Pinky Rings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Pinky Rings

Just got my carved bone federal shield ring in the mail today. It is possibly the BEST carved bone ring I have ever owned/seen/handled. It is too small for my fat man hands to wear however, so off the the collection it goes!
    Mitchell L Critel
    Wide Awake Groupie
    Texas Ground Hornets

Comment

Tristan, I purchased a gold pinky ring that I've gotten dated back to around the early 1870's...that's as accurate as I've been able to find. The gold rings from the period that I've found (including my own) have all had flaws (bumps in the narrow portion, indentions in the gold, etc) so they weren't 'perfect'. Also, they are very much thinner than rings that we're used to almost to the point of being 'dainty'. All of the photos that I've seen here have backed that point up.

Rick
      Your most humble servant,

Richard Green...

aka,
      "Professor Barclay: The Wizard of Edinburgh!"
      [url]www.wizardofedinburgh.com[/url]

Comment

The famous picture of Confederates captured at Gettysburgs shows one gentleman wearing two pinky rings on one hand. Hopefully it is attached.
        Last edited by Foggy Bottom Jim; 01-20-2008, 03:03 PM.
        Jim Reynolds
        Sykes' Regulars

"...General Jackson rode up & told them that they must look out, for those troops were the regulars & if they made the slightest mismove or wavered an instant all would be lost, for the regulars were devils & would cut them to pieces."

Comment

Originally posted by Foggy Bottom Jim View Post
          The famous picture of Confederates captured at Gettysburgs shows one gentleman wearing two pinky rings on one hand. Hopefully it is attached.
          As I read through this thread this was the first image I thought of and was wondering why noone had referred to it when I got to the last post and there it was. Someone once told me that in all likelyhood these were made of gutta percha.
          David Parent

The Cracker Mess
          MLK Mess
          Black Hat Boys
          WIG

Veterans would tell of Sherman's ordering a flanking movement and instructing a subordinate how to report his progress: "See here Cox, burn a few barns occasionally, as you go along. I can't understand those signal flags, but I know what smoke means"

Comment

I got some period bone rings in the mail today, but they were a bit too small for me...Thanks for the advice. I may make a non-descript gold ring in the near future, as well as tackle the task of creating a signet ring for myself. Any additional info is welcome.
            Tristan Galloway

Comment

Found this ad in the "The United States army and navy journal and gazette of the regular and volunteer forces, 1865-'66." Vol. 3. Why the file came out so small, I don't know. But it reads:

ATTENTION! Returning soldiers!
              Genuine Gold Rings.

All the Army Corps Rings, in 16 karat gold (stamped), richly en-
              ameled in the color of each Divi-
              sion, at $3 and $5 each. Liberal
              discount to dealers. Sent by mail.
              Address
              E. P. BEACH.
              12 Maiden Lane, New York.
              Attached Files
              Jason C. Spellman
              Skillygalee Mess

"Those fine fellows in Virginia are pouring out their heart's blood like water. Virginia will be heroic dust--the army of glorious youth that has been buried there."--Mary Chesnut

Comment

Not sure why the ring subject was in the Fraternal Orders section, but found photo of Brig. Gen. Alfred Iverson Jr. wearing a Masonic stick-pin:
                Attached Files
                Jason C. Spellman
                Skillygalee Mess

"Those fine fellows in Virginia are pouring out their heart's blood like water. Virginia will be heroic dust--the army of glorious youth that has been buried there."--Mary Chesnut

Comment

Working...
                X