Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pocket Watch Primer

Ladies and Gentlemen:

I re-submit, for your perusal and enjoyment, the Pocket Watch Primer. After having been lost in the most recent unpleasantness, I have attempted to reconstruct the article. I can fix it, I can make it better than it was... Anyway, I hope you find it useful.

The Pocket Watch Primer

Many of you presently or may in the future carry a watch during events. Following is information you may use to obtain the most historically accurate timepiece you are able to. These would not have been carried by everyone – many enlisted men could not afford a timepiece that could easily cost over a month’s wages. That is still the case now: a good historical watch could cost a month’s wages (depending on where you work). Most officers could afford a watch, though not all carried one. Wrist watches were still at least 40 years in the future. There are no historically accurate pocket watch reproductions at present. If you want a watch, it will have to be an original (though not necessarily from the time period). Considering how much we spend on various aspects of our hobby, and how much it would get used, getting a good watch should be a priority. Knowing a good local watchmaker to do repair work is important. I do repairs, but anyone who has hired me knows that I don’t work too fast. I will be happy to answer questions.

The Watch Movement

Stem winding and setting was not introduced into American watchmaking until the after the war, so all historically accurate (HA) timepieces will be key wind and key set (KW/KS). A VERY few foreign watches were stem wind at that time. Quality period watches could keep time to within a minute or two per week.

Jeweling

Most watches were 7 jewel – 1 roller jewel, 2 pallet jewels, 2 hole jewels and 2 cap jewels on the balance. Jewels were added on some of the wheels (gears) – 2 on the pallet pinion, 2 on the escape wheel pinion, 2 on the 3rd wheel pinion and 2 on the 2nd wheel pinion for a total of 15. Some only had jewels on the upper visible plate, for a total of 11. These are real jewels, often rubies or sapphires. They provided an extremely hard surface for the pinions to rotate in. Unlike metal holes, they did not get larger with wear under normal circumstances. Watches with more than 15 jewels were rare.

Plates

These were usually gilded brass with various carvings upon them. Movements were usually full-plate, with the wheels fully enclosed and not visible. Nickel plates became common later, but were rare in HA watches. Most were 18 size, though 16 and 14 are possible. The smaller sizes were considered to be “lady’s watches.”

Balance

This is the little moving wheel seen on the back of the movement. It could be solid steel, solid gold, or compensation. The compensation balance was bimetallic (brass over steel) with small screws (usually gold) around its rim. It could somewhat “compensate” for changes in temperature. Solid steel was most common. Post war watches are almost always compensation.

The Dial

Nearly always white enamel with black Roman numerals, single sunk (the seconds bit at 6 is sunk down a little below the level of the rest of the dial). Arabic numerals were not as common, except in the seconds bit. The “12” should be at the winding stem on an open face, and the “3” should be at the winding stem on a hunter case. If you watch is not like this, it is in the wrong case. Hands were usually dark blue steel, simple in outline. European watches often had very fancy gold hands.

The Case

Most commonly these would be coin or sterling silver, from 2 to 6 ounces, hunter case. Open face cases with thick crystals were also used. If you watch was key set from the front (as many period Walthams), your case would have a hinge on the crystal, allowing you to open it to set the hands. Rarely there could be a solid gold case, but these were (and are) very expensive. Later (post war) developments included nickel and various trade nickel alloys (silveroid, silverine, alaska metal, oresilver). Gold-filled case material was patented just before the war, but was not in common use until after the war. Any case that says “Warranted” with a time period (such as 20 years) is gold-filled.

The Chain

Most chains were coin or sterling silver or solid gold with a T bar (or sometimes a spring-ring). These were worn through a vest buttonhole. Hair chains were also used, though they are somewhat fragile. Leather or even string are possible, though if you could afford a watch, you could usually afford a chain. Gold-filled chains were common after the war. I have seen no examples of period belt clip chains.

The American Watch Company of Waltham, Massachusetts made most of the domestic watches available. Their “William Ellery” 11 jewel was common enough to be called “the soldier’s watch” during the WBTS. Lincoln also carried one. My own Waltham “Appleton, Tracy & Co.” 15 jewel was made in March of 1862, and still keeps pretty good time. It came in a 2 oz. coin silver case, which was not strong enough, and cost about $450.00 several years ago. Other American makers did much smaller business, and therefore are even more expensive (such as Howard). A period Howard in a solid gold case would probably sell for over $1200.00. Civil War era watches always command a premium. Prices fall by nearly 50% for post-war models.

Most accurate would be an 18 size war-era gilded Waltham, British or French 7, 11 or 15 jewel KW/KS in a coin or sterling silver or solid gold hunter case with a silver or gold T-bar chain having a winding key attached. Open face would also work.

Next would be any KW/KS (gilded or nickel) 18 or 16 size, 7 to 15 jewel in a silver or gold-filled hunter or open face case with a nickel, silver or gold-filled T bar or spring-ring clasp chain.

Slightly better than a wrist watch – any stem-wind pocket watch, windup or electric, on a belt-clip chain.

Sources include several good online antique watch stores. They usually stand behind their wares and have a good reputation among members of this forum. Ebay is possible for those with enough knowledge and discernment. Caveat emptor.

Consider improving you impression this year with an historically accurate watch – the time is now!
    Last edited by Eric Tipton; 09-14-2019, 10:42 AM. Reason: Duh
    [COLOR=Blue][SIZE=4][FONT=Verdana]Bob Dispenza[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=Navy]US Naval Landing Party ([url]www.usnlp.org)[/url][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=SeaGreen]Navy and Marine Living History Association ([url]www.navyandmarine.org)[/url][/COLOR]

"The publick give credit for feat of arms, but the courage which is required for them, cannot compare with that which is needed to bear patiently, not only the thousand annoyances but the total absence of everything that makes life pleasant and even worth living." - Lt. Percival Drayton, on naval blockade duty.

