Large group of Federals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Large group of Federals

I have ZERO information about who these men are or when/where it was taken.

Ryan Burns
    The Skulkers Mess

GGG Grandson of 1st Sgt. Albert Burns
    3rd Mississippi Infantry Regiment

Re: Large group of Federals

Is Tex here pulling a pistol?

Great image with a vast group. Children and women in the group as well...
    Last edited by btfire; 06-04-2008, 11:32 PM.
    [I][B]Brian T. McGarrahan[/B][/I]

[URL="http://www.trampbrigade.com"]Tramp Brigade Mess[/URL]
    [URL="http://www.scarreenactors.com"]Southeast Coalition of Authentic Reenactors[/URL]
    [I][COLOR="DarkOrange"][B]GAME 07[/B][/COLOR][/I]

[CENTER]"[B][SIZE="2"]I am just here to get my name in the program. Wildcats![/SIZE][/B]."[/CENTER]

Comment

Dunno if he has a pistol or not, but from the construction of that shirt it looks like a Navy jumper.....
      Chris Utley
      South Union Mills
      [url]www.southunionmills.com[/url]
      [url]www.facebook.com/southunionmills[/url]

Comment

Hi,

The wide variety of jackets and head wear. Some men are wearing, sack coats, frock coats, private purchase jackets, state jackets, SA shell jackets. Another thing I wanted to point out is in the bottom picture, most of the first row of men are wearing boots.
        Andrew Kasmar

Comment

There also seems to be a guy wearing a corps badge (2 guys over from the "navy jumper" guy). Does anyone notice the extremely small child wearing a kepi?

Brandon English
          Last edited by BrandonEnglish; 04-22-2008, 02:31 PM. Reason: added name.
          Brandon English

"There is many a boy here today who looks on war as all glory, but, boys, it is all hell."--William T. Sherman

Comment

What an awesome picture.

Matt
            Matthew Thompson

Comment

2nd picture, 7th from the left, are those crossed cannon? or possible, Axes? i feel mayb this is a group of pioneers being the un-uniformity of the bunch. just my two cents.
              [B]Bob Spellman
              104 PVI company C[/B]

Comment

So much to see in this picture!

What exactly is the young lad with the crossed cannon/axes wearing- a shirt? Third picture, right next to the standing soldier wearing a dress coat, there is a man with a light-colored "shirt." And in the last picture next to the tree is a young man whose "coat" is also very light-colored.
                Bene von Bremen

German Mess

"I had not previously known one could get on, even in this unsatisfactory fashion, with so little brain."
                Ambrose Bierce "What I Saw of Shiloh"

Comment

That is one awesome picture dude!
                  Shawn Sturgill
                  Governor Guards
                  SCAR

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew Kasmar View Post
                    Hi,

The wide variety of jackets and head wear. Some men are wearing, sack coats, frock coats, private purchase jackets, state jackets, SA shell jackets. Another thing I wanted to point out is in the bottom picture, most of the first row of men are wearing boots.
                    You can see a few guys wearing lighter colored civilian hats as well. Doesn't appear to be all blue or black.

I also love being able to see issue shirts throughout this photo. You can see some guys wearing the 1851 shirts, and in my opinion, these are the coolest looking shirts in the world.
                    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Aaron Schwieterman
                    Cincinnati

Comment

Very interesting picture. I have heard some people in the community talk about not liking how all the guys don't have coats that look like they come from the same depot. I think this is a great example of how that doesn't have to be true. Is this on the campaign or in a established camp? Also, notice the variety in hair styles.
                      David Fictum,
                      Member of the Pennsylvania College Guard,
                      recent member of the 2nd WI, Co A

Comment

Originally posted by davidf View Post
                        I have heard some people in the community talk about not liking how all the guys don't have coats that look like they come from the same depot. I think this is a great example of how that doesn't have to be true.
                        But are these men all from the same organization? I can see one wearing what looks like crossed cannons and another what looks like an infantry horn, so I would presume this image is an amalgamation of several organizations.
                        Brian Koenig
                        SGLHA
                        Hedgesville Blues

Comment

Could this be a hospital? Just a guess due to the variations in uniforms, the headgear ornamentation, Corps badge, the child and the women in the windows of the building and a lone drummer. Also, can anyonoe make out the furniture in the tent or fly behind the wall tent directly behind the men? Looks like a table and benches.
                          Rob Walker
                          Co. H
                          119th NYSV
                          Old Bethpage Village Restoration

Old Bethpage Village Restoration and Castle Williams on Governors Island safe for now. Thank you to everyone for your help!!

"There is a fine line between a hobby and mental illness"

Comment

Originally posted by Rob Walker View Post
                            Could this be a hospital?
                            I had the same thought- maybe they are convalescing, or this is a last photo before they were sent back to their respective units?
                            Bene von Bremen

German Mess

"I had not previously known one could get on, even in this unsatisfactory fashion, with so little brain."
                            Ambrose Bierce "What I Saw of Shiloh"

Comment

Originally posted by Rob Walker View Post
                              Could this be a hospital? Just a guess due to the variations in uniforms, the headgear ornamentation, Corps badge, the child and the women in the windows of the building and a lone drummer. Also, can anyonoe make out the furniture in the tent or fly behind the wall tent directly behind the men? Looks like a table and benches.
                              Good idea! Perhaps the appearance of the women in the door (nurses?) and the civilian peering through the window (a doctor?) indicates this.

Ryan Burns
                              The Skulkers Mess

GGG Grandson of 1st Sgt. Albert Burns
                              3rd Mississippi Infantry Regiment

Comment

Working...
                              X