X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• THE PARKER-HALE ENFIELD - By Craig L. Barry

THE PARKER-HALE ENFIELD
    By Craig L Barry

While the history of the US Civil War is an area of great interest to hobby participants there is also a historical piece to the (re)enactment hobby itself which dates back at least fifty years. In the early 1970s, the Birmingham gun-maker Parker-Hale began selling reproduction Enfield rifles to both (re)enactors and live fire enthusiasts, or “skirmishers.” The company ceased production (in England) of muzzleloaders in 1990. These are considered among the highest quality reproductions of Civil War-era rifles and rifle- muskets ever produced. The first reproduction Parker Hale Enfields became available for sale beginning in 1972, starting with the 1861 Artillery carbine. This was followed by their Enfield long rifle (P53) in 1974, Naval rifle (P58) in 1975 and later a .451 “Whitworth” target rifle. The P53 was by far the most popular Parker Hale product, and the one most widely used by (re)enactors. The Birmingham Parker-Hales are now gone but not forgotten. A bit of background discussion about the history of the Parker-Hale enterprise is in order.

First of all, Parker-Hale was an English gun-maker founded in the Gun Quarter of Birmingham England, but not until well after the US Civil War ended. Although the name sounds reminiscent of many Civil War-era gun-makers in the Birmingham Small Arms Trade, obviously, the company never produced Enfield rifles on commercial contract for either side in the US Civil War. [1] Alfred Gray Parker and Arthur Hale founded the business to provide shooting supplies to the British Volunteer companies and the marksmanship (target shooting) clubs in England around 1880.

Over the years the firm primarily produced small caliber bolt-action target rifles. Parker Hale’s Production Manager John Le Breton decided in the early 1970s that he wanted to make an exact reproduction of the Enfield black powder muzzle loading rifle, and that he wanted the gun to reflect the exact specifications of the original Enfield rifles. He assigned an engineer named Tony Kinchin to the project.

An expert on the history of US Civil War arms noted, “In an attempt to meet Le Breton's request, Tony Kinchin traveled to the (Royal Armoury) museum at Enfield to record the dimensions of original rifle-muskets and the tooling used to manufacture them. To his delight, the museum director allowed him to take a set of original Enfield master gauges back to Parker Hale.” [2] What this means is that Parker-Hale copied (almost exactly) from original gauges the specifications for the machine made P53 British service rifle. This is the so called type IV Enfield that was manufactured at Royal Small Arms Factory by the British War Department to supply their own troops. This particular version of the Enfield rifle was an improved design over earlier models still being commercially manufactured using individual craftsmen as they had for centuries in Birmingham and London. The two types were close in overall design, but not exactly the same in detail.

Some of the variation between British service rifle (which Parker Hale copied) and the earlier type III widely used during the US Civil War included different stock contours, lock plate screw washers and lock engraving, a rounded screw head design, along with different sling swivels and barrel bands. There has always been considerable confusion in particular about the front or “top” sling swivel on the Parker Hale, which is offset and does not resemble any type of Civil War-era Enfield sling swivel ever made. The company decided to make “a minor concession to historical accuracy” and used readily available surplus sling swivels from the World War II-era Lee-Enfield SMLE, which were less expensive than making their own in the correct center stud configuration front swivel. This decision by Parker Hale would impact the Italian made Enfield reproductions down the road. Ironically, when the Italian reproduction gun makers decided to add an Enfield model to their Civil War product line, rather than copy an original P53 they merely copied the successful Parker Hale…mistakes and all. This included the inaccurate, oddly offset front sling swivel.

Click image for larger version

Name:	PH sling swivels.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	10.2 KB
ID:	231034

Parker Hale purchased inauthentic offset front sling swivels for their reproduction Enfield

While there were differences between the Parker Hale and the original US Civil War P53 Enfield, there were also a number of details which were identical, for example the barrel which featured a 1:78 twist and progressive depth rifling. The rifling in the period correct .577 caliber bore tapers from .015 at the breech to .005 at the muzzle. All original Enfield long and short rifles manufactured after 1858 featured progressive depth rifling. In addition, Parker Hale used modern manufacturing methods to recreate this old-style rifling. Progressive rifling in Parker Hale barrels was cold hammer forged around a sliding mandrel to insure the proper depth. [3] Taking it a step further, Parker Hale lock plates were case hardened through the bone charcoal method, which results in the unique swirling color pattern. All other modern reproduction locks are not actually case hardened but have a chemically induced surface color. The Parker Hale percussion cone uses the same pattern 5/16 x 18 bolster threads as the original Civil War-era Enfield rifles.

