Confederates Across Bridge in Fredericksburg

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Confederates across bridge in Fredericksburg

That's a really interesting sketch from the "camera side of things". Where did it come from? It appears there may have been some friendly banter going back on back and forth. I'm only assuming so, by the fella waving the Harpers Weekly, in regards to something. Very cool !
    Eric N. Harley-Brown
    Currently known to associate with the WIG/AG

"It has never been fully realized, nor appreciated by the people of the North-the great part in preserving the Union, the brave, loyal,and patriotic Union men, in the mountainous parts of the Southern states, rendered" - Orderly Sgt. Silas P. Woodall (2nd grt. grnd...) member of "Kennemers Union Scouts & Guides"-organized in Woodville, Alabama 1863.

Comment

Sir and ma'am, I see this drawing, (post 45), has been brought out in another thread and apologize for walking over it.
      http://www.authentic-campaigner.com/...871#post125871
      Again, sorry for the repetition.
      Mel Hadden, Husband to Julia Marie, Maternal Great Granddaughter of
      Eben Lowder, Corporal, Co. H 14th Regiment N.C. Troops (4th Regiment N.C. Volunteers, Co. H, The Stanly Marksmen) Mustered in May 5, 1861, captured April 9, 1865.
      Paternal Great Granddaughter of James T. Martin, Private, Co. I, 6th North Carolina Infantry Regiment Senior Reserves, (76th Regiment N.C. Troops)

"Aeterna Numiniet Patriae Asto"

CWPT
      www.civilwar.org.

"We got rules here!"

The War of the Rebellion: A Compilation of the Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies

Battles and Leaders of the Civil War: Being for the most part contributations by Union and Confederate officers

Comment

Russel of course is the photographer who captured the scenes at Marye's Heights (CS dead at the stone wall, etc) and elsewhere during the Chancellorsville Campaign. As for the bridge, the rebs destroyed it the previous year to keep the yanks out. It gave Burnside's engineers a chance to construct pontoon bridges on a large scale under fire the previous December.
        Soli Deo Gloria
        Doug Cooper

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Please support the CWT at www.civilwar.org

Comment

Has anyone ever confirmed what was in the window here? I have read Here that it was a cannon, but that does not seem correct to me. It looks more like a length of pipe simulated to resemble a cannon maybe. Any other thoughts?

CONFEDERATES BEFORE A UNION CAMERA The single known instance in which the Union photographers succeeded in getting a near view of the Confederate troops. After Burnside's fatal attempt to carry the heights back of Fredericksburg he had retreated across the Rappahannock leaving more than 12,000 dead and wounded on the field. A burial truce was then agreed upon with Lee and afforded Brady and his men the sad opportunity to record many a gruesome spectacle. Near the end of the railroad bridge in Fredericksburg was secured a view of the living men of Lee's
          army which had inflicted such terrible punishment upon the Union forces but a short time before. They were evidently quite willing, during the suspension of hostilities, to group themselves before Brady's camera set up on the partially repaired end of the bridge. Here we get a nearer view of the old mill in the preceding picture. A cannon has been placed in one of its upper windows for defense. Although these houses had escaped injury from the Federal bombardment, other Brady photographs record the ruins of the little town.
          Last edited by PetePaolillo; 03-12-2010, 06:17 PM.
          [SIZE=0]PetePaolillo
          ...ILUS;)[/SIZE]

Comment

So many problems with this caption it is hard to know where to start. It isn't just after the battle of Fredricksburg, but instead the following Spring, Brady was never involved (and there are no known photos of the dead of Fredericksburg), that isn't a cannon, etc.
            Soli Deo Gloria
            Doug Cooper

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Please support the CWT at www.civilwar.org

Comment

Doug, Thanks. I have seen many other inaccuracies on that particular website. When I saw the cannon quote, I just had to share it. I guess it is a case of some very creative writing. It is a good source however to look at original covers of Harpers Weekly etc . The captions on the other hand should be taken with a grain of salt.:wink_smil
              [SIZE=0]PetePaolillo
              ...ILUS;)[/SIZE]

Comment

Do we have any idea when this picture was taken, I mean prior to the actual battle or after? The buildings in the background appear intact and I always imagined the town being fairly well destroyed during the battle.

Comment

Originally posted by LibertyHallVols View Post
                  One thing that I notice right off the bat:
                  None of them are sporting the "Proper Rakish Hat Angle" so loved by us reenactors. Hats all appear to be pulled down low on the forehead to protect eyes from the sun.

Great pic!
                  Nor are they sporting the extra 200lbs of body fat so loved by us reenactors. They all appear to be thin from malnourishment and manual labor.
                  T.J. Bruegger
                  [B][FONT="System"]Tater Mess[/FONT][/B]

"That's right dude, the beauty of this is it's simplicity; once a plan gets too complex, everything can go wrong. If there's one thing I learned in Nam..." Walter Sobchak 1991

Comment

Working...
                  X