Echoes of Glory: Arms and Equipment of the Confederacy [book]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Echoes of Glory: Arms and Equipment of the Confederacy [book]

First time posting, have been browsing around and using the forum to find sources for a week or two. I'm still relatively new to reenacting, have been doing it about two years now. Over this summer I really sort of dove head-first into research and gathering authentic, high quality gear.

I came across this book, Echoes of Glory: Arms and Equipment of the Confederacy, online recently and decided to order it. I think it was only like $6 or something like that. It was delivered the other day, and since I have been perusing through the pictures and reading some passages. It was put together by Time Life it seems.

My question is, has anyone else come across this book? And if so, in your experience is it accurate? There is a hearty list of seemingly quality sources, and overall it seems well put-together, if not a bit elementary. As someone who studies history in the academic sense, I typically avoid these types of coffee table books. However for reenacting, the pictures are pretty helpful.

Well, that's all. Thanks in advance for your input!

Re: Echoes of Glory: Arms and Equipment of the Confederacy [book]

The late Chawls Heath once called it, "the Confederate Coloring Book." Pawed through my set many, many times. You need the federal one, too.
    Silas Tackitt,
    one of the moderators.

Click here for a link to forum rules - or don't at your own peril.

Comment

Check out the Links sections as well.
      Thank You,

Brent Dacus

The AC Admin
      The Company of Military Historians
      Member, Civil War Preservation Trust

Are you reading? I still am...

Comment

This is a great primer on the basics.
        Folks used to build their impressions out of this set (US and CS) in the '90's and the '00's.
        Don't take it as the bible, though... Not all captions and references are correct... but you ARE looking at original items, rather than movies or repros, and that's the right direction to move.
        John Wickett
        Former Carpetbagger
        Administrator (We got rules here! Be Nice - Sign Your Name - No Farbisms)

Comment

I think my brother and I have five sets actually. Our grandmother gave us one that was passed around between us early on, and we probably looked at it five hundred times. This series is a great starting point, until one wishes to get into the single subject (and sometimes expensive) reference books.
          Mark Krausz
          William L. Campbell
          Prodigal Sons Mess of Co. B 36th IL Inf.
          Old Northwest Volunteers
          Agents Campbell and Pelican's Military Goods

Comment

Originally posted by Brent Dacus View Post
            https://www.authentic-campaigner.com/links/index.php

Check out the Links sections as well.
            Thanks for the heads up, I went through some of the links and it certainly seems like this book is pretty well-known on here. That's good, glad I happened across it.

Brent, I can already see myself looking for the books on more specific items/subjects...don't tempt me

Comment

Working...
            X