The William C. Nisbet Letters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The William C. Nisbet Letters

Private William C. Nisbet was a private in the "Lancaster Tigers", Company I, 17th South Carolina, Evan's (a.k.a the "Tramp") brigade. This Brigade fought in Mississippi, Viriginia and South Carolina, William fought along side my ancestors, Joseph, John, William and Lewis Deas, who were also memebrs of the same company. Most of the letters are addressed to his wife Nancy.

The letters are extracted from the UDC collections, Lancaster UDC, Volume 9 page 200.

Wilmington N. C.
    April 21, 1861

I take my seat this morning to write you a few lines, this is a beautiful morning and makes me have a great many thoughts about the past and gone. -Nancy you will have heard before this reaches you that we have left the old Palmetto State. We left Green Pond last Saturday. I landed at Wiilmington Tuesday. We had bad luck on the road, the cars run off the track above Florence and made a complete smash up, but providentially no one was hurt, we had to ride all the way on open cars. It rained on us all day Tuesday and nothing to shelter us but our blankets, it was cold. We are camped in one mile of the city. We have splendid quarters, good houses. How long we will get to stay here I can't say. The balance of our Brigade is gone to Weldon. I hope we will get to stay here, although the Picket duty will be heavy. It may be we won't be here for tonight. Nancy, I had the pleasure of meeting W.E. & John W. Stuart yesterday in the city near the same place I met them twelve months ago. I heard they were in town, I got a pal and went over. They told me you were all well when they left home. Nancy, I received your letter after I got on the cars at Green Pond. I believe it was dated the 11th. I have no news to write you. We are all well. H. H. & Marion and all the boys is well. There was eight of our company that run the Blockade from Florence and went home, all from the lower part of the district. There was 27 went home from Barnwell Dist. They uncoupled the train ten miles above Charleston, the engine left most of the regiment standing on the tract, went two or three miles before they found it out. I must close, if I saw you I could tell a heap I can't write. I hope to see you some time again and to hear from you shortly. Give my respects to Mother, Jane and Mary & Children, and all inquiring friends and receive my love for yourself and children. Diirect to Wilmington.

W. C. Nisbet

P.S. Nancy We have got orders to go to Weldon, Good-bye.

Camp Lee near Charleston, S.C.
    January 15, 1862

Dear Cousin

After a long delay I will give you a few items from Camp. By the blessings of kind Providence I am in Good health and have been since I left home except the cold. There is a vast amount of sickeness in the Camp, though but few serious cases. We have measles, mumps, itch, catarh, fever, and two cases of congestion of the brain. One of which died a few days ago. He belonged to Capt. Wilson's company from York. Our company has it share of sickness, we cannot parade more than 30 well men. John D., John C. and G.H. McMurry, are in their usual health. Y. A. Craig had an attack of colic night before last and he he is yet lying rather dull and stupid, though not suffering a great deal. N. Y. Draffin, Wilson Wallace, B.F. Whitaker, H.M. Anacrues, W.L. Batree, D. B. Barton and several others are in the hospital and they are as well taken care of as they could be at home. They are waited on by ladies who appear to sympathize with the suffering soldier and anticipate his wants.

We have company drill at 10 o'clock A.M. for one hour, at 1 P.M. for one hour, battalion drill at 3 P.M. fo 1 1/2 hours closing with dress parade. Our Col., Liet. Col., and Major are a set of noble officers. We do most of our battalion drill in double quick time. It is not near so hard as I expected. Some of our Company drill very well. Liet. Steele is a good officer, a noble fellow and a real gentleman. Two companies of this Regt. are armed with Enfield rifles, the rest with smooth bore muskets.

We have nine companies here and expecting one from Fairfield. To-night we are to have preaching in our Street--our Chaplain is a good preacher. He preaches on to-night from these words: "Destroy this temple and in three days I will raise it up." In almost every street we have prayer meeting.

William come down here and we wil learn you how to drill. Give my respects to Capt. Rogers and tell him to drill thoroughly.

Give my respects to all inquiring friends-- Aunt Nancy Nelson in particular. Remember to write Cousin Nancy and the children.

