corduory overshirt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: corduory overshirt

Wow I cannot believe how clear this photograph is! Anyone notice there are no suspenders? To hold his pants up it appears that he folded the waist band over. I wonder if this is coincidence? Does anyone know much about this?

David Norton
    David Norton

Comment

If you look really close you'll see he's wearing a shell or sack coat AND an overcoat...
      note the two collars at top left....above collar has two hook/eyes. the right overcoat body
      seems to be underneath him and to the left. I'm thinking the material is cordoroy....and it's definitely
      a shirt, and not a vest....you can see the end seam on the plaquet, about midway down the chest.
      There also seems to be a definite shape & mass to the wales, except where it nears the neckline,
      where it seems to "flatten" I pretty sure it's a cordoroy however, if you look near the waist on the
      trousers, there seems to be a very pronounced shape & shadow to the fabric wales. Also, I don't
      know if anyone else noticed but the trousers seems to be overly large on him, with lots of stains.....
      I wonder if the trousers were "re-cycled" from someone. He certainly looks young.....18-20 maybe.
      Jeff Prechtel

A work of art which did not begin in emotion is not art.
      -Cezanne

Comment

I am pretty sure that this image and shirt was discussed in a previous incarnation of the forum which has since been lost. I believe the consensus then was that the shirt was not manufactured from corduroy, but from a striped fabric. Due to the photographic process of the period, the stripes in the fabric cause an optical illusion that makes it appear as if the fabric has depth when it really does not. I have attached a enlargement of the two tiff documents from the stereo pair that the LOC has posted of this image. I believe in the highlighted sections you can see evidence of a twill weave to the fabric.

BTW the image citation is:

Petersburg, Va. Dead Confederate soldier, in trench beyond a section of chevaux-de-frise].
        CREATED/PUBLISHED
        1865 April 3.
        SUMMARY
        Photograph from the main eastern theater of war, the siege of Petersburg, June 1864-April 1865.
        NOTES
        Enlargement made from right half of stereo pair is filed in LOT 4168.
        Reference: Civil War photographs, 1861-1865 / compiled by Hirst D. Milhollen and Donald H. Mugridge, Washington, D.C. : Library of Congress, 1977. No. 0426
        Title from Milhollen and Mugridge.
        Two plates form left (LC-B811-3183B) and right (LC-B811-3183A) halves of a stereograph pair.
        MEDIUM
        1 negative (2 plates) : glass, stereograph, wet collodion.
        CALL NUMBER
        LC-B811- 3183
        REPRODUCTION NUMBER
        LC-DIG-cwpb-02556 DLC (digital file from original neg. of left half)
        LC-DIG-cwpb-02555 DLC (digital file from original neg. of right half)
        LC-B8171-3183 DLC (b&w film copy neg.)
        SPECIAL TERMS OF USE
        No known restrictions on publication.
        Attached Files
        Brian Koenig
        SGLHA
        Hedgesville Blues

Comment

I wonder where this poor boy took his wound at. There's no sign of an injury anywhere; no blood or gore in the shot.
          Ryan Burns
          The Skulkers Mess

GGG Grandson of 1st Sgt. Albert Burns
          3rd Mississippi Infantry Regiment

Comment

Hi,

I was wondering the same thing. I was going over some other original photos, such as a sniper in Devil's Den Gettysburg, and he does not appear to have a wound either. I also found a photo of a dead Confederate bayonted in the chest at Petersburg, you can see the wound but there is very little blood. Another possiblity is that the shirt is covering the wound, and the color of the shirt would help hide any blood stains.

Andrew Kasmar

4th Missouri Company E
            Andrew Kasmar

Comment

I don't think it is likely that he has a head wound that is not visible due to the wooden object obstructing the view to his face. The head does not appear to show any evidence of deformity. It is possible that internal trauma from concussion killed him. It happens one in a while with artillery and other explosion casualties that are not directly hit by shrapnel or debris. I don't think that his trousers are doubled over at the waist though, you can see his suspender button above his right pocket clearly. I think that he has his shirt tucked into the top of his drawers and it is the top of the drawers that can be seen. After long examination, I think that the shirt is just a horizontal striped pattern, rather than corduroy.
              Matthew S. Laird
              [email]CampMcCulloch@gmail.com[/email]
              [COLOR="DarkRed"]Rogers Lodge #460 F&AM

