Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Forms for Parade & Review, by Torbert (1864)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forms for Parade & Review, by Torbert (1864)

Here is a scan of Forms for Parade and Review of Brigades, Divisions, and Corps of Infantry, by A.T.A. Torbert. The copyright is 1864; this version occurs as an appendix to Emory Upton's 1867 Infantry Tactics. As such, it appears to have been slightly modified to conform with Upton (e.g., "Carry Arms" instead of "Shoulder Arms"). Otherwise, I think it is a useful resource for insight into how these common formalities occurred with larger units.
    Attached Files
    Greg Renault

Re: Forms for Parade & Review, by Torbert (1864)

Great Stuff! Any one know if it was ever adopted, used by Volunteers or Regulars during the American Civil War? (although with a quick read through I don't see many/any changes from the 1861 or 1863 appended Regs).

One change I saw for PARADE.....Mounted Officer's remain Mounted......always thought that the Colonel and/or Adjutant were on foot. There's that great illustration of a Regimental Parade in Cincinnatti....double ranks at parade rest about 450 files long, lone Colonel STANDING opposite the colors, and a wedge formation Band trooping the colors.
    (and yes there were a few mounted Adjutants at the Regimental level during the war (Adjutants were mounted at the Brigade Level)).

The instructions for PARADE definitively places every one...including the left of the massed field musics 3 paces to the right of the column on line with the colors (unless it's consolidated on the right)......and the Band to the Right of the First Division (unless it's consolidated to the right with the Field Music's).

And No Eyes Right for the troops during a Review.

Lots of manuals printed during the war.....not all were adopted or used.....
    Last edited by RJSamp; 11-13-2007, 09:58 AM.
    RJ Samp
    (Mr. Robert James Samp, Junior)
    Bugle, Bugle, Bugle

Comment

RJ,

These forms are for parade and review of brigades, divisions or corps. Our usual sources such as the Regulations or Gilham's manual only provide directions for parade and review at the battalion level. We know that larger formations conducted dress parade and reviews; it strikes me that Torbert is a likely guide to the manner in which these formalities were conducted, so it might be useful to have the document accessible.

Why likely? It was written during the ACW, so should reflect practice contemporary with its composition. Torbert was a general officer, so should know what he's talking about. The document is an appendix to the only authorized postwar infantry tactics manual, which suggests a certain degree of institutional approval. And, as far as I know, we have nothing else.

By the way, Appendix I to Upton's Infantry Tactics provides directions for other formalities, including battalion dress parade and battalion review. Aside from some minor changes (eg, during dress parade the Col. does not draw his sword, but salutes with his hand), these formalities follow the pattern that we are familiar with from ACW sources. (The battalion adjutant is not mounted.)
      Greg Renault

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Renault View Post
        RJ,

These forms are for parade and review of brigades, divisions or corps.

(The battalion adjutant is not mounted.)
        Thanks, we used much of this stuff for the Division Review/Change of Command for the First Federal Division at Mill Springs.

There were many other manuals\appendixes\compilations produced during the war, based on best practices, and by General Officer's, approved/adopted by an Act of Congress, etc.......and it still doesn't mean that they were used, adopted, or even read by a significant percentage of Officer's.....

For Example, We have the quote from John Gibbon's memoirs (it's mentioned in many Iron Brigade writings, e.g. Alan Nolans 1961 tome The Iron Brigade) that he learned Brigade Drill from Coppee's....and surprised his men/officer's when he, the Regular Army Artillery Captain, put over 2,000 rifles in 4 regiments through their paces. So one Artillery Captain (a French one at that) taught another how to manuever an Infantry Brigade/Division. Maybe there's a similar quote somewhere for this manual? How many were sold/purchased/printed? and when in 1864 were they delivered to, say, Woods or McPherson's officer's on their way to Atlanta and Savannah?

Truman Seymour's Artillery Manual was never adopted.....even though it has a bugle call system in it that is years ahead of it's time. Cooke's single rank Cavalry system was adopted, then pulled, then used by many Western Volunteer cavalry regiments....and Custer's Michigan Brigade was retrained in Poinsett's in January 1864....

Lot's of people were trying to cash in on their expertise, aid in the war effort, gain recognition for their scholarship.....

There were many Parades, Funerals, Executions, Reviews, Tattoo's, Drills.....for Brigades, Divisions, and Corps..... prior to this manual's printing.... this may very well codify what was 'generally' known from instruction's/manuals from the experienced few..... but somehow JEB Stuart was able to have his entire Cavalry Corps pass in Review 3 times in a single day in June 1863...without this manual.

And there were a few (that mean's not many) MOUNTED Lieutenant's/Adjutant's at the Regimental level, Infantry, during the American Civil War. Not in the regs, but there you go.
        Last edited by RJSamp; 11-13-2007, 10:35 PM.
        RJ Samp
        (Mr. Robert James Samp, Junior)
        Bugle, Bugle, Bugle

Comment

Today, I had a request for information about brigade level parade scheduled to occur this weekend. Not battalion, but brigade. A quick search brought me here where I realized I'd previously seen this file of Torbert. Then, I found the very same file on my computer from when I downloaded it a few years ago. Having seen a cleaner copy of this, I went searching for it. Here is the link : https://archive.org/stream/newsystem...e/360/mode/2up
          Silas Tackitt,
          one of the moderators.

Click here for a link to forum rules - or don't at your own peril.

Comment

Working...
          X