Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Navy and Marine Corps Discussion

Sven, Al, and Craig,
    Thank you for bringing this thread alive again! I had been watching it back in 2007 to see if it would go anywhere beyond the thread. I had forgotten about it until Sven dug it out and re-vitalized it. I will say my part now nine years later:

Moderators and AC Members,

As an active duty officer in the United States Navy who is stationed at the United States Naval Academy (USNA) and whom has just completed his thesis defense on the development of the naval officer profession in the early American republic, I believe that a Navy and Marine Corps Forum must be created here at the AC. It would be greatly beneficial for those who are interested in sharing research, discussing a mostly neglected aspect of the war, potentially creating and coordinating future events, and improving the impression of those who do pursue this mostly neglected portion of the American Civil War Reenacting/Living Historian community.

To further explain how I could contribute to such a Forum:
    My current active duty billet is History Instructor at the United States Naval Academy on a three year rotational tour. I only have 2 years and 9 months left here at Annapolis. That being said, I currently have unlimited access to the USNA Special Collections and Archives, special access as requested by me to the USNA Museum Collection, and various other accesses to important correspondence of the Secretaries of the Navy and Secretary of War through the end of the Civil War period. Once I transfer back to the operational fleet, I will not have the access I currently have. In short, I can share research that is not common to most.

I strongly believe that myself and others can share research in a newly created Navy and Marine Corps Forum.

Just my thoughts as an AC member since 2003 (profile shows 2006 due to having to re-register in 2006 after the Great AC Server Crash of 2005).

With the Kindest of All Regards,
    Matt Semple
    Last edited by Matthew Semple; 09-22-2016, 12:52 AM. Reason: Added Clarifying Information About My Current Billet Assignment
    Matthew Semple

Comment

I'm in the Great Pacific North Wet (yes the 's' is missing) and always looking to improve my impression. My group is mainstream. It's how we make numbers to stay viable but are open and encouraging to lifting the impression. Though we sometimes are an awkward fit in our sham battles, the audience doesn't know any different and purposely look us up to find more. As we draw those who have or are serving, we wish to give them factual information and not give the picture of Joe Ragpicker. So I vote for anything that helps pull it all together.
      Mike Stein
      Remuddeled Kitchen Mess

Comment

Comrades,

If I may respectfully inquire: Was there any thought given by the Authentic Campaigner Forum administrators to incorporating a Navy and Marine Corps forum, as several Comrades suggested in the above thread? I suspect there are enough members of the A/C interested in conducting a quality and highly authentic Navy/Marine impression that a forum would generate substantial activity (including quite a few of us who are active or former USN/USCG/USMC).

Thank you for your consideration, and please have a great Navy evening.
        Last edited by Chad Teasley; 05-01-2017, 12:06 AM.
        Chad Teasley

"Mississippians don't know, and refuse to learn, how to surrender to an enemy."
        Lt Col James Autry, CSA, May 1862

Comment

Being a veteran of the Marines myself, and of Southern roots, I'm interested in anything about the CSMC. I'm actually putting together an 'impression' for the SCV Color Guard.
          Respectfully,
          Al Martin
          Campaigner stuck in mainstream...

Comment

I would be interested in learning more in regards to authentic naval impressions, as I feel that they are overlooked in the hobby.
            Robert M. Farley
            24th VA Inf. (New River Rifles)

"Let us cross over the river and rest under the shade of the trees"
            - Thomas J. Jackson

Ancestors of Note:

Pvt. James R. Farley- Co. I, 60th VA Inf. C.S.A (3rd Great Uncle)

Comment

This is an interesting subject....Last Semester my oldest son who is in his third year at the Naval Academy wrote a paper on this subject concerning the Vicksburg and Shiloh Campaigns.

Comment

Dear Dale ...and the other intrested fellows in the CS Marines / CS Navy , US Marines!/ US Navy
                @Dale: Can you send me a digital copy of that work, please?
                @all the others: Seems this thread is sleeping again.
                - There have been some events in & before 2017. 2015 the 150th Battle of Saylors Creek in whom the organisation persons try to do it as authentic as possible. The discussion in the forefield and some of the sources are on fb: https://www.facebook.com/groups/6742...1289127631013/ Thanks to James Dallas Thompson for bringing this forward!
                - Than there are the yearly/x-yearly events in the USA. Some offering school of the sailor (Old Fort jackson). Next seems to be: Naval Event at Drewry's Bluff (VA) May 19 -20, 2018
                - Our european/german group is still doing their (small) work here in the old world. With ups (7) and downs (1) we are now 3 active CS Marines. There are also some "hang arounds". The last events were spend on outposts in the woods and long hot battle days in the sunny fields of a dammn hot german summer (104 oF in the shaddow). (if the woolen frock is allready sweeted its´cooling in fact :wink_smil ). The CSN and USN show up somtimes but could see more presents.
                - I´m still working on our homepage. This years project is to show some new better pictures of the uniforms and equipment on our homepage. There´s allready a good .pdf for use in the unit in printform, but I´ve to bring that on the homepage again, as we saw some progression.

