Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Close-Up Images - The Grand Review

Good Afternoon:

In the continuing series of close-up images, this entry is inspired by a Facebook post I saw this past week from Garry Adelman. He posted versions of two images: The Viewing Stand and a Line of Soldiers. Seeing these two images made me wonder what other ones might be in the Library of Congress Archives, so off I went on my search. Here is some of what I found:

Federal Infantry in Motion - As I suspected in my search, since the armies were marching, there are no really good images of the columns themselves, at least based on what I saw. Here is one image I found that shows a line of infantry. Here is the image and the close-up:

Click image for larger version

Name:	GrandReview1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	1.28 MB
ID:	231305Click image for larger version

Name:	GrandReview2.jpg
Size:	765.6 KB
ID:	231306

The Viewing Stand: Here is an image of the Viewing Stand, I'm sure you have looked at before. I have zoomed in on the politicians and generals and then on the line of guards in front of them. Didn't look for the name of this unit. I'm sure one of you might know:

Name:	GrandReview3.jpg
Size:	828.5 KB
ID:	231307Click image for larger version

Name:	GrandReview5.jpg
Size:	450.1 KB
ID:	231308Click image for larger version

Name:	GrandReview6.jpg
Size:	197.5 KB
ID:	231309

The Grandstand: This is just such a clear image that it was hard to pass up for this post. You could get lost in there looking at the hats, clothing and facial expressions.

Name:	GrandReview7.jpg
Size:	663.2 KB
ID:	231310

If you know more specifics on some of these, please feel free to add them! Also, I know there are more flooating around of the web. Add those as well!
    ERIC TIPTON
    Former AC Owner

Re: Close-Up Images - The Grand Review

Is that the Veteran Volunteer Guard under the Viewing Stand? I can see Grant, Stanton, and Andrew Johnson in the viewing stand. But is that Sherman on the far right? These are awesome photographs! It would be awesome to reenact the Grand Review.
    Stephen Lunsford

Possum Skinners Mess/Tick Creek Troublemakers

150th Pickett's Mill May 2014-5th Kentucky
    150th Franklin (Carnton Plantation) November 2014-20th Tennessee
    150th Bentonville, March 2015-10th Iowa
    Pea Ridge Adjunct, September 2015-24th Missouri
    Blakeley Living History, April 2016-1st/3rd Missouri CS
    Picket Post, May 2016, Company C, 9th Tennessee "Creek Bank Mess"
    Lookout Mountain Living History, June 2017, 31st Iowa "Root Hog or Die"
    154th Chickamauga Living History, September 2017, Co. C, 23rd Tennessee
    Battle of Wauhatchie (Aka "Wet-hatchie"), Tennessee, October 27-28, 2017, 78th New York "12th Corps!!!"

Comment

Note the cant of the rifles at Right Shoulder Shift. A bit more angled than some other photos and the manuals demonstrate. Let the debate ensue!
      Ivan Ingraham
      AC Moderator

Comment

The debate about Right Shoulder Shift (RSS) is easy. The weapon isn't straight up and down with the right arm jammed against the side of the body like reenactors tend to perform it. There's a huge lean which is a bit much, but I'd prefer too much lean over none at all. If the weapon doesn't bonk the head of someone in the rear or place a muzzle in someone's face, it's okay.

There are a few other photos from this location which show one line of troops at RSS, the next line at Left Shoulder Shift, and the one behind that at RSS. LSS is mentioned specifically in Ellsworth's manual and is certainly suggested in Remarks on the School of the Battalion from Hardee :

In marching by the front, arms may be shifted to the right shoulder; but not in the march in line of battle until the battalions shall be well instructed.

After arms have been carried for some time on the right shoulder, they may be shifted, in like manner, to the left shoulder.
        Source : http://draytons.tripod.com/hardeesob.html#remarks

Finding this in Ellsworth isn't dispositive. Just shows it's possible. The above text also appears in the US 1861 Tactics, but didn't make it into Casey.
        Silas Tackitt,
        one of the moderators.

Click here for a link to forum rules - or don't at your own peril.

Comment

The guards in front of the reviewing stand are with the Veteran Reserve Corps (Originally Invalid Corps) with their distinctive sky blue jackets.

-Bill Burks
          Bill Burks

Comment

Curious, the amount of soft hats in the marching unit. I wonder if this is an image struck of Meade's army or Sherman's army?

Great to look at.

Steve Acker

Comment

Working...
            X