Cane Hill College Mess, Company H, McRae's Arkansas Infantry
              Auxiliary, New Madrid Guards Mess
              [/COLOR]
              [I]"An association of men who will not quarrel with one another is a thing which has never yet existed, from the greatest confederacy of nations down to a town meeting or a vestry. "[/I] Thomas Jefferson

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

I think head trauma could still be a possibility. If you look to the right of the post, it appears to be hair. That seems a bit out of line with what we can see of his face.
                Jeff "Thad" Gallagher

Pit Rat Mess
                49th Ohio
                Huber Heights #777 F&AM

"The moralities of this company are not as good as they used to be, there is much swearing and abuse." Francis Kiene 49th OVI

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew Kasmar View Post
                  Hi,
                  I also found a photo of a dead Confederate bayonted in the chest at Petersburg

Andrew Kasmar

4th Missouri Company E
                  Which "Petersburg dead" photo is that?
                  Ryan Burns
                  The Skulkers Mess

Comment

Originally posted by mslaird View Post
                    I think that he has his shirt tucked into the top of his drawers and it is the top of the drawers that can be seen.
                    Correctamundo. You can clearly see a button from his trousers and another from his drawers.

P.S. Just had this thought: To outsiders we must seem like some strange folk.
                    Ryan Burns
                    The Skulkers Mess

Comment

Hi,

On page 66 of The Boy's War you will see a picture of a 14 year old Confederate killed by bayonet at Fort Mahone. I made a mistake, in my first post I said he was killed at Petersburg.

Andrew Kasmar

4th Missouri Company E
                      Andrew Kasmar

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew Kasmar View Post
                        Hi,

On page 66 of The Boy's War you will see a picture of a 14 year old Confederate killed by bayonet at Fort Mahone. I made a mistake, in my first post I said he was killed at Petersburg.

Andrew Kasmar

4th Missouri Company E
                        Andrew - Fort Mahone was Petersburg. What supporting evidence does the book site that he was 14 and killed by a bayonet?
                        Soli Deo Gloria
                        Doug Cooper

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Please support the CWT at www.civilwar.org

Comment

Originally posted by Jefferson Guards View Post
                          I am pretty sure that this image and shirt was discussed in a previous incarnation of the forum which has since been lost. I believe the consensus then was that the shirt was not manufactured from corduroy, but from a striped fabric. Due to the photographic process of the period, the stripes in the fabric cause an optical illusion that makes it appear as if the fabric has depth when it really does not. I have attached a enlargement of the two tiff documents from the stereo pair that the LOC has posted of this image. I believe in the highlighted sections you can see evidence of a twill weave to the fabric.

BTW the image citation is:

Petersburg, Va. Dead Confederate soldier, in trench beyond a section of chevaux-de-frise].
                          CREATED/PUBLISHED
                          1865 April 3.
                          SUMMARY
                          Photograph from the main eastern theater of war, the siege of Petersburg, June 1864-April 1865.
                          NOTES
                          Enlargement made from right half of stereo pair is filed in LOT 4168.
                          Reference: Civil War photographs, 1861-1865 / compiled by Hirst D. Milhollen and Donald H. Mugridge, Washington, D.C. : Library of Congress, 1977. No. 0426
                          Title from Milhollen and Mugridge.
                          Two plates form left (LC-B811-3183B) and right (LC-B811-3183A) halves of a stereograph pair.
                          MEDIUM
                          1 negative (2 plates) : glass, stereograph, wet collodion.
                          CALL NUMBER
                          LC-B811- 3183
                          REPRODUCTION NUMBER
                          LC-DIG-cwpb-02556 DLC (digital file from original neg. of left half)
                          LC-DIG-cwpb-02555 DLC (digital file from original neg. of right half)
                          LC-B8171-3183 DLC (b&w film copy neg.)
                          SPECIAL TERMS OF USE
                          No known restrictions on publication.
                          Well done Brian - agree with your assessment.
                          Soli Deo Gloria
                          Doug Cooper

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Please support the CWT at www.civilwar.org

Comment

Can't really tell how he was killed. 14 does look about right though:

Ryan Burns
                            The Skulkers Mess

Comment

That poor, poor boy
                              [B][COLOR=#0000CD]Matthew P. Cassady
                              [/COLOR][/B]

Comment

All deaths from that war are troubling, but to die so near to the end of the war (less than a month in the case of this boy) is particularly heartbreaking.
                                Ryan Burns
                                The Skulkers Mess

Comment

Working...
                                X