A. S. Nisbet to Wm. C. Nisbet*

Below are pictures of an actual 17th SC Regiment "Brown Bess" that was the smooth bore described by Liet. A.S. Nisbet

*It appears that W.C. Nisbet is under another company (Capt. Rogers) and then joins his cousins Company I later

"About the middle of December the regiment was sent to Charleston and went into camp on the south side of the Ashley Bridge. There the men were armed with old British muskets that had been changed from the old flintlock to percussion locks. Eight of these companies were armed with these antiquated guns, but the right and left companies A and E, drew new English made Enfield rifles that had been run into Charleston through the blockade. No better guns than these were used in either army during the war, and these companies carried and used them to the end of the struggle."

Capt. Edwards, Company A, A condensed History of Seventeenth Regiment..."
    Attached Files
    Last edited by SCTiger; 10-01-2006, 10:12 PM.
    Gregory Deese
    Carolina Rifles-Living History Association

http://www.carolinrifles.org
    "How can you call yourself a campaigner if you've never campaigned?"-Charles Heath, R. I. P.

Re: The William C. Nisbet Letters

Camp Simmons, Colenton Dist. (S.C.)
    Ravanell Station, S.C. June 25, 1862

Dear Wife:

I seat myself this morning to drop you a few lines and you will see by these lines that I am well and I hope when this reaches you it will find you and the children all well. I have had a severe spell of the cold but have get better. I had a severe pain in the head, you will be surprised when I tell you my nose has not bled a drop since I came to Camp. John C. had got a bad cold, he coughs a great deal though I think he is better, the health of our Camp is good as common. We have but two men in the hospital. Wm. Robinson and N. B. Plyler. Plyler is very sick, he is deranged part of the time. Wm. R is better, there is others complaining but still going about. Nancy I have no news to write to you this morning, the reason I am writing to you so soon again is because I forgot to write to you in the letter I sent with Mr. Lathen for you to send my hat, my every day hat down to Craigs & Taylor's store or some place where Lathen can get it and bring it to me as I need it sure. He is home on a ten day furlough if this does not reach you in time it can't be helped. His furlough will be out on Monday. It starts when his furlough is out. I expect this will be too late. I told him after I had sealed my letter about it, he said he would send you word but I concluded I would write. He said he would fetch it.

Tell Mary to keep the ring that I sent her to get home, there was one of them broke. I was ready to put it up in the letter and rubbing it and I broke it. I was sorry for it, I would not have taken 50 cents for it. Nancy, don't fret about me for while I am well, I still live in hopes to see you and the children again. I often think of you and them. I would rather see you and them than the greatest circus that ever showed in America but it is folly to write such. J. B. Nisbet is well and all of our men except Plyler, J.C. and J.B.N. joins in sending thier respects to you, the Wallaces is well, give my respects to Wm. Neill and family, to Mother and all my friends, and receive a double portion to yourself. Wm. C. Nisbet to Nancy Nisbet

Tell the children howdy.
    Gregory Deese

"How can you call yourself a campaigner if you've never campaigned?"-Charles Heath, R. I. P.

Comment

Green Pond Station, S. C.

Feb 22, 1863

Dear Wife:

I take my seat to write you a few lines. I am well as usual. I have the cold and cough some but is well enough other ways. I hope this may find you and the children well. I did not get to my Camp until yesterday, we missed connections at Columbia and had to dray our boys to the Charleston depot, left there at 5 o'clock Saturday morning, got to Charleston that evening, had to lay over there to Sabbath, took the train for Green Pond, which place I found my Regt. It is 15 miles this side of Pocotaligo. We are camped on the side of the Charleston and Savannah R.R. We got our boxes safe to camp. John McMurry and Thomas Baker and I left at Charleston in charge of a man from the 23rd Regt. he said he would take them over to the Camp. Tell Aunt Peggy Adams the things that was in my box for Carrie I had to just fetch on in my box as there was no chance to do other way, if I had a chance I would send them to him, if not Aunt Peggy will have to put it down as soldier's luck, for I done the best I could. I found the boys all well, except the cold. Marion is bad off with it, he coughs a great deal, the boys was glad to see the boxes. It is very warm here now, I will send my coat home with W. H. Belk as he will start home to-morrow on furlough. I like our Camp fine, we have good quarters and handy to wood, I have a new blanket, H. H. had drawed it for me. I have no war news to write you. I saw in to-days paper we had gained a victory in Florida. You will see Harper he can give you all the news. I will close for the present, give my respects to Wm. Neill and family, J.D. Nisbet and family. W. M. Neill sends his respects to his father, mother and the girls, my love to you and the children. Write Soon.

