Prisoners at point lookout taking the oath

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Prisoners at point lookout taking the oath

Could the measuring be part of the release? The only physical description of my Pinkney Wade is from his Oath of Allegiance June 21, 1865 from Point Lookout.
    Complexion...Florid
    Hair...Auburn
    Eyes...Lt. Hazel
    Height..5 ft 11 in.

Was captured at Petersburg April 2, 1865.
    Jennifer T Wisener
    Tarheel Civilians

Comment

It has to be. My own Gr-Gr-Grandfather, Richard C. Gibbs was described on his Oath of Allegience card of which I obtained a copy from NARA. He was measured and his eyes, hair and complexion was described. I guess in the era before mass photographs, this was all they had to go on.

Todd Watts

Comment

Other point lookout threads:

Search words: "Point Lookout"
        Mitchell L Critel
        Wide Awake Groupie
        Texas Ground Hornets

Comment

What's more interesting to me is the placement of the large flag(s) as a kind of "canopy" over the individuals in the room. The symbolism (most certainly deliberate) is inescapable. Viz:

1. The Stars and Stripes, once again, encompass within its folds a nation, united and indivisible.

2. We won, you lost. Deal with it.

In short, a very to-the-point demonstration of the power conferred by victory.

Yours, &c.,

Mark Jaeger
          Regards,

Mark Jaeger

Comment

I had an ancestor that was released June 21. Is it possible that he could be in this photo, or is it a little late?
            Thanks,
            Andrew Turner
            Co.D 27th NCT
            Liberty Rifles

"Well, by God, I’ll take my men in and if they outflank me I’ll face my men about and cut my way out. Forward, men!” Gen. John R. Cooke at Bristoe Station,VA

Comment

Sir and Ma'am, going back through the threads this image caught my attention, along with the other threads on this image. I've run across another description of this image dated 1912 in "Photographic History of the Civil War" by Francis T. Miller.
              If I may pass along this description.

This is the finale, the last tableau of the Great Drama of the Civil War--a drama that for four years had held the stage of half a continent with all civilization for an audience. In late April of '65 a photographer visited Point Lookout Prison, Maryland, and was present when the last Confederate prisoners took the oath of allegiance to the flag under whose shadow they stand as their hands touch simultaneously the Bibles--One held by each group of four. At the desk, administering the oath, sits the Commander of the Department of St. Mary's, General James Barnes, who since recovering from his wounds at Gettysburg had been in charge of more captured Confederates than there were in Lee's last army. It is a moving sight; it stirs the emotions, to look at the faces of these men, now returning from their exile to their war-ridden country and desolated homes. Theirs is the hardest task in all the world--to conquer defeat and begin anew, under changed surroundings and conditions, the struggle for existence. Bravely the Southerners faced it, as bravely as they had faced the line of blue-clad men who are their enemies no longer. Long before fifty years had passed, when again the war clouds had risen and the Country called for men, during the Spanish War, in the great camps at Chickamauga--"the sons of the sires, at the same camp-fires, cheered one flag where their fathers fought."

The image and description are in volume 3, page 179 at this sight.
              (5 volumes in high resolution) http://djvued.libs.uga.edu/E468x7xM647/phcwmenu.html
              Also 10 volumes in less resolution at http://www.quinnipiac.edu/other/abl/...ilwar/toc.html

My two cents, Mel.
              Mel Hadden, Husband to Julia Marie, Maternal Great Granddaughter of
              Eben Lowder, Corporal, Co. H 14th Regiment N.C. Troops (4th Regiment N.C. Volunteers, Co. H, The Stanly Marksmen) Mustered in May 5, 1861, captured April 9, 1865.
              Paternal Great Granddaughter of James T. Martin, Private, Co. I, 6th North Carolina Infantry Regiment Senior Reserves, (76th Regiment N.C. Troops)

"Aeterna Numiniet Patriae Asto"

CWPT
              www.civilwar.org.

"We got rules here!"

The War of the Rebellion: A Compilation of the Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies

Battles and Leaders of the Civil War: Being for the most part contributations by Union and Confederate officers

Comment

I think that not only by the description's wording but also by the date that there is some after-the-fact writer's artistic license with the description. My reasoning is that I have a copy of my ancestor's oath of allegience taken at Point Lookout in June, 1865. So this particular group, if photographed in April is not the final group to take the oath there. I have seen many pictures in various sources from back then with different captions attributed to them so it seems there was very little perceived need to be journalistically accurate with captions and photographs back then.

Comment

Yes sir, I agree with your opinion, the description indeed carries lots of artistic license. The other volumes also carry the same type license in describing the photographs. As far as being free from factual error, they are kinda like horseshoes and hand grenades.

Mel
                  Mel Hadden, Husband to Julia Marie, Maternal Great Granddaughter of
                  Eben Lowder, Corporal, Co. H 14th Regiment N.C. Troops (4th Regiment N.C. Volunteers, Co. H, The Stanly Marksmen) Mustered in May 5, 1861, captured April 9, 1865.
                  Paternal Great Granddaughter of James T. Martin, Private, Co. I, 6th North Carolina Infantry Regiment Senior Reserves, (76th Regiment N.C. Troops)

"Aeterna Numiniet Patriae Asto"

CWPT
                  www.civilwar.org.

"We got rules here!"

The War of the Rebellion: A Compilation of the Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies

Battles and Leaders of the Civil War: Being for the most part contributations by Union and Confederate officers

Comment

Working...
                  X