Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Washington Ives Diary and Letters

Chris,

I'm happy someone is looking at the stuff I posted! Here is a little tidbit you might find interesting: http://www.authentic-campaigner.com/...148#post173148

"Much thanks to Ms. Betts for posting it all those years ago.

MOBILE REGISTER AND ADVERTISER, May 17, 1864, p. 2, c. 2
    [From an Occasional Correspondent.]
    Columbus, Miss., May 14, 1864
    . . . Since I wrote you have received the statement which I promised you from the indefatigable Quartermaster here, Major W. J. Anderson, formerly of your city.
    During the past seventeen months he has furnished the army with 51,000 jackets, 50,000 pairs pants, 7,191 coats, 1,859 overcoats, 27,440 shirts, 15,278 pairs drawers, 20,415 hats and caps, 51,277 pairs boots and shoes, 23,220 pounds cooking utensils, 3,000 tents, 3,700 blankets; and within this period he was frequently out of material, and on several occasions operations were necessarily stopped for one to three weeks.
    A large portion of the material for jackets, pants and coats was furnished by the Choctaw factory, from which he is now receiving monthly about 18,000 yards of jeans and linsey. Most of the shirting goods was woven by ladies in the country for Sherman & Ramsay of this place, who were under contract to furnish the goods. The hats and caps were manufactured in this place by Hale & Sykes, and the skillets and ovens by Hale & Murdock, and Major Anderson will be able to supply all of these latter articles that may be required in the Department of Alabama and Mississippi and East Louisiana. Messrs. Sherman & Ramsay have until very recently supplied about 6,000 yards shirtings monthly and more than two-thirds of the shoes were manufactured in Lowndes, Oktibbeha, and Choctaw counties, of which from 2,500 to 3,000 pairs are received monthly.
    Cooped up as he is, away off here in Northwest Mississippi, Major Anderson has accomplished wonders, and it shows what an energetic business man can and may accomplish, as well as what our country (and even a limited portion of it) can supply. The foregoing figures will no doubt astonish you and your readers, and I give them in order that other parts of the Confederacy and the army may be encouraged and that other officers may be incited to deserve the mead as Major Anderson does, of "well done good and faithful servant." More anon. Rip Van Winkle."

Now this shows at at least this one Confederate Depot was making "Coats" into 1863, not just jackets. There is evidence that the Little Rock Depot was making frock coats with blue collars but I'm not sure if that was a C.S. or State depot. I have seen pictures of Georgia troops wearing frocks trimmed on the collars and cuffs too, along with the speculation that these were a Georgia state issue.

Will MacDonald

Comment

Will,

Thanks for that information!!!!

This further shows the use of "coats" later in the war as issued items. I feel that most people due to modern language differences with the use and definitions of common words changing, mistake descriptions of certain uniform items as being something it was not. For instance the blue cuffed jackets vs the blue collar and cuffed coat. Most people would classify this coat as a "Columbus Depot" type shell jacket do to the popularity of the research and the statement of blue cuffs and collars. I do not think this intentional, but rather a form of popular opinion because most of the research that has come to light is based off that "jacket". So we tend to label almost every jacket or coat with a description of having had blue collar and cuffs as a "Columbus Depot" jacket.

I also think that Coats were issued as winter garments and turned back in or sent home during the spring. So you would have seen a change in appearance of soldiers during winter months
      Last edited by creed1939; 05-07-2011, 01:27 PM. Reason: added text

Comment

this was very informative as to how Mr.Ives and his regiment lived in the field, thank you for posting this.
        Nick Sparks

Breckinridge Greys

Comment

Anyone have anymore thought on the subject.. Or New research?

Comment

Dont forget that when filling requisitions for clothing-- All Depots were searched for goods to complete the order-- so you get could get jackets and clothing from anywhere if your Department Depot was empty!

CSuniforms
            Tom Arliskas
            Tom Arliskas

Comment

Working...
            X