Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Paid Confederate agents promoted slavery

Originally posted by OldKingCrow
    From a strictly CS historical perspective, I am more interested in the period, primary text (letters, reports, periodicals)from which those extrapolations were derived moreso than the exact pg# and LOC Catalogue number.

I prefer to drink my history from the source as the well is often tainted with the poison of the vaguely supported, agendized piece-for-profit catering to the full spectrum of demographics.

But hey, color me kooky.
    I am hoping that the citations will tell us which original documents we might look for/at, if interested. It would, of course, be easier if the original post quoted directly from those documents, but I don't mind looking it up for myself. As for sources, all are tainted, to one degree or another, with agendas, target demographic considerations, exercises in "CYA" or other elements. That's why serious historians look for multiple and diverse sources and take everything they read with a grain of salt. If I am "preaching to the choir", I apologize. Chalk it up to my incliniation to assume that a guest, who might not be as knowledgeable and practiced, might someday peruse these threads. :omg_smile
    [I][/I]Die Gedanken sind frei
    John Thielmann[I][/I]

Comment

Originally posted by Crockett View Post
      Another good read on the subject ... Nott had his northern counterpart in Philadelphia physician Samuel George Morton who had achieved international fame for his skull research..."Types of Mankind" was based on his work. A great book for that well rounded education on slavery and race in America. Joe Mode
      Will look it up. Thanks, Joe

Dan Wykes
      Fat Neck Mess
      Danny Wykes

Comment

Originally posted by lukegilly13 View Post
        ...I was using the post as a plug for our social group! We recently hosted an event at a University. We called it a secession rally and were recreating the town meeting to determine whether or not our city would support secession in Tennessee...It was a great time for us...
        Luke -

At that event, was it slavery or some other State's Right that was the main claim? If slavery, was scientific superiority brought up?

Were uniformed soldiers (you or others) present?

Dan Wykes
        Fat Neck Mess
        Last edited by Danny; 11-14-2009, 06:42 PM.
        Danny Wykes

Comment

Originally posted by Danny View Post

Luke -

At that event, was it slavery or some other State's Right that was the main claim? If slavery, was scientific superiority brought up?

Were uniformed soldiers (you or others) present?

Dan Wykes
          Fat Neck Mess
          Well the event was a recreation of a town meeting in East Tennessee taking place in very early 1861 just before the state seceeded. East Tennessee was union dominate so the majority of the conversation was about the negative effects on our little part of the world if the state were to seceed. We did have a few guests from VA and Western Tennessee that were more rooted toward secession that touched on ones ability to make decisions for theirselves and not to be ruled by a distant government. We also had a Unionist slave owner from Kentucky who simply believed that Lincoln was not a threat to slavery that already existed...he argued that Lincoln was only opposed to the expansion of the institution. That said, the pro-secession arguments were geared more toward all aspects of state's rights (slavery included) since east TN had a very small population % of slave owners. Had the challenge of "human rights" been made in the debate I know that two of the speakers were prepared to support and two were prepared to defend. I would have to access the pre-event notes (if I can find them) to see if there were any sources supporting "scientific superiority" but I do not recall any from memory.

There were no soldiers present as the scenario was a pre-war town meeting where secession talk took center stage. We followed what is known about the original meeting as closely as possible...but as were so many things in Confederate history...the minutes were destroyed in a courthouse fire. We did have a couple of newspaper clippings describing the events of the evening however and were able to model what it may have looked and sounded like. The original meeting (if I recall correctly) was called in response to the meetings in Greenville, TN and Knoxville, TN with the agenda of discussing seperation from the state of Tennessee if it were to seceed.
          Luke Gilly
          Breckinridge Greys
          Lodge 661 F&AM

"May the grass grow long on the road to hell." --an Irish toast

Comment

Working...
          X