jake Nott
            4th VA CO A
            Anchor Lodge #283
            Valley of Columbus 32°

Comment

Aye Sir! Tis all about the CHRIST!

Originally posted by Jake Nott View Post
              Victor and to all, Merry CHRISTmas
              Victor Sarna
              Sgt
              Company A, 4th Virginia Inf.
              Stonewall Brigade

Comment

Other buttons that are overlooked are the general service "CSA" type. SIC&Co also provided huge numbers of these too, but I have yet to discover one with the SIC backmark.

Dave Burt[/QUOTE]

Dave: The "CSA" buttons are not common if you use dug ones as a ruler. They pop up occasionally but not very often. I would not recommend using these. However both the old english I and the "CSA" buttons have been found with no backmark or several other backmarks in addition to the SIC&Co. This would suggest a slightly greater quantity being used than is reflected on the import documents. Still not as common as the roman I or eagle button IMO.
                The pic attached is a representative group of buttons I found in CS lines from the Dimmock line to Crater road. I have another group around here recovered in the area from the Church Road to Hatchers Run. If anyone is interested I will take a picture and post it. Since CS units were rotated in various positions in these Petersburg lines it is not possible to determine exactly who was using what.

One note of interest on the Block I buttons found in Petersburg; a fair amount of what are called puff I buttons from the Western theater are also found. They are like a standard roman I button but constructed a little differently. All I have seen have tin backs.
                Click image for larger version

Name:	Conf Button the Salient.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	223640[QUOTE=DBURT;231279]
                Jim Mayo
                Portsmouth Rifles, Company G, 9th Va. Inf.

CW Show and Tell Site
                http://www.angelfire.com/ma4/j_mayo/index.html

Comment

Nice link! I too am wondering what type of buttons to use on a jacket I'm having made for Chickamauga. This helps.
                  David Parent

The Cracker Mess
                  MLK Mess
                  Black Hat Boys
                  WIG

Veterans would tell of Sherman's ordering a flanking movement and instructing a subordinate how to report his progress: "See here Cox, burn a few barns occasionally, as you go along. I can't understand those signal flags, but I know what smoke means"

Comment

Jim,

You are right about the "CSA" general service button not being that common. I never thought that SIC even provided them until I went through the cargo list of the captured SIC&Co ship the "Stepen Hart" - named after Samuel Isaac's father-in-law. In this I found that SIC had sent "625 gross" of buttons marked "CSA".
                    I have never seen that many, and certainly never seen any backmarked with the SIC stamp.

Dave Burt
                    David Burt, Co Author "Suppliers to the Confederacy: British Imported Arms and Accoutrements" "Suppliers to the Confederacy II: S. Isaac Campbell & Co, London - Peter Tait & Co, Limerick, Out Now

Comment

Just a heads up, the repro MB&S wood buttons look nothing like the wood buttons documented to eastern use even after making them four hole. The overall shape and cut would need some work to get them somewhat close. Not saying Serios buttons are wrong, they are good when comparing them to other Deep South originals, but if you want a more definitive Richmond wood button you will need to do some extensive alterations or look elsewhere.
                      Respectfully,
                      Jon Bocek

~ The Dandy Man Mess / WA / VLH / LR ~

Comment

From the existing originals I have seen and those in pictures, I believe you are right, Mr. Bocek. I have found acceptable-looking 4-hole Richmond-style buttons on Etsy. Just have to do some looking around.
                        Joe Knight

Armory Guards
                        Yocona Rip Raps
                        "Semper Tyrannis."

Comment

I tried having custom turned wood buttons made to match the Gibson style but the manufacturer drastically increased the minimums and price several times to the point that I couldn't afford it and there wouldn't be enough people in all of reenacting to use them. That said, I was told several weeks ago that Mr. Serio may be developing the Gibson wood buttons himself since he already offers the "deep south" variety. I don't know if this project has progressed.

For my own jacket I used a wood button somewhat similar to the Gibson style but it's not quite perfect. These were covered with a varnish that I removed by soaking the buttons in acetone before air drying them and soaking them with linseed oil. I considered purchasing this style for sale by the dozen or available for kits and finished jackets, but learned that not only are these the incorrect style, they are also laminate! Not bad for a temporary button though...they will be coming off of my jacket as soon as I decide on a replacement.
                          Attached Files
                          Brian White
                          [URL="http://wwandcompany.com"]Wambaugh, White, & Co.[/URL]
                          [URL="https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wambaugh-White-Company/114587141930517"]https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wambaugh-White-Company/114587141930517[/URL]
                          [email]brian@wwandcompany.com[/email]

Comment

Working...
                          X