Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Researching Early War Ohio

Hi,
    Does anyone know where I could go to find out research and uniform requirements for Ohio units during the early part of the Civil War? I have emailed the Ohio Historical Society, but they have not gotten back to me yet. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Brandon Russo
    Cpl. 114th Pa Co.E
    Collis Zouaves
    B & D Historical Tailoring
    Brandon Russo

Re: Researching Early War Ohio

Wander over to the Clark County museum in Springfield. Last time I was there, the stuff that was on display was enough to occupy me for a good while.

With OHS, I looked at the online collection, then made a listing of the types of things I wanted to see, included some specific accession numbers and asked for anything else of the sort, then gave them some dates I was available. They were quite helpful.
    Terre Hood Biederman
    Yassir, I used to be Mrs. Lawson. I still run period dyepots, knit stuff, and cause trouble.

sigpic
    Wearing Grossly Out of Fashion Clothing Since 1958.

ADVENTURE CALLS. Can you hear it? Come ON.

Comment

Hallo!

I was not home today to search for you... but if they have not been eaten by prior AC Forum crashes, you should find a number for most excellent posts on arming and uniforming Ohio in 1861/1862 done a while back by John Sarver aka "Agate" (IIRC) in the archives.
      John had pulled up some great sources in the Ohio Historical Society and even some rare trivia stuff such as the congressional inquiry into the Fremont supply scandal.
      And, had done a regiment by regiment arms and uniform over view as well.

Hopefully it was not lost... in Cyber Space.

Curt
      Curt Schmidt
      In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
      -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
      -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
      -Vastly Ignorant
      -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

As Curt said, hit up that search button. There have been some recent threads on Ohio Jackets and early war clothing, equipment issues from AG records. Given the number of regiments Ohio sent to the field in 61-62 your question is really broad. Ohio units were clothed/equipped in every possible combination and it varied from regiment to regiment. Narrow your request to a specific unit during a specific time and you will be much happier with your answers. A focused question will also help with your request to OHC. Happy to help when you dial it in.
        JOSHUA MANN
        121st Ohio Vol.
        Yo Mess

Comment

Ok thank you guys! I will have to go down to the Clark County Museum every soon! As for the forum articles, I will see if I can find them. When were they posted? Thanks!
          Brandon Russo

Comment

The dates vary, but if you use the search function and type in "Ohio", "Arming Ohio", "Ohio jacket", and Early Ohio Uniforms", you should be able to find them fairly easily. Be aware, though, that they primarily discuss infantry units. Is there a specific regiment you're interested in?

Jim
            James Brenner

Comment

Don't forget regimentals! Sometimes they are a gold mine of info.
              Ken Cornett
              MESS NO.1
              Founding Member
              OHIO
              Mason Lodge #678, PM
              Need Rules?

Comment

Brandon,

Just in my immediate area I can think of: The McKinley Museum and National Memorial, Massillon Museum, Western Reserve Historical Society....just to name a few. They all possess early war uniform items, and that hardly covers Eastern Ohio. Merely just the I-77 corridor between Canton and Cleveland.
                Todd Morris

Proprietor, Morris & Company Historical Clothiers

http://morrisclothiers.com

Canton Lodge #60 F&AM Canton, Ohio

In Memorium: Pvt. Simon Morris, Co. G, 78th OVI Died: April 14, 1863 Jefferson Barracks, Missouri
                Joseph Rezin Thompson, 1st W.Va. Light Artillery
                Azville W. Lindsey, Co. G, 12th W.Va. Volunteer Infantry

Comment

If you can give me an idea of what you are looking for, surprisingly the West Virginia archives here in Charleston, WV have a great deal of information. Or make the trip to Columbus as they have a ton of record books for the various regiments, it was a great resource for us during the planning for Floyd's Folly.
                  Stephen Pavey
                  "The Broadside Mess"

Comment

Working...
                  X