Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drill ??

To all,
    Is there any referance to loading and firing while in advance? I'm not talking about a skirmish formation, I'm talking about the last 100 yards to an enemy works type ordeal. (i.e. a regiment advancing in on the enemy, and each man firing and loading at will). It may be a stupid ?, I would imagine it happened, just curious if there was any type order given for that like in any manuals!

Ronnie Raymond
    CVG
    Ronnie Raymond
    CVG, Arsenal Guards

Re: Drill ??

let me rephrase my question!!
    What is the proper manual of arms for loading and firing "on the move"? What i've seen in Hardee's is all stationary

Ronnie Raymond
    CVG
    Ronnie Raymond
    CVG, Arsenal Guards

Comment

I don't recall any actual manual references to loading/firing on the move beyond skirmish drill. I've simply given the order "Load" to reenactors while marching and they had no problem doing so which would indicate the real gentlemen could have managed quite well but firing on the move in a traditional two rank formation would have been a more difficult matter with safety and accuracy concerns. I've seen numerous references to advancing troops halting to fire a volley but can't say that veteran troops in more open formations didn't find a way to fire on the move (never say never). At least early war the tactical ideal was to cross the gap as quickly as possible and close with the bayonet.
      Last edited by john duffer; 11-28-2011, 12:33 PM.
      John Duffer
      Independence Mess
      MOOCOWS
      WIG
      "There lies $1000 and a cow."

Comment

An excellent example of this mode of fire is given in "The Bloody Crucible of Courage" by Brent Nosworthy beginning on page 10. This involved the 20th Conn. at Wilson's creek in 1862.
        The Regiment was advancing and had to halt to redress their line at least twice. They then were ordered to fire by file when they took it upon themselves to fire by Battalion and load at once, continuing to fire and advance. The enemy artillery ceased and soon the Rebel infantry retired. The effect of this movement may be read in the subsequent pages.
        I have used this mode to provide a rolling fire. The troops must first loosen files, as was common in the mid to late part of the war and commence firing by file then given the advance.
        This mode of fire is commented on for both sides. At Gettysburg during Picket's Charge by the Rebels and numerous other references not to immediate hand.
        Great care and training must be done to ensure safety with loose files and locked up ranks and each man firing if he deems it safe.
        The effect in a reenactment is numbing and was described as "the most violent thing that I have ever seen".

Erik Simundson
        Erik Simundson

Comment

Originally posted by iraqvet05
          What is the proper manual of arms for loading and firing "on the move"? What i've seen in Hardee's is all stationary

Ronnie Raymond
          CVG
          I'm not expecting the original poster to see this as his post is from three years ago, but it's worth adding a reply for others. Ellsworth included a method for loading on the move. It's written for skirmishers, but some aspects can be used for battlelines moving forward. I've included it in my most recent drill booklet for the manual of arms for the rifle musket from 1863 Casey.

This link will take you directly into an easy to examine pdf version : http://44tennessee.tripod.com/drill/...863Regular.pdf

This link will take you to the front page and provide instruction how to print it as a booklet : http://www.zipcon.net/~silas/Drill/casey1863.htm
          Silas Tackitt,
          one of the moderators.

Click here for a link to forum rules - or don't at your own peril.

Comment

Working...
          X