Therefore, while the Parker Hale reproduction was very well made, especially compared to the various reproductions which followed, and got a number of things right, it was not quite the same as the earlier commercial version most widely used during the US Civil War. However despite all that, it was an immediate sales success among both (re)enactors and skirmishers.

Name:	Parker Hale 2.jpg
Size:	197.6 KB
ID:	231036

1st generation Birmingham made Parker Hale before de-farbing, serial number 5556, probably manufactured about 1980 or 1981, note type IV “British service” oval rear sling swivel and P-H stamped under the crown behind the hammer, case colored lock, etc. (collection of author)

Name:	PH Barrel.jpg
Size:	101.6 KB
ID:	231035
    Barrel marking from Birmingham made 1st generation Parker Hale Enfield (collection of author)

The net result was the Birmingham Parker Hale was the best reproduction Enfield available for most of its almost twenty year production run. When Parker Hale stopped making muzzle loaders, they sold the naming rights to Euroarms Italia, SrL. For a period of time, Euroarms produced and sold what was essentially their own reproduction Enfield with a Parker Hale barrel for about twice the price. These “2nd generation” Enfields were not of the same high quality as the Birmingham made Parker Hales, though they shared all of the same faults. [4] Euroarms went out of business in 2011 and there are currently no newly manufactured Parker Hales of any type currently available.

Part of the Parker Hale legacy is that in the void created by their absence, demand for a quality reproduction of the P53 Enfield has remained strong. After Euroarms went out of business, there has been a marked improvement in the form of newly available “de-farbed” Enfield offerings from both Italian gun makers Armi Chiappa (Armi Sport) and in particular D. Pedersoli. [5] Existing 1st generation ‘made in Birmingham’ Parker Hales in good condition still come up from time to time. If you happen to find one of those, they are well worth the cost. [6]

NOTES

1. Some examples of well-known firms from the Birmingham Small Arms Trade in the 1860s include Cooper & Goodman, Bentley & Playfair, etc.
    2. Joe Bilby, Colt Six Guns and Parker Hale, www.civilwarguns.com. February 1996.
    3. Ibid, Bilby
    4. The Italian made Parker Hale Enfields are easily distinguished by their lock plate markings which read Parker Hale in front of the hammer with no date. The Birmingham made version reads “1853” over “ENFIELD.” Neither one is period correct but besides an early four digit serial number, the lock plate is a quick way to identify a 1st generation Birmingham made Parker Hale.
    5. Armi Sport offers both a defarbed and (believe it or not) what they call a “farbed” version. Their defarbed version has a few of the worst historical accuracy mistakes corrected. D Pedersoli makes a very good quality reproduction Birmingham Tower 1861 P53 Enfield which is historically accurate pretty much right out of the box. It still requires refinishing w/ linseed oil, etc.
    6. My Parker Hale Enfield was over thirty years old when purchased, and virtually in unfired condition. It has since been “defarbed” as a LA Co P53, which it closely resembles being that like the Parker Hale, the Civil War-era LA Co was a parts interchangeable copy of the RSAF Enfield. An original LA Co 1862 lock assembly dropped right into the lock mortise and works perfectly.
    Last edited by Eric Tipton; 03-29-2014, 07:32 AM.
    ERIC TIPTON
    Former AC Owner

Re: THE PARKER-HALE ENFIELD - By Craig L. Barry

I am proud to say that I own one of these. I have never had any issues with it. Absolutely beautiful made weapons
    Shelby Hull
    3rd LA/ 48thOVI
    24thLA
    Independent Rifles

Shiloh '06
    Bummers
    Before the Breakout
    Gettysburg '13

Comment

I was involved in the expansion of my Regiments historical display unit depicting the Queen's Own Rifles of 1866.
      We purchased 30 P53 Parker Hale Enfields in 1976 and they are still in service today.
      I was able to ride on the back of this order and acquire one for myself. I had the pick of the litter as a result. Mine has a very distinct tiger stripe to the stock and has only some defarbing including sling swivel and barrel bands.
      The thing that I notice most, other than its shooting qualities, is the lightness compared to Italian made repros.
      I would like to fit a period lock plate which I have from an LAC Snider but require a spring which I will sort out shortly.
      These are wonderful rifles and serve well.

