What jacket are they wearing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What jacket are they wearing?

Could one of you post a high resolution close up of the field music? It appears the drummer in the front rank has slipped his arm through his horse collar sling to improvise a much more comfortable over the shoulder sling.

Thanks.

Jack Doyle

Comment

Hallo!

I will try later.

I keep keep getting a failure to open message:

"Temporary file open error. Display failed."

Curt
      Curt Schmidt
      In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
      -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
      -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
      -Vastly Ignorant
      -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Originally posted by Curt-Heinrich Schmidt View Post
        Hallo!

Light reflection and refraction, coupled with movement plays h*ll with trying to see detail.

Easier one.. I "see" no M1841's. They all appear to rifle-musket or musket length, plus the "patchbox" on an M1841 is longer than that on an M1855.

Harder one...

I think I "see" several (without counting) M1822 alteration or M1842's based upon the flat buttplate, comb style, and the double loop nosecap/front band (one seen in the first muzzle visible on the viewer's left, and on the 7th man).

At first I thought that the mix of rifle-muskets and muskets might be explained by the 50th PVI perhaps still being one of those musket armed with the two flank (skirmish) companies being RM armed- but the apparent mixing is off.

Others' mileage will vary...

Curt

I'd say m1842 - the distinctive s-curve top/front band and fluted rammer are visible on one in the rear rank (upper left). It's possible to that they may have a mix of m1822s and m1842s - at least those would have used the same ammo. Great pic.
        Garrett W. Silliman

[I]Don't Float the Mainstream[/I]
        [SIZE="1"]-Sweetwater Brewing Company, Atlanta, GA[/SIZE]

Comment

Originally posted by fiferjackdoyle View Post
          Could one of you post a high resolution close up of the field music? It appears the drummer in the front rank has slipped his arm through his horse collar sling to improvise a much more comfortable over the shoulder sling.

Thanks.

Jack Doyle
          I don't think so, unless only the drummers on one side (the one we cannot see well) are doing it. The drums back then weighed less than repros today due to thinner, shorter shells and thinner, shorter hoops, so neck slings worked just fine for most drummers. After all, the master drummer George Bruce said that "the belt should pass round the neck, and come down over the left breast, with the fastening attached to the cord at the upper hoop, causing the drum to hang obliquely; in which position the performer will find the head just right for the sticks to come in contact with, while the drum, if carefully balanced, can be easily managed while marching, without striking the hoops."
          Attached Files
          Will Chappell

Comment

Gents,
            Did you notice that only one of the six musicians appears to be a young man. The other five could be five or six years older.
            [FONT="Comic Sans MS"][I]Frank E. Campbell[/I][/FONT]

Comment

Yes I noticed the age of the musicians.... The 10 year old drummer boy was a very rare thing. Most musicians were 16 plus years with many 20 years or older.

There were also plenty of negro musicians in both Yankee and Confederate regiments.
              Paul Herring

Liberty Hall Fifes and Drums
              Stonewall Brigade

Comment

Really interesting image. Actually, they all appear to have their cap boxes "front and center" and some of the headgear appear to have the modern baseball-cap curve to them, at least to my eye. Does anyone see any chevrons that would otherwise denote the NCOs? They have packs and perhaps full accouterments, though it's hard to tell for sure. Could this possibly be an inspection just prior to a review or parade? Also, how is the man in the foreground, front rank and closest to the drummer, holding his musket? Michael is right, he definitely appears to be wearing his cartridge box on his belt.
                Last edited by Gallinipper; 04-30-2009, 10:40 PM.
                Rich Croxton

"I had fun. How about you?" -- In memory of Charles Heath, 1960-2009

Comment

Working...
                X