Aerial photos of Sherman's March

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Aerial photos of Sherman's March

Looking further at the construction history of Interstate 16, it appears the first segment was not even begun until March, 1963. So, if the aerial photos in question date from the 1950s, this so-called "path" of Sherman's army could not have been new construction of this particular interstate.

However..... as with many major thoroughfares, I-16 was built astride- and in some cases it appears right over- existing state and secondary roads (some of which could not have been very old given the somewhat slower rate of economic development in that region, as has already been pointed out). So, it MAY still be possibile that what appears in those 1950s photos is indeed a road-building project of some form, after all.
    Last edited by Gallinipper; 08-09-2009, 03:28 PM.
    Rich Croxton

"I had fun. How about you?" -- In memory of Charles Heath, 1960-2009

Comment

Just a quick post prior to further research.

Kennesaw State University had a faculty member within the History Department that actually took groups on a couple day tour that hit points of interest along Sherman's March. I was never able to take part, but would love to now.

I will look further into the matter, it may be an interesting prelude to Bummers. Would there be any interest within the community?
      David Norton

Comment

IF you can find area maps of Ball's Ferry and the Ogeechee bridge south of Eatonton thats about the best of whats left that can be viewed from G. Earth.

Herb is correct. the March route was not go down where the 75 meets Macon and make a left. The kinda wired their way south by S.East. Pick up Southern Storm by Noah Trudeau. Great book and lots of maps and day to day stuff from CS and Us and civilians.
        Kiev Thomason
        a.k.a. King Corn:baring_te
        WIG
        Armory Guards
        Forest Park Lodge #399
        Forest Park GA.

Comment

Working...
        X