New Booklet : Casey's 1863 Manual for the Rifle Musket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Booklet : Casey's 1863 Manual for the Rifle Musket

My latest booklet booklet is for every reenactor who uses a rifle musket and portrays a Federal infantryman from August, 1862, through the end of the war. This means this booklet should have wide usage. Don't let the 1863 title mislead you. Casey's manual of arms in 1862 is the same as in following years. The only difference I've noticed is that the illustrations are better in later versions of his tactics than the earliest versions.

My new booklet uses as many illustrations from the mid-war manuals as possible to show as many of the manoeuvers as possible. Where the quality of the illustrations is poor, I used illustrations from other manuals such as the 1861 U.S. Tactics, Gilham, Baxter and Upton. I also created new illustrations of foot movements for loading and firing. To give officers a reason to review this booklet, I also included some illustrations of sword drill from an 1865 manual while retaining original text from Casey. (By including illustrations for the sword, I'm hoping to curtail bent elbows for the carry and the Three Musketeers swooping motion for salutes.)

What makes this booklet unique is that the original manuals of arms were written for the shorter rifle with the sword bayonet and then threw in instruction how to handle the weapon if the longer rifle musket and triangular bayonet are used. For example, the original text from 1863 states :

163. Grasp the piece with the left hand as high as the right elbow, and bring it vertically opposite the middle of the body, shift the right hand to the upper band, place the butt between the feet, the barrel to the front ; seize it with the left hand near the muzzle, which should be three inches from the body ; carry the right hand to the cartridge-box. If the rifle musket is used the right hand will be shifted to just below the upper band. The muzzle will be eight inches from the body.
    Notice the muzzle being three inches from the body for the rifle and eight for the rifle musket. I changed it to :

[SoS] 163. Grasp the piece with the left hand as high as the right elbow, and bring it vertically opposite the middle of the body, shift the right hand to the upper band, place the butt between the feet, the barrel to the front ; seize it with the left hand to just below the upper band ; the muzzle will be eight inches from the body ; carry the right hand to the cartridge-box.
    The text differs slightly, but the meaning remains true to the original intent.

Another improvement is carrying forward text from earlier paragraphs which is not done in the original manuals. For example, original text from 1863 states :

[SoS] 146. At the second word, the recruits will resume the position of the third motion of support arms.
    Now the reader has to look for earlier paragraphs which discussed support arms and figure out which is the third motion. So, I brought the text forward and included a prior paragraph number :

146. At the second word, the recruits will resume the position of the third motion of support arms, No. 142, by dropping the right hand by the side.
    You'd be surprised how often this is done in the manuals.

I also include instruction for the obliques by using the method from my recent article. Because I am a purist when it comes to text, I kept the original text for the obliques, then added a remarks about the foot movements, illustrations and weapon placement.

As usual, there are a ton of illustrations I've grabbed from various sources to include : parade rest, rest on arms, reverse arms, the charge, inspection of arms, firing while kneeling, arms port and a few more. Instruction about how to load on the move from the only American period source which details the method is also included. It's frequently ordered as a "just get it done" command, but there really is instruction from Ellsworth about how to perform it quickly and safely.

Because people want to find information quickly, I included a quick appreviated index on the last page of the manual and a detailed index in the two pages before that which takes the reader to the exact page where particular paragraphs can be found. If the paragraph comes from a manual other than Casey, said paragraph number is retained and author noted clearly. Although this is a manual of Casey's manual of arms for the rifle manual, the list of sources consulted took a surprising page and a half of text to list.

I'm very proud of this booklet. I'm hoping people take full advantage of it. Not only is it good for drill, it's also good for starting fires, wrapping food and using as necessary paper. Since this is a free download, you can print another after you get home from the drill or reenactment should the booklet get destroyed for whatever reason in the field. Here's the link :

Enjoy.
    Silas Tackitt,
    one of the moderators.

Click here for a link to forum rules - or don't at your own peril.

Re: New Booklet : Casey's 1863 manual for the rifle musket

Here's a quickie link to the "regular" version of this booklet : http://44tennessee.tripod.com/drill/...863Regular.pdf It's a sneak peak at what is contained in the new booklet, but the "regular" file isn't formatted for a booklet. I use the "regular" formatted files for quick reference on the computer at home or on the road via my tablet.

When I create booklets, I format them for how they look as booklets. The "regular" version is how the booklet appears on my computer screen before my software formats them as a booklet. You can print it double sided in this format and use it, but the booklet format is what you want for field use.

The other two files marked, "odd" and "even" are formatted for a booklet. You print one on one side of the paper and the other on the back. They only work as a printed booklet. They are not followable in the electric format.
    Silas Tackitt,
    one of the moderators.

Click here for a link to forum rules - or don't at your own peril.

Comment

Working...
    X