Confederate issued to home procured uniforms - Ratio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Confederate issued to home procured uniforms - Ratio

It was either William Watson or William Tunnard, both of the 3rd Louisiana Inf. and both wrote memoirs after the war, said that the regiment only drew clothing from the Gov't twice in their 4 year service. The regiment received clothing in Oct. of '61, and then again in the winter/spring of '64/'65. The 3rd spent their entire service in the Trans-Miss., with a short time at Vicksburg.

When looking at the numbers of clothing, shoes, etc., that were produced by the Confederate QM's around the South, it's important to keep in mind that just because uniforms were being made didn't mean that these uniform were making onto the backs of the soldiers in the field. We like to look at the number of uniforms being produced and say "ah ha, the Confederate soldier was well clothed, just look at the numbers of clothing being made", etc. In Shreveport during the summer and fall of 1864, a Union spy made his way from New Orleans to Shreveport, over to east Texas and back to NOLA. He reported that there were warehouses full of clothes and blankets in Shreveport, but if you read primary accounts of the soldiers serving in that department they tell a different story. Then, while reading the OR's one day, I cam across a report from a Confederate Commissary officer, and he was making mention of all the food stuffs that were going rotten because there was no rolling stock to get the food out into the field to the men who needed it. How much more important is it to feed your army than to give them a new jacket? As the war progressed, the South was looking it's railroads (i.e. engines, cars and tracks) and wagons were becoming more and more scare, too. Yes, a clothing depot reports that they made 200,000 jackets, but have you researched beyond that to find out how these jackets were getting from the depot to the soldiers in the field? Or, do you just assume that because a depot made 200,000 jacket that it means 200,000 Confederate soldiers received a new jacket?
    Nic Clark
    2017 - 24 years in the hobby
    Proud co-founder of the Butcherknife Roughnecks

Comment

Good idea, but scale it down. In the same MC&H issue as Jensen's Survey, was an article on the 1st MD (Confederate). The author looked at issues made by the regiment compared to number present for duty. The ration seemed pretty constant between 60% and 70% of the men present drew an item when it was available for issue.

Thus, about two thirds of the regiment would be wearing the most recent issue jacket, a different two thirds, the most recent issue trousers, etc. The effect looks like a wide variety clothing, even when a substantial number of the men are drawing clothing. A fraction of the men might look "uniform" while most have one or more major parts of clothing that are non issue.
      Tommy Attaway

Company of Military Historians, & etc.

Knox-Corinthian #851, A. F. & A. M. of Texas

Comment

The timing of the resurfacing of the post is very appropriate for me. I decided to return to school 18 months ago and just started an English Comp class. The topic of my paper is based around the image of the ragged rebel. The thread has offered me some more insight into potential sources. It has been fun the past week digging through my library and well as the college’s online library for information. I am intrigued with the information on Fred Adolphus’ website and just ordered his book Imported Confederate Uniforms of Peter Tait & Co., Limerick Ireland as another potential resource.

I decided that I needed to have a topic that would allow me to spend some time enjoying myself as school has taken me away from reenacting (and sewing) in order to keep family & work in balance. This paper looks to be a good break from essays and papers related to my degree program.

Thanks everyone for some inspiration.
        [FONT="Georgia"][I]Marc Averill[/I]
        Dirigo Grays
        CWT[/FONT]

[I][COLOR="Blue"]"Time sets all things right. Error lives but a day. Truth is eternal." [/COLOR][/I]
        Lt. General James Longstreet

Comment

I agree about referring to " Cadet Grey and Butternut Brown" - that entire book is essentially an attempt to answer this (your) question. I would just call it equal parts both from all that I have read. Be careful about assuming that the ANV was better or more frequently supplied - that would seem a logical conclusion, but I do not think it is true. North Carolina and the Columbus depot supplied troops all across the C.S.A. and there does not seem to have been any one consistent rule regarding supply during the war at all.
          Erik Von Gorr

Comment

Working...
          X