Lt. Joseph Specht, 15th Tennessee Infantry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lt. Joseph Specht, 15th Tennessee Infantry

I found this image yesterday while doing some research, and thought I would share. It is in The Book of three States: Notable Men of Mississippi, Arkansas, and Tennessee it was published in 1914 and is available on google books.

Lt. Joseph Specht was born in Germany and immigrated to the United States before the war. He served in the 15th Tennessee Infantry.

J. Thomas Giambrone, Esq.

Have History Books, Will Travel.

Re: Lt. Joseph Specht, 15th Tennessee Infantry

15th TN (CS) I guess?

It's always interesting to hear of Confederate Germans.

Thanks for sharing the pictures of Mr. Woodpecker (yes, that would be his name translated into English ;) )!
    Bene von Bremen

German Mess

"I had not previously known one could get on, even in this unsatisfactory fashion, with so little brain."
    Ambrose Bierce "What I Saw of Shiloh"

Comment

Is this image reversed and is he carrying his sabre on the right side? Just judging from the button pattern on his frock, or were Tennessee Pattern frocksleft hand buttoned? Love the Leech and Rigdon sabre. Great Tennessee image. THANKS!

Scott Bumpus

Comment

"Tennessee pattern frocks"?
        Joe Smotherman

Comment

In the world of historical painting, Don Troiani stands alone, universally acclaimed for the accuracy, drama, and sensitivity of his depictions of America's past. His Civil War paintings and limited edition prints hang in the finest collections in the country and are noted by collectors from around the world. Now, in "Don Troiani's Regiments and Uniforms of the Civil War", the artist turns his brush to one of the most colourful and captivating aspects of Civil War history: the individual units that earned their reputations on the battlefield and the distinctive uniforms they wore. In addition to 130 paintings of battle scenes and individual figures, the book also includes more than 250 full-colour photographs of the uniforms the soldiers wore and the accoutrements they carried. Supporting the illustrations is text by two of the leading military artefact experts. Taken together, it makes for one of the most comprehensive books on Civil War uniforms ever undertaken.

A term I've heard coined in places such as this excerpt from Troiani's Regiments and Uniforms of the Civil War.

Scott Bumpus

Comment

Scott, I think the image is reversed and I dont think thats a TN state frock, the rank insignia would have been on the collar. Of interest, is that he was 43 when he enlisted in June 7th, 1861, and like so many older men, he resigned after a short time, for him it was October 19th, 1861.
            Lee White
            Researcher and Historian
            "Delenda Est Carthago"
            "My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings, Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!"

http://bullyforbragg.blogspot.com/

Comment

Interesting data on his time of enlistment. I judged the type of coat by the look of the cuffs and the button placement. Thanks for the info.

Scott Bumpus

Comment

Men's clothing buttons left over right, and women's button right over left. Image is reversed.
                Breandan Mackie

Comment

I'm aware of that, but thought it interesting that he's wearing his sabre on the right. I've not seen this done often. This is why at first glance I didnt realize it was reversed. Upon seeing the button pattern, I made the observation.

Happy New Year All!

Scott Bumpus

Comment

All

Refering to p36 of Tom Arliskas book Cadet Gray and Butternut Brown, it seems pretty definate to me that it's a Tn State Issue Frock, despite the fact that the rank insignia are on the shoulders.

Am I wrong?

Great image, thanks for posting it.
                    Ian Smith
                    55th Virginia

"We think from the movments that there is something out [there] but we can tell what!" Thomas Hooper, Diary for
                    27th December 1862@ Murfreesboro - Enlisted 1861, wounded at Perryville, Murfreesboro and Missionary Ridge, killed at Franklin.

Comment

Tennessee Frocks

2d Lt. Henry Howe Cook of the 44th Tennessee. He would later become one of the Immortal 600 prisoners.

Private Nicholson (Right) and Unidentified Friend

Corporal William A. Graham and Joseph Bynum

I copied these last three photos from this page which has some interesting info about the uniforms and equipment of the 1st Tennessee.
                      Silas Tackitt,
                      one of the moderators.

Click here for a link to forum rules - or don't at your own peril.

Comment

Working...
                      X