Worth taking a look!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Worth taking a look!

They look to much like federals resting barefoot.

Comment

Re: New Photo of CS Infantry on Campaign????

Originally posted by huntdaw View Post
      I think you might be onto something there Pete. It doesn't really look like a canteen side in the close-up.
      I thought so too, until I looked through my photos again. I forgot about the one I took at the Atlanta History Center of one of their canteen displays. You can claerly see the nearly identical drum type canteen with the concentric ring design. three over two down in the first photo. I just wish I knew who it was attributed to. :(

Here they are side by side.
      [SIZE=0]PetePaolillo
      ...ILUS;)[/SIZE]

Comment

Pete,
        Attached is a canteen I once owned but recently set adrift in an eBay skiff. It appears similar to the Atlanta one you pointed out. I was told, after the sale, that it may date to the Mexican War.
        S.Sullivan
        Attached Files

Comment

What first caught my eye was the hardtack. It is identical to CS issue. There is a piece on dispay at Montgomery, Ala museum and other museums. However, I feel that these are Federal men. Pehaps doing a little braging on captured CS items.

Joe Walker

Comment

CHeck this out. The best group of confederates on a campain march photo iv seen

This image is a one of the kind. It really gives you a good look at confederates in the field on the march. Its listed for 14,000 dollars on a website. old south antiques

Can someone tell me why there kepi's visors are lisfted up? just a fashion statement?
            Attached Files
            C. Potts
            4th Alabama

Comment

Re: CHeck this out. The best group of confederates on a campain march photo iv seen

http://www.authentic-campaigner.com/...taking-a-look!

THis image was discussed a couple of days ago, but it's still a cool picture.
              Last edited by Brandon; 08-11-2010, 01:47 PM.
              -Brandon Hand
              48th NY Co. F
              Unit Clerk/Newsletter Editor

Comment

Re: CHeck this out. The best group of confederates on a campain march photo iv seen

Its also not Confederates, although a great image, its Union soldiers.

Lee
                Lee White
                Researcher and Historian
                "Delenda Est Carthago"
                "My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings, Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!"

http://bullyforbragg.blogspot.com/

Comment

As to the forage cap bills being lifted up, its not that unusual, look at a lot of union soldier images and you will see the same thing, its just like modern caps having a baseball crease, it was the fashion.

Lee
                  Lee White
                  Researcher and Historian
                  "Delenda Est Carthago"
                  "My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings, Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!"

http://bullyforbragg.blogspot.com/

Comment

Working...
                  X