W.C. Nisbet to N. W. Nisbet
      Gregory Deese

Comment

Camp near Charleston, S.C.
        Apr. 19 1863

Mrs. Mary McCain will you please hand this over to Nancy Nisbet. Nancy as Capt. James Caskey is talking of coming down to see us we have concluded if he comes to get him to fetch us a box of provisions. The men have concluded to have it made at my house, get Mr. Neill and Joseph Rogers to make it for you, you will have to find out when he is coming before you do anything. If you get the chance send me some loaf bread, biscuit, butter, eggs, don't send me any meat for I know you ain't got it but I think you have the flour. Send me a lot of tarts and some dried fruit. Cousin J. S. McMurry says they have got some flour and he will send for my share of meat. You send his share of bread and other things that you have to spare, don't think we are perishing if we don't get it, we can do but we would like have something cooked at home. Thomas McCorkle is to find a horse for the old captain to go to Camden. You can contrive it to Thomas Mc. or to anyone else to send it to Capt. Caskey. Tell Sister Jane to send me a boiling of eggs. We will move to-morrow down th R. R. a mile or two. We have just got our tents put up and the streets cleaned, you see we don't stop long at one place but will be close to Charleston. We are with Evans foot cavalry. I believe there is nothing more. I remain as ever.

Your husband,

W. C. Nisbet to Nancy Nisbet
        Gregory Deese

Comment

Charleston, S. C.
          Apr. 28, 1863

Dear Wife:

I once more seat myself to drop you a few lines in answer to your letter I read a few moments ago, which I was glad to read for it appeared to me like I was never to hear from you again. I am well and hearty and my sincere hope is that when this reaches you it will find you and the chidren well. I am a little tired. We left Wilmington on last Saturday evening and landed at Charleston on Sabbath morning. We got off the cars five miles from the city, we took up the lines of marching 1 1/2 miles to where we took up Camp. Our Camp is between the four miles house and Cooper River. We stayed there until this morning, we got orders to move to the other side of the Ashley River. The distance we marched to-day was about five miles. You see they keep us moving about. I suppose it is good for our health. I am glad we have got back to our old State. Times are quiet here, occasionaly there is a report of cannon not a great distance off, but it don't leep us from sleeping if we are sleepy. We have got used to it. We are now camped in a mile of A. J. Nisbet. I saw him and had a long talk with him, You had better know I am glad to see him, he is on the sick list, not verry bad. Nancy, you wanted to know about a patch for Dick. There is no place that I can think of that would do, unless the new ground would do, but I don't know how much there is of it, but tell him he shall have a patch or the worth of one. Not to be uneasy about it, if he needs a little money give him some and keep acccount of it. Get Dick to plant the peas if he has not done it.

Tell Jane I received a letter fom her to-day. She said she had received the money I sent her in the letter, but you allowed me to guess about what I sent in your letter as you did not say whether you got it or not, but I suppose you did. Nancy, tell Mary C. that R. Montgomery and Cousin J. T. McMurry wants her to make them a hat and they will pay her price, make them the same size as mine and send them all the first chance. Nancy, raise plenty of vegetables for I will want a mess of beans, cabbage, cucumbers, Irish potatoes. When I get home if the order is not counter-manded I will maybe get a furlough this summer. I think we will get enough for once if we ever get settled. We are stationed near old Camp Lee. There is plenty of vegetables down here. I will get a mess once in a while if I can buy them. Nancy, I don't want you to grieve yourself about me not getting provisions to eat. I will get along if anybody else does. I saw Wm. Stewart and John last Saturday in Wilmington. They were both well. I had not time to talk with them. I merely spoke to them, asked if they were well, had to pass right on as our Regt. had to take the boat in a few moments. It looks a little hard. Let me know how the mule stands the work, and if Dick has done anything with the manure. Attend to the hogs, the best you can. Apr.29 Nancy, I am well this morning, the boys is well as common. I had a good nights sleep. I was on guard the night before and slept none on any account. I must close soon. I want you to write to me often and I wil do the same. Give respects to sister, Margaret, and tell her I will write her a letter the first chance. I would like to see you all but there is no chance yet. You would get a letter about Sunday that I sent with Mr. Snipes. Take a look at my likeness and see how pretty I am. Give my respects to Mother and to all my friends. Tell the children and Dick howdy.