Attached some pictures!

Any european intrested persons are welcome to contact me for participating in our events.
                Any other contacts welcome too. The literature shown on our homepage is present and digital copys of articles can be send.

Best wishes fpr 2018/1863
                Sven Peters, CSMC, Co.A Germany
                Click image for larger version

Name:	20872_911343498886319_74823696296007896_n.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	184.3 KB
ID:	225528

Name:	12957451_1106086139412053_3142544639900958973_o.jpg
Size:	468.1 KB
ID:	225524

Name:	18836846_1519936584735927_679913840789697455_o.jpg
Size:	497.6 KB
ID:	225525

Name:	20170526_070847.jpg
Size:	2.36 MB
ID:	225526

Name:	Pvt SJ Peters 4.jpg
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	225527
                Attached Files
                Sven Peters

Comment

Here are a couple of pictures from New Johnsonville, TN. Click image for larger version

Name:	20171216_112016.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	1.50 MB
ID:	225742Click image for larger version

Name:	Navy contingent at New Johnsonville, TN. Dec.1864.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	95.3 KB
ID:	225743
                  Regards,
                  Allan Becton

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading."
                  Thomas Jefferson(?)

Western Independent Grays
                  Ga. Armory Guards
                  Savannah River Squadron

Comment

Originally posted by allan4570 View Post
                    Here are a couple of pictures from New Johnsonville, TN. [ATTACH=CONFIG]53714[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]53715[/ATTACH]
                    Is that second photograph original to 1864?
                    Michael Denisovich

Bookkeeper, Indian agent, ethnologist, and clerk out in the Territory
                    Museum administrator in New Mexico

Comment

Michael, the second photo was made by Sam Reed on an original camera, a couple of years ago.
                      Regards,
                      Allan Becton

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading."
                      Thomas Jefferson(?)

Western Independent Grays
                      Ga. Armory Guards
                      Savannah River Squadron

Comment

What color blanket did US Marines carry? Were they marked in any way?
                        JD Bright

Comment

Originally posted by Missionary Ridge View Post
                          What color blanket did US Marines carry? Were they marked in any way?
                          The USMC received one blanket for a four year enlistment.

This is the quote from the regulations of 1859:

"The blankets to be all wool, and to weigh four pounds; color gray, with the letters U. S. M. in black, four inches long; blankets to be seven feet long, and five and a-half feet wide; the letters U. S. M. to be placed in the center."

If your interested in finding out more about the USMC civil war uniforms check out this book,

It's expensive but worth every penny!

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Karl Jacob
                          Karl Jacob

Comment

Originally posted by Cpl DeFarb View Post
                            The USMC received one blanket for a four year enlistment.

This is the quote from the regulations of 1859:

"The blankets to be all wool, and to weigh four pounds; color gray, with the letters U. S. M. in black, four inches long; blankets to be seven feet long, and five and a-half feet wide; the letters U. S. M. to be placed in the center."

If your interested in finding out more about the USMC civil war uniforms check out this book,

It's expensive but worth every penny!

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Karl Jacob
                            I have also found out that the letters USM are most likely stenciled and not sewn on.
                            Karl Jacob

Comment

Been away a long time from this forum, but still alive. Due to the pestilence there were no events in 2020 here in Germany. Also there were no new recruits and we keept on in 2019 with two CS Marines. At least some routine comes in events with "no fresh men". ;-)
                              We made an upgrade with the cooking stuff and some of the equipment.

Got a new frock coat in the more GB import bluegray
                              Just a quickshot

Name:	für sich alleine 1.png
Views:	227
Size:	1.23 MB
ID:	279370

Hope we can find some new food for Nayv and Marines here.

Stay safe and well!
                              Sven Peters
                              Sven Peters

Comment

There's a unit out my way (Baltimore, MD) called Ship's Company that portrays early USN and Marines (1812 and 1860s). Thinking about joining up and further helping to educate the public on the USN during the early to late 1800s. Not sure of any reputable sutlers though.
                                Jameson Hughes

Comment

Working...
                                X