Erik Simundson
      Erik Simundson

Comment

Is there a difference in quality between the English made Parker Hales vs. Italian made ones?
        Jason David

Peter Pelican
        36th Illinois Co. "B"
        Prodigal Sons Mess
        Old Northwest Vols.

Comment

IMHO yes.
          The various aspects such as wood, case hardening, weight and finish to begin with.
          Not to mention the perceived knowledge which has been ignored.

Erik Simundson
          Erik Simundson

Comment

When these Parker-Hales came out, I was a poor college student and a North-South Skirmish Association member. I was in lust, as I was shooting a Zoli Zouave. A close friend was shooting an original Tower, which I really loved.

In the '90s, I started reenacting and my dad, who had bought me the Zouave, helped me get a Euroarms Enfield. I eventually sold that one and dropped out of reenacting for awhile. In about 2004, I finally had the funds to buy a Parker-Hale P53. Then I went hogwild and bought the 1858 and the musketoon as well.

I'm a happy man. :D
            Gil Davis Tercenio

"A man with a rifle is a citizen; a man without one is merely a subject." - the late Mark Horton, Captain of Co G, 28th Ala Inf CSA, a real hero

Comment

Hallo!

In addition....

In brief...

The "first" Parker-Hale RM benefited greatly from a higher level of workmanship and Quality Control in terms of wood-to-metal fit (sometimes described as the metal parts having 'grown' in the wood) as well as the very real but sometimes had to appreciate unless as poor Italian work in terms of the properly hardened and where applicable properly tempered internal lock parts.
              (Although a part of the story gets "complicated" with the Italian made parts PH used.)

And as Herr Barry has shared, typically the wood of the "first" Parker Hale is much nicer, if not sometimes too "figured." Not to mention the bone charcoal color case hardening plus.

IMHO, it is something of a legal schwindelschtick that the Parker Hale Enfield being sold now is basically a Euroarms Enfield with a PH name and higher price tag. And too bad, once one gets past the non ACW P1853 4th Model issues, that "Parker Hale" chose to fake the butt stock stamp and lock plate markings. But after all, it was the mid 1970's...)

:) :)

Curt
              Curt Schmidt
              In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
              -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
              -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
              -Vastly Ignorant
              -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Originally posted by Curt Schmidt View Post
                Hallo!

In addition....

In brief...

The "first" Parker-Hale RM benefited greatly from a higher level of workmanship and Quality Control in terms of wood-to-metal fit (sometimes described as the metal parts having 'grown' in the wood) as well as the very real but sometimes had to appreciate unless as poor Italian work in terms of the properly hardened and where applicable properly tempered internal lock parts.
                (Although a part of the story gets "complicated" with the Italian made parts PH used.)

And as Herr Barry has shared, typically the wood of the "first" Parker Hale is much nicer, if not sometimes too "figured." Not to mention the bone charcoal color case hardening plus.

IMHO, it is something of a legal schwindelschtick that the Parker Hale Enfield being sold now is basically a Euroarms Enfield with a PH name and higher price tag. And too bad, once one gets past the non ACW P1853 4th Model issues, that "Parker Hale" chose to fake the butt stock stamp and lock plate markings. But after all, it was the mid 1970's...)

:) :)

Curt
                Actually, those Italian PHs were essentially a Parker Hale barrel in a Euroarms everything else---they stopped making them even before Euroarms bit the dust. DGW was selling inventory on hand much like they did with the Miroku US 1861 kits. Those Miroku 61s were not manufactured in Japan for many years before DGW sold the last of them. Unlike the Italian PHs, the Mirokus were quality arms and they are sorely missed. Just as a note, besides the obvious differences in appearance, the Euroarms version of the Parker Hale can be easily distinguished by having higher serial numbers, above 15000.

I felt like it was time to take a look back on something like this. Serious Civil War living history has been going on long enough (in a sense) to have a history of its own. The Parker Hale was an important milestone in that sense.