You husband to death.

Wm. C. Nisbet
          to Nancy Nisbet
          Gregory Deese

Comment

James Island, S. C.
            May 13, 1863

Dear Wife:

I take my seat to write a few lines. I am well this morning. I have had for the past week the Dysentery, but it is hardly worth writing about since it so common. I fondly hope when this reaches you it will find you and the children well. Our Regt. is all well as common. I received your letter on the 11th, dated the 4th. Nancy, this makes the fourth camp we have been at since we came to Charleston, they don't give us much rest. We have been on a great expedition to John's Island. We got orders on Saturday evening to cook three days rations. On Saturday night at 9 o'clock, we took up the lines of march. We marched six miles, took a train at the Savannah train, ran down to Rantowle station, we got there a little before day-break, spread down our blankets and rested to-day, took up the line of march for Haulover bridge, a distance of about eighteen, we went within two or three miles of the bridge and took up Camp for the night. We stayed there until Monday, about 10 o'clock we got orders to return to Charleston. What was the reason we didn't go on and attack the enemy in their strong position on Seabrook Island, I can't say as I think that was the object of the expedition, we got back to our Camp Monday night around 11 o'clock. I completely gave out before we got our Camp. I had to get in the rear of the Regt. and take my time, but I was not by myself for there was a great many others in the same fix. I said to James White as he was with me there was only one thing I would do when I got to Camp if there was one there. Sure enough it was there and I read it before I lay down. It was about 24 miles we marched on Monday, the most of it was deep sand, but enough about the march, I have got over it, and will be on guard to-day at the breast-works about three hundreds from the Camp, Guard duty is light here. This is the prettiest place I have seen in the low country, I don't care how long they let us stay here, or that is until the War is done, for it seems like they don't give us any rest. We have been down here only two weeks last Sabbath, and this makes the fourth Camp we have been at. The place is the key that unlocks the door to the City of Charleston, it will be a hard key for the Yankees to turn; it is a strong fortified place sure. I am sitting in the Camp writing and I can look out and count the mast poles of eight or ten Yankee transportation vessels, but they don't make us uneasy. We are looking for a shelling from them some of these days, but if they do, they will get one certain, we can hear their drums every day. Nancy, I was suprised that you had not received a letter from me for I have written two since I came to Charleston. There is something wrong or you would have got some of them before you wrote your last letter. I received the letter Capt. Joe wrote me, it was dated the eight of January and I got it the eighth of May. I don't see where it could have been all that time. I believe there is not much more that I can write you that would be of interest to you. We get plenty to eat. We get meat enough for two meals a day, rice and sugar and meal. We can buy a mess of vegetables once in a while. We don't get any flour, if they will let us rest we cando very well, but it would not surprise me if we were ordered to the West, if we are we will have to go but it will be against my will, but the Lord can protect us there as well as anywhere else. Tell Mary, Freely and Robert to be good children and go to school and learn their books. Give my respects to all my friends and especially to Mother, particularly to Jane and Levina, Mr. Neill and family. Margaret and receive my love to yourself and children. Be sure and write soon, write all about the crops in general.

From W.C. Nisbet

Also for information on the Charleston and Savannah Railroad

http://docsouth.unc.edu/imls/candsrr/title.html

Attached; maps of Charleston, Haulover Cut and Rantowles Station.

Attached Files
            Last edited by SCTiger; 10-04-2006, 10:44 PM.
            Gregory Deese

Comment

Camp near Jackson, Miss.