"We have drawn the Spencer Repeating Rifle. It is a 7 shooter, & a beautiful little gun. They are charged to us at $30.00. 15 of which we have to pay."
    William Clark Allen, Company K, 72nd Indiana Volunteers, May 17, 1863

Re: Pocket Watch Primer

AAARGH!! Why couldn't I have seen this before I bought my husband's christmas present :). At least I got most of it right.
    Annette Bethke
    Austin TX
    Civil War Texas Civilian Living History
    [URL="http://www.txcwcivilian.org"]www.txcwcivilian.org[/URL]

Comment

Great post Bob. This is exactly the kind of post the AC members should be putting together. I really appreciate your time in effort.
      [COLOR="DarkRed"] [B][SIZE=2][FONT=Book Antiqua]Christopher J. Daley[/FONT][/SIZE][/B][/COLOR]

Comment

Great information and insight! You are to be thanked!
        I have seen chains that end in what antique dealers call a shepperds hook, not a movable ring nor T-bar, but an actual hook like piece of work.
        Is this CW period?
        Steve Sullivan
        46th Illinois
        Co. Mil. Hist.
        CWPT

Comment

This is an excellent post for anyone looking for a quick education on what to look for in a period watch. I recently bought one after I got tired of carrying the modern version. Mine is key wind/key set, hunters case from 1874.

[COLOR=Blue][SIZE=2][FONT=Book Antiqua]Ken Raia[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

Comment

Steve,

Being a horologist myself, (one who studies and collects period timepieces, and not as the phonics would suggest), I can assure you that the shepard's hook is period correct for the Civil War. There is a famous picture of Abe Linclon who has a shepard's hook on the end of his chain.

Best Regards,
            Matt Woodburn
            Matt Woodburn
            Retired Big Bug
            WIG/GHTI
            Hiram Lodge #7, F&AM, Franklin, TN
            "There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Comment

As Matt said, the shepherd's hook is accurate, though I have tried to find one for years without success. There is a photo of Commodore William D. "Dirty Bill" Porter (Rear Admiral David Dixon "Black Dave" Porter's brother) with one. Just one of the many things I left out...
              [COLOR=SeaGreen]Navy and Marine Living History Association ([url]www.navyandmarine.org)[/url][/COLOR]

"The publick give credit for feat of arms, but the courage which is required for them, cannot compare with that which is needed to bear patiently, not only the thousand annoyances but the total absence of everything that makes life pleasant and even worth living." - Lt. Percival Drayton, on naval blockade duty.

"We have drawn the Spencer Repeating Rifle. It is a 7 shooter, & a beautiful little gun. They are charged to us at $30.00. 15 of which we have to pay."

Comment

Re: Pocket Watch Primer Shepards Hook

Would this be an example?

Last edited by Ken; 12-19-2006, 10:35 PM.

Comment

Here is another (William D. Porter) with key hanging just below the hook...
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by Union Navy; 12-19-2006, 11:25 PM.

Comment

Bob,

That's a great image. Someone (can't remember who) was questioning whether or not it would be accurate to hang the key off the chain as you see in this image. Their argument was they probably would not have done that for fear of losing the key, and yet here is proof positive that is was done.

I've never been sure if it's correct to have the bar through the button hole inside the vest (not visible) or the reverse (visible on the outside). Or does it really matter?

Comment

For your additional consideration also cast an eye on https://www.oldsacramentolivinghisto...reenactors.htm
                      for the article, "Pocketwatches for Victorian, Gold Rush, & Civil War Reenactors".
                      [B][I]Edwin Carl Erwin[/I][/B]

descendent of:
                      [B]Tobias Levin Hays[/B]
                      16th Texas Infantry, Co. I, Walker's Texas Division
                      22nd Brigade, "Mesquite Company", Texas Rangers
                      &
                      [B]J. W. Tally[/B]
                      4th Texas Infantry, Hood's Texas Brigade[B][/B]

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post
                        I've never been sure if it's correct to have the bar through the button hole inside the vest (not visible) or the reverse (visible on the outside). Or does it really matter?
                        Most images I have seen show the T-bar threaded through thet buttonhole from behind and hanging down in front, almost like they were showing it off. See the Lincoln portrait below...
                        Attached Files

Comment

Here are two of Lincoln with the shephards hook. Second photo colorized for your enjoyment.
                          Attached Files
                          Matt Woodburn
                          Retired Big Bug
                          WIG/GHTI
                          Hiram Lodge #7, F&AM, Franklin, TN
                          "There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Comment

Re: Pocket Watch Primer Shepards Hook

Check this out, one of the coolest hair/shepards' crook watch chains I have seen! :

If I didn't already have a nice one/ had the money I'd definitely snag this.
                            -Clay Pendleton
                            Clay N. Pendleton
                            Muncie, Ind.
                            Memberships:
                            CWPT, NTHP, AASLH, AAM, Phi Alpha Theta, NAWCC

Comment

Awesome article and thread. My wife and I were lucky, when she wanted to get me a watch we ran into a collector/restorer at the Nash-Vegas CW show in 1990. He was very pointed in his questions about what we wanted, what I was going to use the watch for, etc.
                              My question: if I am not going to be wearing a vest, and wearing trousers with a watch pocket, would it be appropriate to just ditch the chain and attach a short "fob" to the watch?

Warren Dickinson
                              Warren Dickinson

Currently a History Hippy at South Union Shaker Village
                              Member of the original Pickett's Mill Interpretive Volunteer Staff & Co. D, 17th Ky Vol. Inf
                              Former Mudsill
                              Co-Creator of the States Rights Guard in '92

Comment

Working...
                              X