Rebel Yell Recordings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Rebel Yell Recordings

I have a book that a friend gave to me--she found it at a yard sale (she lives at those places in the summertime). It's called 'The Blue & The Grey', and no, it's not the book they made that ridiculous Patrick Swayze miniseries from back in the 80s. It's made up of first-person accounts. Official reports, newspaper dispatches, letters, memoirs, etc. Somewhere in there (I gotta dig for it--we got beaucoup windows out and a lot of rain damage) there is an account that, unless I remember it incorrectly, mentions noticeable regional differences in the yell. I recall the text on that 9th Virginia site being in there, but there were more also. Fairly detailed descriptions. I seem to remember three different versions being written out phonetically. I'll see if I can find it.
    Last edited by KentuckyReb; 06-03-2004, 01:17 AM.
    Micah Hawkins

Popskull Mess

Comment

Translated from Swedish;

"The rebs ran at us in theํr normal way, screaming and shrieking like little girls at play, but our volleys put them to their heels."

Gustus Eriksson
      Robert Johnson

"Them fellers out thar you ar goin up against, ain't none of the blue-bellied, white-livered Yanks and sassidge-eatin'forrin' hirelin's you have in Virginny that run atthe snap of a cap - they're Western fellers, an' they'll mighty quick give you a bellyful o' fightin."

In memory of: William Garry Co.H 5th USCC KIA 10/2/64 Saltville VA.

Comment

For additional listening pleasure, check the wav file at the bottom of the link:

Eric
        Eric J. Mink
        Co. A, 4th Va Inf
        Stonewall Brigade

Help Preserve the Slaughter Pen Farm - Fredericksburg, Va.

Comment

Working...
        X