June 21, 1863

Dear Wife:

I take my seat this morning to write you a few lines to let you know how I am getting along. I am well and I hope when this reaches your distant hand it may find you and the children and the friends all well. I received your letter today, dated June 13th. It was eight days on the road I was truly glad to hear from you, but sorry to hear that you and Robert was sick. I hope you are both better now. There is no news that would be of much importance to you that I can wrtie to you. All news is supposed in the direction of Vicksburg. We have order to leave here to-morrow morning, and I don't know where we are going, but will go in the direction of Vicksburg. Nancy, you wanted to lnow what was said to us about coming home. There was nothing said to us, neither at Columbia not after we came to Camp, not one word. Nor I don't know whether there will be or not, the health of our Regt. is tolerably good, though there is a good bit of sickness in the different Camps around Jackson, there is a heap of sickness in the 26th Regt. There has been nine deaths in it since it came out West. There is about 100 in the hospital, but they haven't got used to it yet, they have been lying about Charleston all this time. Moving about don't agree with them. Nancy, I have wrote you two letters since I came to Camp. I want you to write me every week, if you don't write twenty lines. I wrote a letter to Sister Jane this day a week ago. I think as soon as the Battle of Vicksburg is over, we will get to come back to old South Carolina, although many a one of us will never get back, but the men are in good spirits. Nancy you want to know how I found Marion Adams, he said he heard there was a Lancaster Company on the train, he hunted until he found us. Nancy I will send you a ring in this letter, it is if my own make, it is made fo pearl we got the shell in the pearl River, they look like Musle Shell, only they are very large, there is some of them would hold a pint of water, they are hard to make. I paid one-half dollar as my interest in a file to make mine. I have intended to have made one or two more, but no chance now if we move from here. Take good care of it, until i get home again, it is larger than I intended it to be, they sell here in the Regt. from $2.00 to $5.00, if you let it fall it might break. I hate it if you don't get it, but it may be lost anyhow. I will risk it in this letter. Nancy I don't want you to fret yourself about me, if I am far away, for as you remarked in your letter, the Lord is everywhere present, he has protected me so far, and I believe he will yet. I still live in the hopes that I will get home again. I must close. Give my respects to Mother, to Mr. Neill's family and to Mary and children and to all my friends. H.H.J. White, the Craigs, J. S. Mc, and all of the friends send their respects to you. Tell Dick to do the best he can for me. Tell Mary Freely and Robert howdy and kiss little Ginny for me. I hope I get home to see you and the children once more. I will close, my best and warmest love to you and the children.

Your husband to death,

W.C. Nisbet to Nancy Nisbet

Good-bye for the present.

Attached image of South Carolina Monument in Vicksburg, MS.
              Attached Files
              Gregory Deese

Comment

Greg,

Stop posting primary source material as it may confuse people! :tounge_sm
                Anyway, thanks for your efforts; good stuff.

Neill Rose
                PLHA

Comment

Evans Brigade

Rankin Co., Miss.
                  July 19, 1863

Dear Sister:

I will try to wrtie you a few lines this evening to let you know how I am getting along, I am tolerably well, I have got the Diarea but not bad. I had something like a chill on last Tuesday, but did not have any more. I think it was occasioned by over heat coming off Picket, as we were exposed to the enemy's fire nearly half a mile and we run all the way. I hope these lines may find you all well. I received your letter, it was one day ahead of Nancy's. We are on the retreat from the Capital, we are 32 miles from Jackson and are going in the direction of Meridian. I think we will go there before we stop, if we stop there, we have to march. It is 95 miles from Jackson and they can't furnish transportation for such a large army. The cars run daily from Meridian back to the army to take the sick and broke down men and cant more than keep them along. Ving, we are seeing hard times sure but I hope there is a brighter day not far distant, it's a dark time, our independence is quivering, in the balance, the enemy will soon have possession of the West, or a great portion of it. We fought six days at Jackson, I don't know the reason of our retreat yet, it is reported here, Charleston is taken. We are resting to-day. We were in a drenching rain yesterday evening. We had to make fires and dry our clothes last night. I have not got but one suit with me, so you can see what a fix I was in. The health of the Camp is not so good, J. L. took a chill Saturday night, he is bad off, also N. B. Craig has got a chill on him now. I wrote to nancy about the death of R. Montgomery, he was all the one of our Camp we left behind. There was 12 killed and 69 wounded in our Brigade, I must close, give my respects to Nancy and the children and all of my friends. James White sends his repsects to you and Nancy. May God have mercy on us all, I remain.

