Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Wedding, a Chase, and the "Gray Ghost" of the Confederacy's Cape

Greetings:

When you see the photos of this cape, you'll barely believe that it was used during the Civil War. Curator Kathleen Golden has the story.

It was December 21, 1864, a few days before Christmas. Colonel John S. Mosby had ridden from Richmond, Virginia, to Upper Fauquier, to attend the wedding of one of his men, Jake Lavender. He was, to use a modern phrase, "dressed to the nines."

"I was better dressed that evening than I ever was during the war," wrote Colonel Mosby. "Just before starting to Richmond I got through the blockade across the Potomac complete suit from head to foot. I had a drab hat with an ostrich plume, with gold cord and star; a heavy, black beaver-cloth overcoat and cape lined with English scarlet cloth, and, as it was a stormy evening, over this I wore a gray cloak, also lined with scarlet."

CLICK HERE TO READ THE REST OF THE STORY: http://blog.americanhistory.si.edu/osaycanyousee/2014/02/a-wedding-a-chase-and-the-gray-ghost-of-the-confederacys-cape.html

Click image for larger version

Name:	MosbyCape.png
Views:	1
Size:	807.9 KB
ID:	230952
    ERIC TIPTON
    Former AC Owner

Re: A Wedding, a Chase, and the "Gray Ghost" of the Confederacy's Cape

Read this a week or so ago. It was the first Mosby article I had read since I was 12 or 13. I did enjoy it.
    Pat Brown

Comment

It's a pretty good story for sure. What got me was the "brand new" condition of the cape. It looks like it just came out of the box. Wonder if anyone has ever done a reproduction.
      ERIC TIPTON
      Former AC Owner

Comment

A great article. Mosby is one of those "under rated" officers of the war.
        Ken Cornett
        MESS NO.1
        Founding Member
        OHIO
        Mason Lodge #678, PM
        Need Rules?

Comment

Jody Nolan apparently made a reproduction of that cape for a documentary.
          Respectfully,
          Jon Bocek

~ The Dandy Man Mess / WA / VLH / LR ~

Comment

That was a nice read. It also looks as though I may have a future sewing project.
            Tyler Underwood
            Pawleys Island #409 AFM
            Governor Guards, WIG

Click here for the AC rules.

The search function located in the upper right corner of the screen is your friend.

Comment

Working...
            X