Bound for the Pelican State

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bound for the Pelican State

Next year I'm planning to take a trip down to Louisiana to check archives and sites for research on Ben Butler's military governance. Do any of you familiar with that corner of the earth have any suggestions?
    Will Hickox

"When there is no officer with us, we take no prisoners." Private John Brobst, 25th Wisconsin Infantry, May 20, 1864.

Re: Bound for the Pelican State

Confederate Memorial Hall in New Orleans. I believe either Tulane or UNO has CMH's document collection. Ask John Bangs or Patricia Ricci if you go there.

The Cabildo in New Orleans

Louisiana State Archives in Baton Rouge

Hope this helps.
    Timothy J. Koehn
    Boone's Louisiana Battery
    Supporting Confederate Memorial Hall, New Orleans, LA
    http://www.confederatemuseum.com/

Comment

Thanks, Timothy.
      Will Hickox

"When there is no officer with us, we take no prisoners." Private John Brobst, 25th Wisconsin Infantry, May 20, 1864.

Comment

Will,

Just get ahold of me when you come down and I will see what I can help you with.
        Timothy J. Koehn
        Boone's Louisiana Battery
        Supporting Confederate Memorial Hall, New Orleans, LA
        http://www.confederatemuseum.com/

Comment

Some reading material in the meantime :

General Butler in New Orleans: being a history of the administration of the Department of the Gulf in the year 1862 (published 1864)
          Silas Tackitt,
          one of the moderators.

Click here for a link to forum rules - or don't at your own peril.

Comment

Silas: Parton's book is indeed a terrific source and I used it for a college paper. Some other, very entertaining, primary sources which are good for the spirit of the times include "Beauty and Booty: The Watchword of New Orleans" by Marion Southwood and "The Journal of Julia Le Grand." both of them can be downloaded at Google Books or Internet Archive, or at least they were available several months ago when I conducted research.
            Will Hickox

Comment

I stumbled across the book about Butler and New Orleans while reviewing the four volume(!) set of Butlers public and private letters. Butler's bellicose nature and talent for logic were used to the fullest when he was placed on a commission dealing with prisoner exchanges after being reassigned from field command in 1864.
              Silas Tackitt,
              one of the moderators.

Click here for a link to forum rules - or don't at your own peril.

Comment

Working...
              X