As far as fitting original parts to your Birmingham made Parker Hale...any lock parts made by RSAF, and by association LACo, will fit or can be easily made to fit. If you read my footnotes, a complete LACo lock assembly just drops right into the Parker Hale stock mortise no problem. This is to be expected, the Parker Hale is an interchangeable, gauged copy of the RSAF P53, and so was the LACo...made on the same type machinery in fact. Hence, another advantage for the Birmingham made Parker Hale is a huge supply of original RSAF and LACo machine made parts that will fit it.
                Last edited by Craig L Barry; 03-28-2014, 08:24 PM.
                Craig L Barry
                Editor, The Watchdog, a non-profit 501[c]3
                Co-author (with David Burt) Suppliers to the Confederacy
                Author, The Civil War Musket: A Handbook for Historical Accuracy
                Member, Company of Military Historians

Comment

Now I want a Parker Hale.
                  Kenny Pavia
                  24th Missouri Infantry

Comment

Originally posted by Craig L Barry View Post

As far as fitting original parts to your Birmingham made Parker Hale...any lock parts made by RSAF, and by association LACo, will fit or can be easily made to fit. If you read my footnotes, a complete LACo lock assembly just drops right into the Parker Hale stock mortise no problem. This is to be expected, the Parker Hale is an interchangeable, gauged copy of the RSAF P53, and so was the LACo...made on the same type machinery in fact. Hence, another advantage for the Birmingham made Parker Hale is a huge supply of original RSAF and LACo machine made parts that will fit it.
                    Somehow that whole relationship never entered my mind. I should have made my PH into a LAC gun. I did have Todd Watts work my lockplate into a Tower and he did a great job. It is nice to know about the parts interchangeably.
                    Attached Files
                    Jim Mayo
                    Portsmouth Rifles, Company G, 9th Va. Inf.

CW Show and Tell Site
                    http://www.angelfire.com/ma4/j_mayo/index.html

Comment

I fell in to an original Parker Hale from the 70s, traded a Armi Sport Enfield for it +$300. The owner wanted a loaner gun and didn't want to loan that out. I later took it to Lodgewood at an event to get the escutcheons and swivel slings replaced. They said, do you know what this is worth? I said no, and they told me. I went back to the seller and offered to pay him more, but he kindly declined. It is indeed a beauty, and was pristine when I got it, subsequently it has seen good field use and is now a veteran. Maybe one day I'll have Todd finish it out on the defarb.
                      Frank Siltman
                      24th Mo Vol Inf
                      Cannoneer, US Army FA Museum Gun Crew
                      Member, Oklahoma Civil War Sesquicentennial Commission
                      Company of Military Historians
                      Lawton/Fort Sill, OK

Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay -- and claims a halo for his dishonesty.— Robert A. Heinlein

Comment

. I have a Navy Arms version from 1987 that has a four digit SN in the late 8000 range. The lock plate is marked only ENFIELD and the initials below the crown are possibly V-P. The barrel is marked as made in Italy with the load marking in drams.I think I recall from one of your articles that some of the internal parts might be found with the PH marking copied directly from whatever PH parts the Italians copied and this marking can be found, albeit very faintly. Would this be considered a an Italian PH?
                        Ken Meek

Comment

Are these Dixie Gun Works Parker Hales the same as the original Parker Hale 1853?

Dixie Gun Works Parker Hale
                          Kenny Pavia
                          24th Missouri Infantry

Comment

Originally posted by KDMEEK View Post
                            . I have a Navy Arms version from 1987 that has a four digit SN in the late 8000 range. The lock plate is marked only ENFIELD and the initials below the crown are possibly V-P. The barrel is marked as made in Italy with the load marking in drams.I think I recall from one of your articles that some of the internal parts might be found with the PH marking copied directly from whatever PH parts the Italians copied and this marking can be found, albeit very faintly. Would this be considered a an Italian PH?
                            The Bham Parker Hales have barrels marked as pictured above. That DGW Enfield you describe would be made by Euroarms.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by KPavia View Post
                            Are these Dixie Gun Works Parker Hales the same as the original Parker Hale 1853?

Dixie Gun Works Parker Hale
                            No these from DGW would be the Italian made version from Euroarms.
                            Craig L Barry
                            Editor, The Watchdog, a non-profit 501[c]3
                            Co-author (with David Burt) Suppliers to the Confederacy
                            Author, The Civil War Musket: A Handbook for Historical Accuracy
                            Member, Company of Military Historians

Comment

So it's just a euro arms enfield marked as a Parker hale?
                              Kenny Pavia
                              24th Missouri Infantry

Comment

Working...
                              X