THE PARKER-HALE ENFIELD - By Craig L. Barry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: THE PARKER-HALE ENFIELD - By Craig L. Barry

Yes, and it was 50% more expensive. I noted DGW has the Pedersoli P53 Enfield for $875...which is almost as good as the English made Bham Parker Hale of 30+ years ago, better in some ways. Certainly the cosmetic features are more historically accurate.
    Craig L Barry
    Editor, The Watchdog, a non-profit 501[c]3
    Co-author (with David Burt) Suppliers to the Confederacy
    Author, The Civil War Musket: A Handbook for Historical Accuracy
    Member, Company of Military Historians

Comment

I've been looking to buy a P53 Enfield so I will no longer have to rely on someone's loner (just got into reenacting this February). I'm in a position to buy a Parker Hale Enfield for $625 shipped. The serial number is in between 3100 and 3200. It's in good, but not excellent condition, and there's evidence of stock repair under the first (muzzel) barrel band. From what I'm reading though, $625 shipped may not be a bad price. Thoughts?

Thanks,

Matt Nowlin
      Matt Nowlin
      1st Sgt., 12th Louisiana Infantry, Co. M
      Trans-Mississippi Volunteer Infantry
      "It sucks not to be us"
      Pvt., Trans-Miss Hellcats

Comment

It probably is, hard to say. You still have to defarb it to be remotely similar to the type used in the US Civil War. With that serial number it is certainly "Made in Birmingham." I may be selling mine, serial number 5556, LACo defarbed by Todd Watts. Haven't decided yet but for frame of reference it would probably be listed at a grand ($1000). I went for an original barrel band on the middle, Watts shaped the rear band, etc and there is that much in it, believe it or not. When it is done, though...you will have a real quality piece.
        Craig L Barry

Comment

According to Todd Watts regarding cost of current Enfield defarb job, plus shipping:

"The price for all models and finishes is the same: $275"
          ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So if the P-H repro is $625, you are in it for about $900 before barrel bands. Not too bad given the current cost of NIB reproductions, etc.
          Last edited by Craig L Barry; 05-27-2014, 10:05 AM.
          Craig L Barry

Comment

So I pulled the trigger and bought the parker hale. When it came in, I noticed that the nipple lug was rectangular rather than a square, so the common nipple wrench does not fit. I'll try to post pictures later, but any ideas what type of nipple has rectangular lugs, or more importantly where I can find a wrench that fits?

Thanks,

Matt Nowlin
            Matt Nowlin
            "It sucks not to be us"

Comment

Never mind. The seller pointed me to trackofthewolf.com, where he got the nipples and wrench.

Thanks,

Matt
              Matt Nowlin
              "It sucks not to be us"

Comment

Jeeper
                You can buy replacement nipples with either the square shank, or the one like yours. You can also get nipples with a small flash hole, or a large flash hole on the underside. For re-enacting I think You should go with the larger flash hole.

Rebel Dave
                Last edited by Rebel Dave; 06-16-2014, 12:25 PM. Reason: spelling
                Dave Christensen
                Rebel Dave
                14th Miss (NSSA)
                66th NC (ACWSA)

Comment

Track of the Wolf is where I get the replacement cone(s) for my Parker Hale. Avoid the stainless steel version, it it too soft and mushrooms after a few events.
                  Craig L Barry

Comment

Minor caveat: I bought a PH artillery musketoon from a gunshop in Griffith, Indiana the winter of 1968-1969, as I recall, upon ETSing from Vietnam, so production started earlier than early-mid 1970s if my memory serves. It was a bargain as they'd lost the box, its contents, and the rammer. It was extremely accurate. Traded it off in the mid-'70s when I decided to only mess with original weapons.
                    David Fox

Comment

Hallo!

My pard Colonel Jim B. snatched up a PH musketoon as soon as they were available.... 1974. The same year as the Navy Arms (Miroku) "M1864."
                      IIRC, the "Naval Rifle" came out in 1977 or may be 1978.

Curt
                      Curt Schmidt
                      In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
                      -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
                      -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
                      -Vastly Ignorant
                      -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

1974 was the first of the P-H, as far as I could find out.
                        Craig L Barry

Comment

I have been using a 3 band Parker Hale since the mid 80's. Two things I really do like about them. The balance of the Parker Hale when you aim it.. And that the King's English was being spoken when they were made.

Dan Stewart
                          WIG/

Comment

Did the Italian made ... 2nd gen ... Parker Hale 1853 Enfield's ... marked "Parker Hale" on the lock have progressive depth rifling in their barrels, as the 1st gens did? I didn't see that topic addressed anywhere. I know the two remaining manufactures of the 1853 Enfield have made great improvements to the fit & finish of these weapons to "de-farb" them, I'm more concerned with the mechanics of the lock and the historical accuracy of the barrel specifications.

Thanks!
                            Terry Dull - CW Reenactor
                            142nd PVI, HQ - Dull, Samuel Sgt Maj, Co. H - Daniel 1st Lt, Romanus Sgt, Walter Pvt, Co. D - George Pvt
                            6th PA Heavy Artillery, Battery K - Dull, Uriah Pvt, Jacob Pvt, William Pvt

Comment

To my understanding the later Euroarms made Parker Hales consisted of the P-H barrel in a Euroarms stock.
                              Craig L Barry

Comment

Sorry to revive an old thread but I came across and ad for two Enfield black powder rifles about a year ago. When I inquired about it the old guy said he bought them in the 70s. I had a feeling these were Parker Hales. initially he said one was the musket and the other the short rifle. I had always wanted a the rifle because of my research in the Corps of Sharpshooters in the ANV.

After a drive across town I saw that one was the Rifle and the other was the musketoon and indeed they were Birmingham Parker Hales. I'm not going to say what I picked them up for but let me say I was shaking internally trying not to show my excitement. He did not ask much for them. Trying not to look to exited i blurted out I'll take them!

The 58 Navy Rifle is Serial #251X
                                The Musketoon is #430X

Anyone know what year these would be?

I don't think the Rifle has ever been shot. If either of them have it is very little. Both have the nipple protectors

I also picked up a John Browning Plains Rifle .50 cal with silver fittings from him for next to nothing too. I wish I could afford more as he was selling Colt Second edition pistols as well for about nothing too. The guy was selling all his black powder stuff.
                                Last edited by hardeeflag; 04-17-2015, 05:28 PM. Reason: Need to Subscribe
                                Rich Saathoff
                                [email]hardeeflag@yahoo.com[/email]

[URL="http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=John%2014:6;&version=9;"]John 14:6[/URL]
                                [URL=http://greens-cavalry-corps.blogspot.com/]Green's Texas Cavalry Corps[/URL]
                                [URL=http://www.arizonabattalion.com/]The Arizona Battalion[/URL]

Comment

Working...
                                X