Your brother

W. C. Nisbet

Camp Johnson, Savannah, Georgia
                  August 26, 1863

Dear Wife:

I will write you a few lines this morning in haste. I am well and I hope when this reeaches you it will find you well to. We are under marching orders to Charleston. Nancy I am starting some of my clothes home, it is a company box and is directed to Rock Hill to the care of D.C. Roddey. I have sent one pair of pants, one shirt, one pair of slips, my coat, my old shoes, and one pair of new shoes. They will do you to wear if you get the tacks pulled out and the pegs put in the place of them. I also sent my Bible, it is almost to pieces. I hate to part with it but I did not want it to go to pieces. I can get me a testament that wont be so unhandy to carry. We have drawed another uniform suit, I have not drawed pants yet but will soon. Nancy, Thomas has a pair of pants in one of my bundles. Nancy, you do as you please about the clothes, give what of them to Dick that you please. We drawed money yesterday and I will send you a little when I get it changed. I expect you need some but I can't spare you much for I must have something to eat when I want it, if I can get it for money. I have got myself a pair of shoes. I am entitled to four pair of shoes a year and I am going to have them if I can get them, So I am going to make presents of them to you; wear them if you can and if you can't, make the best out of them you can. Before you receive this we may be in Charleston. The Bat. will be brought to Craigville and opened there. I believe I will have nothing more to write. A.C. lathan, D.A. Lathan, W. J. Robinson, John Snipes and B. Whitaker were sent to the hospital. Give my respects to all of my friends. My best love to you and the children.

W. C. Nisbet

P.S.

I have not had a meal of Irish potatoes this year yet, but will to-day at 50 cents per quart, if we leave here we don't get them. Excuse bad writing for I am in a hurry. Turn my envelopes and send them back to me.

Thanks for the comments Neil. We are indeed lucky to have so many well detailed accounts of the 17th SC. I would like to compile a book on Company I. One of the facts that strikes me is the amount of packages and boxes being sent back and forth, it does explain some of the logisitcs, it would seem that some soldiers sent their extra gear home, and receive the same back later along with some food. Hopefully I will have a comprehensive list, with accurate names of all the members of Company I. Now we just need a accurate repo of the British Musket to reenact this company, or we can always opt out for Captain Edward's Co. A., they had Enfields from the start. The primary source stuff is clear, it's all the history thereafter that's confusing.
                  Last edited by SCTiger; 10-11-2006, 11:05 AM. Reason: Additional information
                  Gregory Deese

Comment

Mr. Deese, thanks for making my stop worthwhile. Is there a note elsewhere as to the camp(s) Nisbet was in in Wilmington?
                    Paul McArthur Beall
                    Cape Fear

Comment

Paul:

I have several books to look that up, from my own knowledge, they were routinely on picket duties on the coast, they were actually in several camps.

They probably stayed near the R. R. in Halifax, Tarboro, Kinston and were engaged in a fight in Goldsboro on 17 Dec 1862, 9th of February 1863, they were at Camp Jenkins, about 15 miles from Wilmington near the Albermarle Sound. Another camp was within 4 miles of Wilmington. April 20, 1864 they returned to Wilmington to guard 2370 Union prisoners, captured at Plymouth, NC. April 24th, they went to Tarboro, then back to Charleston.

From June 1864 to March, 1865 they remained in Petersburg, VA.
                      Gregory Deese

Comment

Thanks, I'll post some modern pictures of some of the camps frequented by South Carolinians.

Locally, Masonboro Sound is flanked with four dozen large camps and heavy fortifications. Topsail Sound in what is now Pender County had a few forts and outposts. The Albemarle, which held many important strongholds and saw dozens of various sized engagements, is to the north of us above Hatteras.
                        Paul McArthur Beall
                        Cape Fear

Comment

Mt. Pleasant, Charleston, S. C.

