High-Resolution Selections from Confederate Prisoner Groups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• High-Resolution Selections from Confederate Prisoner Groups

Been on this kick lately of zooming in on high res photos of the few Confederate prisoners photographs that we have.

First, the famous "punch bowl" picture at Belle Plain Landing, VA in 1864.

Another angle of the "punch bowl":

and the last shot of prisoners taken after the Battle of Five Forks (or so it said):

That Confederate on the far right is either extremely short or is a young teen.

Is that Yankee smiling?

Ryan Burns
    The Skulkers Mess

GGG Grandson of 1st Sgt. Albert Burns
    3rd Mississippi Infantry Regiment

Re: High-res selections from Confederate prisoner groups

Looks like a goodly number of uncovered Federal canteens on the prisoners. And they're wearing them over the left shoulder instead of the right. Haversacks too. At first I thought the image might be reversed but you can see a cap pouch on one of the guards and it is on the right side of his buckle where it should be.
    Michael Comer
    one of the moderator guys

Comment

Could you post some closeups of the group of confederates captured at Cold Harbor? I looked all over the internet but couldn't find that picture.
      Andrew Turner
      Co.D 27th NCT
      Liberty Rifles

"Well, by God, I’ll take my men in and if they outflank me I’ll face my men about and cut my way out. Forward, men!” Gen. John R. Cooke at Bristoe Station,VA

Comment

Originally posted by 27thNCdrummer View Post
        Could you post some closeups of the group of confederates captured at Cold Harbor? I looked all over the internet but couldn't find that picture.
        I've searched long and hard for a high resolution image of that photo and can't find it unfortunately. That would be a truly epic find.
        Ryan Burns
        The Skulkers Mess

Comment

Originally posted by OleMissRebel View Post

Another angle of the "punch bowl":

What is the dude sitting at top right wear/hanging across his shoulder? That sure is an odd looking strap.
          PATRICK CRADDOCK
          Prometheus No. 851
          Franklin, Tennessee
          Widows' Sons Mess
          www.craftsmansapron.com

Aut Bibat Aut Abeat

Can't fix stupid... Johnny Lloyd

Comment

This is a Timothy O'Sullivan image taken in June 1863. In Gardner's book, the caption reads:

These were a batch of rebel cavalrymen, captured in the battle of Aldie, by the troops under Gen. Pleasanton.

Ryan Burns
            The Skulkers Mess

Comment

This photo is of the 5th Virginia Cavalry taken in June of 1863 after the battle of Aldie, VA. This was Captain Boston's company that was just about captured en masse.

This photo is extrememly important because it shows just one example where many of the confederate cavalrymen at center appear to have indentical trousers and jackets. They were a uniformed army, afterall...and though not always perfect in distribution, were issued clothing within a depot system.

Comment

I am sure we would all like to thank Ryan for his efforts in posting these photographs.

Two things I have noticed,

Straps lengths are below, on and above the waist belt, it how you want to wear your gear for your own personal comfort.

Also trouser lengths appear to be worn just above the boot/shoe, can't really see if the guys are turning up on a lot of photographs, but certainly most appear to be not. Where they hemmed up or issued short (to save cloth:wink_smil). Guess wearing then high would stop fraying and damage to the bottoms of the legs and ultimately, make the trousers last longer? Was that the style in civilian life?

What wereas the standard size of issued trousers?
                Ian Smith
                55th Virginia

"We think from the movments that there is something out [there] but we can tell what!" Thomas Hooper, Diary for
                27th December 1862@ Murfreesboro - Enlisted 1861, wounded at Perryville, Murfreesboro and Missionary Ridge, killed at Franklin.

Comment

In the photo that Mr. Craddock posted it appears that the guy in the bottom left hand corner is wearing a Federal double bag. Any thoughts?
                  Andrew Turner
                  Co.D 27th NCT
                  Liberty Rifles

"Well, by God, I’ll take my men in and if they outflank me I’ll face my men about and cut my way out. Forward, men!” Gen. John R. Cooke at Bristoe Station,VA

Comment

The hat brass on the Federal troops is really striking to me. I know it goes back to the unit and time you are portraying, but the more pics I look through, the more I am seeing it. I wonder if the guards in these are more of a "rear echelo0n" type. The Five Forks photo looks to have artillery brass. The photo from Aldie the Feds look to have the horns on their caps.

And yes, the one Federal guard looks to be smiling.
                    Jeff "Thad" Gallagher

Pit Rat Mess
                    49th Ohio
                    Huber Heights #777 F&AM

"The moralities of this company are not as good as they used to be, there is much swearing and abuse." Francis Kiene 49th OVI

Comment

IMHO, not a double bag. No blanket strap straps. the small leather strap sewn to the top of the double bag that the blanket straps pass thru. Doesn't look like there was ever any present either.
                      [FONT=Times New Roman][COLOR=DarkSlateGray][SIZE=3]Michael Phillips, GGG Grandson of
                      Pvt Edmond Phillips, 44th NCT, Co E, "The Turtle Paws"[/SIZE]
                      [SIZE=2]Mustered in March 1862
                      Paroled at Appomattox C.H. Virginia, April 15, 1865[/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][COLOR=Navy][B]"Good, now we'll have news from Hell before breakfast."[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE]
                      Was Gen Sherman's response upon hearing the capture and execution of 3 reporters who had followed from Atlanta, by the rebels.
                      The execution part turned out to be false.[COLOR=DarkRed] [B]Dagg Nabbit![/B][/COLOR][/FONT]

Comment

I would venture to say that the Fed arty guys with the hat brass are probably from a heavy artillery unit....and thus probably have not seen much action compared to veteran infantry regiments.

I love these scans. Thanks to all for doing them.

Mike Willey
                        late of the 49th Ohio and Coffee-coolers

Comment

Please pardon my ignorance , what corps are the corps badges on the caps of the union guards of the 'Five Forks' prisoners ? I can't seem to make them out or recognize them.

Bob Hutton
                          Bob Hutton:)

14th NC "Wild Cats"

Comment

It is indeed a superb study of these photos; I couldn't find any men wearing nothing but rags or being w/out shoes... more proof to me that the ragged reb is mostly a myth and that every man had a housewife and the pride to use it.
                            Johan Steele aka Shane Christen C Co, 3rd MN VI
                            SUVCW Camp 48
                            American Legion Post 352
                            [url]http://civilwartalk.com[/url]

Comment

Well Brother Pat, bet there be a possum in that bag! Do you think it might be a jury rigged haversack to keep goods in?
                              Dean Burchfield
                              Dean Burchfield
                              [B][FONT="Century Gothic"]WIG [I]The Old Guard[/I][/FONT][/B]
                              Cleburnes
                              Hard Case Boys
                              Green Bottle Mess

[I][U]PM Joseph Warren #71 F & AM [/U][/I]

Un soldat sera long et dur combat pour un peu de ruban de couleur.
                              Napoléon Bonaparte
                              A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon.

Comment

Working...
                              X