X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unknown North/South Soldier Tintype

Hi Guys,
    A very nice site you have here!

I am primarily a WW2 collector myself, but I came across this un-ID'ed tintype
    and at first thought it was just a nice double armed Union guy with a Corps badge. But then several people commented that his coat was not a Union cut, the belt was not a union style, and with the conversion rifle, he may be a Southern boy.

The buttons/star and collar have been embellished in gold by the photographer.

Does anyone have any thoughts either way on this one? Any help is most appreciated.

Thanks!
    Jerry Dutscheck

Re: Unknown North/South Soldier Tintype

Actually, he is wearing the early Wisconsin State issue Fatigue Blouse: Stand-up collar; dark blue flannel wool; five button front with three-piece State of Wisconsin buttons. The odd belt (if you can call it a belt) and pistol are probably photographer's props. Go to the Wisconsin Historical Society website, and you will find this same coat. Look at the images of members of the 15th Wisconsin:

Also, it was not uncommon for some of these early Wisconsin Regiments to add the regimental number and Company letter to their collars. Looks like he may be 11th Wisconsin Infantry. This is a very cool image and quite rare.
    Last edited by ScottCross; 08-18-2009, 02:08 PM. Reason: after thought
    Scott Cross
    "Old and in the Way"

Comment

Scott,
      Not to completely burst the bubble of this being a rebil, could it not be the image of a soldier from the SOUTHERN part of Wisconsin, say Milton?
      I agree, he has Wisconsin (in the coat) proclaimed aloud. And to be politically incorrect, looking at him he also resembles a Scandinavian "square-head" in my opinion only perhaps, Private Ole Olsen, Anderson or the like.
      "H" on one collar, what is on the other?
      S.Sullivan

Comment

haha!
        Thanks guys, well that does make more sense turning up on my doorstep here "behind the cheddar curtain".

Here is a close up. Sadly probably more photographers art than image:

Comment

Originally posted by rogue View Post
          Scott,
          Not to completely burst the bubble of this being a rebil, could it not be the image of a soldier from the SOUTHERN part of Wisconsin, say Milton?
          I agree, he has Wisconsin (in the coat) proclaimed aloud. And to be politically incorrect, looking at him he also resembles a Scandinavian "square-head" in my opinion only perhaps, Private Ole Olsen, Anderson or the like.
          "H" on one collar, what is on the other?
          S.Sullivan
          Actually, the number could be a 15, which would explain the "Square-head" you are seeing, I think the 15th was so heavily Norwegian, all commands were given in that language.
          Scott Cross
          "Old and in the Way"

Comment

Greetings Jerry,
            I usually see your postings on WAF & been in your shop from time to time...didn't expect to ever see you over here.

I think you have the correct answer from pards Scott and Steve. I can't add anything else other than to note that this is still a desirable image even if from no further south than Beloit.

Paul McKee
            Paul McKee

Comment

From the enlargement I'm fairly certain the number is indeed "15", which would be Colonel Hans Heg's regiment (KIA at Chicamauga). Company H, like all the other companies, was heavily Norwegian in ethnic makeup. Sorry Steve, only two Ole Olsons in that company, and two Ole Hansons!:wink_smil
              Scott Cross
              "Old and in the Way"

Comment

Some time ago I bought a model 1842 sight unseen that had hung on the wall of a bar in a small southern Wisconsin town. Hard to imagine a small southern Wisconsin town without a bar. In any event when it arrived, heavy laden with cigarette smoke patina, the attached will show what was on the butt, after much careful cleaning.
                I am sure, positive, it is the one shown in the original image! (only ten regiments off!)
                S.Sullivan
                half serious, not!
                Attached Files

Comment

Thanks everyone for their thoughts. I am going with a WI regt.
                  Nice rifle marking too!

Comment

Mr. Jerry,

Could you please repost this image. I have been unable to get it to load. Thank you.

Brent Brumagin
                    Brent Brumagin

Comment

Sorry,
                      I am unable to post attachments so I had to embed it.

Comment

That is a great photo! Very unique... I've never seen one like this before!
                        Andrew Gale

21st Arkansas Vol. Inf. Co. H
                        Company H, McRae's Arkansas Infantry
                        Affiliated Conscripts Mess

Cpl. George Washington Pennington, 171st Penn. Co. K
                        Mustered into service: Aug. 27, 1862
                        Captured: Spottsylvania Court House, Virginia, May 12, 1864
                        Died: Andersonville Prison, Georgia, Sept. 13, 1864
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ScottCross View Post
                          Actually, he is wearing the early Wisconsin State issue Fatigue Blouse: Stand-up collar; dark blue flannel wool; five button front with three-piece State of Wisconsin buttons. The odd belt (if you can call it a belt) and pistol are probably photographer's props. Go to the Wisconsin Historical Society website, and you will find this same coat. Look at the images of members of the 15th Wisconsin:

Also, it was not uncommon for some of these early Wisconsin Regiments to add the regimental number and Company letter to their collars. Looks like he may be 11th Wisconsin Infantry. This is a very cool image and quite rare.
                          Here's two more images showing the Wisconsin fatigue blouse, that just came up on eBay. These fellows are from the 12th Wisconsin:

Last edited by ScottCross; 10-16-2009, 09:49 AM. Reason: Addition
                          Scott Cross
                          "Old and in the Way"

Comment

Now would these coats have had Wisconsin state buttons on them? The other day I was out at Grenada Lake and saw a dug CW-era Wisconsin button that was recovered from the Water Valley MS area. I suspect that it came from one of the advanced camps of Grant's failed attempt to advance down the Central MS Railroad in Dec. of '62. It interested me because I had never seen a state button issued from the Midwest before.

Will MacDonald
                            TBM/WIG

Comment

Working...
                            X