Sept. 3 1863

Dear Wife:

I take my seat this morning to write to you a few lines. I am well hoping this may find you all in the same condition. I have nothing new to write as I started a letter to you on yesterday. J.S. McCurry is writing home for J. D. Caskey to come down and see us and fetch us some provisions if he comes if you can get a chance send me something of what you have to spare, a mess of Irish potatoes, beans, butter, bread, tarts or anything of that sort, don't rob yourself and children for I keep well I can do. Thos. Mcarell is in the hospital, he is close to our Camp, if he don't leave there he would like to have a finger in the box. Send word to his wife and she can do as she pleases. It may be there will be some one coming to Camden for sale and there will be a chance to get it there. I don't expect much to get the box but I did not want to be behind the rest. You and Mary Mc. can fix about finding the box, you found it before I believe yourself. Mark everything sent to me and Henry, send me some onions if you have them and some flour if you get the chance. Nancy I send a few watermelon seed. I will close and ly down and take a sleep. I was on guard last night, all is quiet about Charleston. "A calm always precedes a storm." J S McMurry will have his box to himself I suppose as old Mrs. Bailey is coming with Captain Caskey.

Yours as before.

Wm C. Nisbet

Tell the children howdy for me. (May God bless us all).
                          Gregory Deese

Comment

Camp near Mt. Pleasant, S.C.
                            Sept. 8 1863

Dear Wife:

Through the kind mercies of God, I am permitted once more to seat myself to write you a few lines. I am well, indulging the fond hope this may reach you and find you all well. I recieved your letter on the 6th mailed the 3rd. I would have written you on yesterday but we were working all day Sabbath on Fortification and I was verry sore across my back and shoulders and did not feel much like writing. We were on Picket last night. I did not sleep but verry little and don't feel much like writing to-day, but thought you might get uneasy. Nancy, it is stirring times here. The enemy is still gaining ground on us, but they have to fight for every inch they get. They have got possession of Morris Island. Our men evacuated it night before last and Gen. Gilmer gave the noncombatants on Sullivan Island to 10 o'clock to-day to leave the Island and the ball has already opened. I fear the result, although we will have to put our trust in God and hope for the better. Where I am sitting I can hear the whiz of the deadly missils. Its an awful sound, its continual clash of heavy guns. I cannot use language to describe it. The health of our co. is about as usual, all the boys from our neighborhood is well. Nancy you done very well about the sheep, if you had sent Dick on down here with it, I would have gave you $20. for it. I received a letter from John Stewart on the 6th. dated the 5th., him and Williams was getting better. I rec'd a letter the other day from J.D. Nisbet to H. H., it was a good letter, he said he wrote to me twice I never received them. I must close, give my respects to all of my neighbors. I hear that Hugh Wilson was dead, tell Mary, Freeling, Robert and Jinny howdy, tell Mother, Mary and children howdy for me. My best love for you and the children.

Yours,

W. C. Nisbet
                            Gregory Deese

Comment

Sullivan Island, S.C.
                              Dec. 20, 1863

Dear Wife:

I once more take up my old pen to write you a few lines to let you know how I am getting along. I am well at this time, except the cold, which is common in camp. I fondly hope when this reaches your hand it may find you and the children in good health, for it is one of the greatest blessings we enjoy on earth and for which we ought to be thankfull to the Giver of all good, for so distinguishing a blessing.

Nancy, I received your letter yesterday which was read with pleasure. I was glad to hear from you once more. I read a letter the other day from J.D. Nisbet which was a great pleasure to me. He spoke of seeing you at Church on Tuesday, and you had not received a letter from me in some time. I write to you every week. I wrote one to John D. yesterday, I wrote to him to come down and see me and bring me something to eat at Christmas, but I guess you wil get this by the same mail if he comes down. I think I will get to buy me some sale. I want him to come if he can. Nancy, i want you to send me some meat, some cookies, and some ram, the ram thing had better not have any bone in it. We don't get any meat here except beef and very little of that, no flour, only about one little muffin a week. I buy some little potatoes once in a while; three verry little ones for 25 cents, they are verry dear, but about the cheapest thing I can buy. If you send some meat this time. I won't ask you for any more soon, but I want one mess. I have the jug you sent molasses in. If I get a chance I will send it home for I would like to have it filled again. The sausage and bread you sent me by N. B. were great, but of course I had to divide with Henry White and McCorkle. The health of our boys is verry good. Henry is well, McCorkle, Craig, Belk and all of the boys from our neighborhood is well. Nancy, I have no war news of much interest to write to you. The Yanks have about give up Fort Sumter as a bad job, although it appears like it is in ruins. Yet the huge pile of brick and sand is visible to the naked eye, and every evening you can see the dense smoke and hear the sound of her signal from here parapet. The attention of the enemy is now drawn to shelling of the City, but our batteries can silence them in one hours time when they get at that. We have one 300 lb. rifle gun on the Island, one on James Island at Fort Johnson. They wake things up when they open fire on the Yanks. I was detailed the other day to help move a gun from Battery Beauregard to Battery Marshall. It weighed 11,000 lbs. We hauled it 1 1/2 miles by hand. It was hard work.

