corduory overshirt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• corduory overshirt

I haven't seen anything like this until now...
    Attached Files
    Tyler Gibson
    The Independent Rifles

Re: corduory overshirt

What's the info on this photograph? I've never seen it before. I'm assuming that it's one of the photos of the Petersburg confederate dead.
    Ryan Burns
    The Skulkers Mess

GGG Grandson of 1st Sgt. Albert Burns
    3rd Mississippi Infantry Regiment

Comment

Yea... It is one of the petersburg dead...
      Tyler Gibson
      The Independent Rifles

Comment

Looks like a vest to me.
        Bob Williams
        26th North Carolina Troops
        Blogsite: http://26nc.org/blog/

As [one of our cavalry] passed by, the general halted him and inquired "what part of the army he belonged to." "I don't belong to the army, I belong to the cavalry." "That's a fact," says [the general], "you can pass on." Silas Grisamore, 18th Louisiana

Comment

Originally posted by roundshot View Post
          Looks like a vest to me.
          There arent any buttons or button holes present all the way down to the bottom. They stop about half way like a shirt. Plus there are 2 large pockets on either side much like a shirt.
          Kris Kransel
          [COLOR="Blue"]Old Northwest Voluteers[/COLOR]

Comment

I believe you are right, sir. My bad.
            Bob Williams
            26th North Carolina Troops
            Blogsite: http://26nc.org/blog/

As [one of our cavalry] passed by, the general halted him and inquired "what part of the army he belonged to." "I don't belong to the army, I belong to the cavalry." "That's a fact," says [the general], "you can pass on." Silas Grisamore, 18th Louisiana

Comment

Is that an extended sleeve sewn onto his jacket? I cannot tell since the other sleeve is obstructed. Or is he wearing an overcoat?

Mark Berrier
              North State Rifle
              Mark Berrier

Comment

I think it's too short to be an overcoat, most likly it's a cuff or an extended sleeve.
                Chad Wrinn

Comment

Is it a corduroy shirt or is it a woven dark stripped shirt? The shaded space in between the "whales" on the placket which faces the camera almost directly seems almost too dark. A higher resolution image would probably yield better results.

It could be corduroy it may be stripped material, or I could be blind.:)
                  Ian McWherter

"With documentation you are wearing History, without it, it's just another costume."-David W. Rickman

Comment

I wish that there were some photographs that were that clear of LIVING Confederates in the field.

These Fort Mahone photos sure depress the hell out of me.
                    Ryan Burns
                    The Skulkers Mess

GGG Grandson of 1st Sgt. Albert Burns
                    3rd Mississippi Infantry Regiment

Comment

Great image, It definitly looks like hes wearing a overcoat. If you look at the collar on the left side you can see two collars, the top one has two hooks on it. I think as far as the shirt, it looks like cordoroy. If you look at the bottom of the shirt at the shadows by his waist you can see a raise in the whale of the cordory. what do you think?

Ps. Ian you make some great looking garments!
                      Art Stone
                      13th N.J.V.
                      Co."K"
                      " Rally, Boys Rally"
                      Last order from Cpt. H.C. Irish at Antietam

Comment

The shirt does seem like corduroy, but when I stare at it long enough, maybe its just my eyes bugging out, but the whales seem to flatten out and then I think I'm looking at a stripped shirt. The edges are hard to tell with the pixels, is it a rise, or just the pixels. Can't say, I want to believe corduroy, but that's such a freak material for a shirt.

I'm getting creeped out looking at this poor dead man, I think I'll humor my fiance' for a while.:)

PS Thanks!
                        Ian McWherter

"With documentation you are wearing History, without it, it's just another costume."-David W. Rickman

Comment

Art,

I'm thinking overcoat also. But what really got me was the overall good condition of clothing and his shoes. Trousers are in good condition it looks like there are a couple of stains. Shirt looks to be in good condition also. Jacket and what appears to be an overcoat hard to tell. Shoes look worn but not worn out. You can even see the double row of pegs on the soles with some mud caked on. But also look at what appears to be an almost new brogan at his feet sans lace, exterior counter, and you can even make out the stitching on the counter. Shirt material, I'm still not convinced .

Ken Irvin
                          TSM
                          Ken Irvin

Comment

I'm thinking overcoat as well. Looking closely at the image, you can see his jacket collar and then the overcoat collar with the hooks; I think the rest of the body of the coat is twisted under his body, and the cape is bunched by his head. I have Zeller's The Civil War in Depth, and this image is shown, in its original Stereoview printing, and with the aid of the Stereoviewer provided with the volume, this poor lad really pops out. Albeit not with the detail shown here, but its even more chilling. FWIW, at this unfortunate's feet are the remains of another man, at least that is what it appears to be, partially buried, perhaps by a cave-in of the parapet. Altogether a testament to the horrors of war.
                            Last edited by BobbyHughes; 03-09-2008, 07:58 AM. Reason: additions
                            Robert W. Hughes
                            Co A, 2nd Georgia Sharpshooters/64th Illinois Inf.
                            Thrasher Mess
                            Operation Iraqi Freedom II 2004-2005
                            ENG Brigade, 1st Cavalry Div. "1st Team!"
                            Iraq & Afghanistan Veterans of America

Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, "Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?"
                            And I said "Here I am. Send me!" Isaiah 6:8

Comment

Hi,

I agree that he is wearing a greatcoat of some kind. I also agree that his clothes and equipment are in good condition, this might be in part that he fought in the trenches of Petersburg, which would not be as hard on equipment, compared to hard campaigning in the field.

Andrew Kasmar

4th Missouri Company E
                              Andrew Kasmar

Comment

Working...
                              X