Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Confederate Frock Coat

All-

I contacted the CW dealer and asked if it would be possible to get some additional information about the soldier(s) that wore this frock coat and possibly his unit(s). The dealer understood our interest but respectfully said that sinse the item had been purchsed by a customer he wanted to contact the buyer and see if he was okay sharing that information. It has been a couple of days so I am assuming the buyer said no.

The dealer did say the frock came from a Georgia family and that their ancestors were in Georgia units. Both owners having served in the eastern theatre. One was killed in action. Not a lot of information but something I guess. In the event anything else comes along I will pass it along.
    Louis Zenti

Pvt. Albert R. Cumpston (Company B, 12th Illinois Vol. Inf.-W.I.A. February 15, 1862)
    Pvt. William H. Cumpston (Company B, 12th Illinois Vol. Inf.-K.I.A. February 15, 1862 Ft. Donelson)
    Pvt. Simon Sams (Co. C, 18th Iowa Inf.-K.I.A. January 8, 1863 Springfield, MO)
    Pvt. Elisha Cox (Co. C, 26th North Carolina Inf.-W.I.A. July 3, 1863 Gettysburg)

"...in the hottest of the fight, some of the rebs yelled out...them must be Iowa boys". Charles O. Musser 29th Iowa Infantry

Comment

At least you got it narrowed down to state and theater, it is a good start even if it is broad. It does make me wonder if it is closer to early war?
      Don Woods
      Member ABT

Comment

If you look closely at the way the coat was constructed you'll see both a "joining overcast" stitch and a back stitch which forms the top stitching. This is a feature that can be seen in a good number of CS garments that are know to have originated from GA/AL or believed to have been made in those states. It's a method not seen in a majority of CS garments and at least in my opinion the method seems to skew towards "deep south" garments. I can't recall seeing another CS enlisted frock coat sewn quite like this one.
        Brian White
        [URL="http://wwandcompany.com"]Wambaugh, White, & Co.[/URL]
        [URL="https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wambaugh-White-Company/114587141930517"]https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wambaugh-White-Company/114587141930517[/URL]
        [email]brian@wwandcompany.com[/email]

Comment

I can't zoom in on the picture, but this frock at he Smithsonian seems to be somewhat similar to the one auctioned, albeit worn by a South Carolinian.

This frock coat was worn by Confederate Army infantryman Frank B. Gibson while a member of Company D of the 26th Infantry of South Carolina. Single-breasted coarse brown wool "butternut" coat which formerly had six brass infantry "I" buttons.
          Don Woods
          Member ABT

Comment

Working...
          X