Nancy, I had a notion of sending you ten dollars in this letter, but I will wait and see if any one comes down. Nancy tell Cousin Wm. Neill that I will write him a letter some of these days . I want you to get Dick if you can. I would like to get home to hear them chickens squall. I saw Tom Neill the other day he wants to get into our company. We would swap for him S. Oliver if we could get a chance. We have made two swaps with the Regulars here of late, although you you don't know the names of the men we swaped, their names was Horn & Threatt, the men we got is Perry and Joiner, they say they are tired of the Regulars. I must close for the present. Give my respects to Mother, J. W. S. and family, Wm. Neill and family, Mary C. and the children and all of my neighbors and receive my best wishes for yourself and the children.

Your husband,

Wm. C. Nisbet

P. S. If can get a recruipt I can get a 20 day furlough

[I]The transfers WCN speaks of are as follows:

R.L. Horn goes to Company C. 1st SC Regulars (Butler's) on December 7th, 1863, he is later wounded on James Island, July 5th and 6th, while on picket duty from a iron clad attack consisting of two monitors, one gunboat and two mortar boats.

July 2–9, 1864; Single-turreted monitors USS Lehigh, Lieutenant Commander A.A. Semmes, USS Montauk, Lieutenant Commander A. W. Johnson, and other ships of the South Atlantic Blockading Squadron supported Army troops in a demonstration up the Stono River, South Carolina. Hearing that Confederate forces were about to move against the blockaders off Charleston , Rear Admiral Dahlgren and Major General Foster planned a diversionary expedition up the Stono River, in-tending to cut the important Charleston-Savannah railroad. Union monitors and gunboats shelled Confederate works on both sides of the river with telling effect in support of movements ashore. Brigadier General Schimmelfennig, troop commander, reported to Dahlgren on 6 July: "I take pleasure in informing you of the excellent practice by your gunboats and monitors on Stono River yesterday. They drove the enemy out of his rifle pits and prevented him from erecting an earthwork which he had commenced. As I shall probably have to occupy that line again before long, this fire of your monitors will undoubtedly save many lives on our side, for which I desire to express to them my thanks." Dahlgren's vessels later effectively covered the Army withdrawal from Stono River.

See:

http://www.usnlp.org/navychronology/1864b.html

Burell R. Threat (Threatt) goes to Co. D, (Butler’s) 1st SC Regulars.

Company I receives in-turn Hiram G. Joiner from Company D, Butler's
                              and Robert N. Perry from Co. C, Butler's.

Butler's existed also as the 3rd SC Heavy Artillery Regiment. It's soldiers were trained as Infantry and Artillerymen.

Amos Leander McManus of Company A, 1st Butler's and Lewis Deas of Co. I, 17th SC, both were my G-G-G-Grandfathers, both served at Battery Marshall at the same time. Just realized that fact today, so it's a high possibility that both of them were helping William drag that 11,000 pound cannon to Battery Marshall!

Battery Marshall was also the staging point for H.L. Hunley which launched it's attack on the U.S.S. Housatonic on 17 February 1864. I am wondering if either got to see the "fish boat" at the pier. From some indications, the Hunley was at Btry. Marshall in December, 1863.

http://www.researchonline.net/sccw/unit96.htm

Pictures of Battery Marshall attached:
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by SCTiger; 10-14-2006, 12:39 AM. Reason: spelling
                              Gregory Deese

Comment

Working...
                              X