15th Wisconsin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 15th Wisconsin

Here are some photos I found of the 15th Wisconsin.

Sivert Pedersen

Ole Lenvig

Knud Gullickson

John Johnson
    Robert Johnson

"Them fellers out thar you ar goin up against, ain't none of the blue-bellied, white-livered Yanks and sassidge-eatin'forrin' hirelin's you have in Virginny that run atthe snap of a cap - they're Western fellers, an' they'll mighty quick give you a bellyful o' fightin."

In memory of: William Garry Co.H 5th USCC KIA 10/2/64 Saltville VA.

Re: 15th Wisconsin

The dumbest regiment in the army .............

;^)
    Ryan B.Weddle

7th New York State Militia

"Beware of all enterprises that require new clothes" - Henry David Thoreau

"The willingness with which our young people are likely to serve in any war, no matter how justified, shall be directly proportional as to how they perceive the Veterans of earlier wars were treated and appreciated by their country."
    – George Washington , 1789

Comment

Robert,

Thanks for posting the images. My g-g-g grandfather was Halvor Brenden of Company E, 15th Wisconsin, so I'm always interested in anything related to the 15th. Nice to see a bunch of Norwegians getting some attention, and hopefully there won't be too many Norwegian jokes.
      [FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium]Peter N. Olsen[/FONT]

Comment

Hi,

Alas, I heard millions of "Ole and Lena" jokes when I was stationed at Grand Forks AFB ND. I'll spare you but they ranged in quality from "pretty good" to "oh, god."

Regards,

Mark Jaeger
        "Oofdah! More lutefisk for sure, ma!"
        Regards,

Mark Jaeger

Comment

Bob Johnson (hireddutchcutthroat) outta know - he had ancestors in two famous regiments of heavy Squarehead....er Scandanavian and German representation, the 2nd MN and 9th OVI. At Chickamauga last year we saw that you can toss a rock between the two monuments on Snodgrass Hill. Was a tingly moment to imagine brothers and cousins from two states side by side as the rebs came up the hill.

If you are from the 15th Wisconsin are you a cheesehead or squarehead...or square-cheesehead?

What fantastic photos - can anyone remember any other such series where an idea caught on and everyone had their photo taken using an identical theme, as in the caps?
          Soli Deo Gloria
          Doug Cooper

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Please support the CWT at www.civilwar.org

Comment

Gents,

For those who are not aware, Scott Meeker of the 33d Wisconsin has a very informative website dedicated to the 15th Wisconsin.

Enjoy and On Wisconsin!
            Tom Klas
            Hard Head Mess
            Citizens Guard

Comment

Originally posted by MuddyTrowsers
              Robert,

Thanks for posting the images. My g-g-g grandfather was Halvor Brenden of Company E, 15th Wisconsin, so I'm always interested in anything related to the 15th. Nice to see a bunch of Norwegians getting some attention, and hopefully there won't be too many Norwegian jokes.
              Peter

Samuel Johnson is a shirttail relative of mine. He was one of the few Swedes (Småland) in the 15th. I imagine he heard every Swedish joke that the Noskys could drum up.

I love how these guys turned up the collars on there sackcoats and painted their company letter and 15 on their caps.

Hej Ole, Jag ska skriva min nummer på min mössa. Det se jätte bra ut!
              Robert Johnson

"Them fellers out thar you ar goin up against, ain't none of the blue-bellied, white-livered Yanks and sassidge-eatin'forrin' hirelin's you have in Virginny that run atthe snap of a cap - they're Western fellers, an' they'll mighty quick give you a bellyful o' fightin."

Comment

Wow - that website is fantastic and a model of what one can be. Tak!
                Originally posted by TKlas
                Gents,

For those who are not aware, Scott Meeker of the 33d Wisconsin has a very informative website dedicated to the 15th Wisconsin.

Enjoy and On Wisconsin!
                Soli Deo Gloria
                Doug Cooper

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Please support the CWT at www.civilwar.org

Comment

Originally posted by TKlas
                  Gents,

Enjoy and On Wisconsin!
                  I found the photos I posted here on that site. It is nice to see a site about probably the most underrated Northern regiment of the war.
                  Robert Johnson

Comment

Here are two pictures from the 12th Wisconsin where the soldiers put the number of their regiment on the collars of their Wisconsin state issue jackets.

And here is another picture from the same regiment, they have large company letters on their kipi's.

I also wonder if the men from the 15th pictured above have large brass letters on their bills, and they just look painted because the photographer touched them up to give them color.
                    I also think that the soldiers wearing the sack coats above are wearing Wisconsin state issue jackets, and they have stiff collars on them like frock coats.

While I'm posting pics I'll put this one on here to that I think is neat.

Last edited by ; 02-05-2004, 05:42 PM. Reason: pictures didnt work

Comment

Have a look, at the 15th Wisconsin reenacted: http://www.sitecenter.dk/unioncpl :)

Sorry site is only in Danish!!
                      [FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium]Pvt. Christian Steincke
                      16th Tenn Vol[/FONT]
                      [FONT=Century Gothic]"War does not determine who is right - only who is left."[/FONT]

Comment

Originally posted by MuddyTrowsers
                        Robert,

This is a good opportunity to tell you, that we are some danes too from Company B, 15th Wisc. Vol. Infantry "For Gud og Vort Land" :)

Comment

Originally posted by reb1912
                          Have a look, at the 15th Wisconsin reenacted: http://www.sitecenter.dk/unioncpl :)

Sorry site is only in Danish!!
                          Vad bra jag förstår Danska!
                          Robert Johnson

Comment

Working...
                          X