Best use of cap brass yet!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Best use of cap brass yet!

Never seen anything like that before, until I stumbled across this member of the 9th Veteran Reserve Corps band:

In the original photograph (LC-B817-7854), there are several other men wearing cap brass in the same way, so I assume it must have been common practice for this particular band rather than one man's eccentricity.
    Brendan Hamilton
    Jerusalem Plank Road

Comment

Before "I'm With the Band" tee-shirts were popular, there were these guys.....
      Rich Croxton

"I had fun. How about you?" -- In memory of Charles Heath, 1960-2009

Comment

Not to hijack the thread but that's a nice pipe just behind this guy.
        [FONT=Times New Roman][COLOR=DarkSlateGray][SIZE=3]Michael Phillips, GGG Grandson of
        Pvt Edmond Phillips, 44th NCT, Co E, "The Turtle Paws"[/SIZE]
        [SIZE=2]Mustered in March 1862
        Paroled at Appomattox C.H. Virginia, April 15, 1865[/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][COLOR=Navy][B]"Good, now we'll have news from Hell before breakfast."[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE]
        Was Gen Sherman's response upon hearing the capture and execution of 3 reporters who had followed from Atlanta, by the rebels.
        The execution part turned out to be false.[COLOR=DarkRed] [B]Dagg Nabbit![/B][/COLOR][/FONT]

Comment

Rich,
          That's funny. Thanks for a laugh today. I keep thinking of John Belushi...
          Just a private soldier trying to make a difference

Patrick Peterson
          Old wore out Bugler

Comment

Just waiting for the hat with a Nike swoosh to show up now.
            Joe Smotherman

Comment

"Not to hijack the thread but that's a nice pipe just behind this guy."

Now, lads, who hasn't noticed that the horn section of any band is conspicuous for its eccentric smoking paraphernalia?

Cheers,
              Paul Hadley
              Up In Smoke Squad
              Paul Hadley

Comment

"Not to hijack the thread but that's a nice pipe just behind this guy."

Now, lads, who hasn't noticed that the horn section of any band is conspicuous for its eccentric smoking paraphernalia?
                Couldn't agree more. There are a few pipes just like it in the same photograph. Here's a good close-up on one and its owner, who seems to be in a rather contemplative mood (maybe it's not just tobacco?):

That thing is so long, I wonder if you'd need a second person to light it for you.
                Brendan Hamilton
                Jerusalem Plank Road

Comment

Originally posted by PogueMahone View Post
                  If a guy showed up at an event with that, he wouldn't get past the registration table. He'd be labeled a farb.
                  Just goes to show, nobody should be labeled a "farb"... they may just be authentic after all.

Ron Hopkins
                  Co. D, 13th US Infantry
                  Dakota Terr.

Comment

Just to add to the hat brass dicussion. In reading the regimental history of the 86th Ohio Volunteer Infantry (3d Brigade, 2d Division, 9th Army Corps, Army of Ohio), they state "The happy thought of resorting to the ruse of changing the brass numbers worn on our caps to designate the number of the regiment to which the bearer belonged, so as to make more regiment numbers, and thus lead the enemies spies to conclude that there were as many regiments as there were different numbers on the caps, was carried into execution in this camp."
                    Somewhere between August and September of '63.

Thought this was in interesting idea and wondered how common it was.
                    Last edited by lukegilly13; 06-29-2009, 12:15 PM.
                    Luke Gilly
                    Breckinridge Greys
                    Lodge 661 F&AM

"May the grass grow long on the road to hell." --an Irish toast

Comment

Originally posted by BigRonFH View Post
                      Just goes to show, nobody should be labeled a "farb"... they may just be authentic after all.

Ron Hopkins
                      Co. D, 13th US Infantry
                      Dakota Terr.

No, Ron, I disagree. Everyone is a farb. Some of us make an effort not to be to a degree that it shows. Others do not. Those that do not deserve the billing.
                      Joe Smotherman

Comment

It would be QUITE disheartening to see 275th on the enemies' cap brass through my looking glass.. but if I were a postive chap I might report back to camp that we've either wiped out their numbers, forced them to consolidate, and/or buried their leadership 274 times and we'd charge them as if their boys were green.
                        Jon Harris

Mang Rifles & Friends
                        Ora pro nobis!

~ McIlvaine’s 64th Ohio Infantry at Missionary Ridge 11/2019
                        ~ Head’s 49th Tennessee Infantry at Fort Donelson - Defending The Heartland 2/2020
                        ~ Wever’s 10th Iowa Infantry at Bentonville 3/2020
                        ~ Opdycke's 125th Ohio Infantry at Franklin, 1863 - For God and the Right 5/2020
                        ~ Pardee’s 42nd Ohio Infantry during the Vicksburg Campaign 5/2020
                        ~ Day's Silent Machines, 12th U.S. Regulars during the Gettysburg Campaign 6/2020

sigpic

Comment

There are quite a few existing photos of New Hampshire Volunteers "NHV"
                          sporting that type of ornamentation and displaying the cap in a similar
                          manner for the camera (same photographer?). Very interesting.

There is another unique type of hat brass (gilt wire?) that is found on some existing caps of PVI troops.

I believe Langellier's U.S. Army headgear, 1812-1872 discusses some of these variances.

Of course Val Giles story regarding his trip to the photographer is an interesting anecdote involving hat ornamentation
                          and how some folks made a buck on the newly enlisted volunteers, but that's reb stuff, for another discussion. ...

Chuck Sprowls
                          Last edited by Sprowls; 06-29-2009, 01:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by GreencoatCross View Post
                            From eBay...his impressive forage cap.
                            Hat brass wasn't intended for campaign use, but there's evidence, such as this photo, that some units and individuals transferred the brass to their kepis, forage caps, slouch hats or even their jackets...

Dan Wykes

"For neary every documented and authenticated practice there is an equal and sometimes opposite documented and authenticated practice."
                            Danny Wykes

Comment

Working...
                            X