Iron Brigade Uniforms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Iron Brigade Uniforms

In Appendix III of Lance J. Herdegen’s and William J. K. Beaudot’s, In the Bloody Railroad Cut at Gettysburg, Howard M. Madaus dispelled the myth that the regiments of the Iron Brigade were uniformed in their regulation dress of frock coats and M1858 Uniform Hats when General John Gibbon took command of the brigade in April 1862. Madaus quotes numerous primary sources and identifies several photographs proving that some regiments in the brigade had begun to uniform themselves in the regulation dress uniform as early as the first week of October of 1861, seven months before Gibbon took command.

A recent discovery in the archives of the Oshkosh Public Museum gives further evidence to support this fact. A small pocket photograph album, Accession No. 396, contains twelve original carte de visite photographs of members of Company E, 2nd Wisconsin Infantry. The inscription on the inside cover reads, “Presented to Helen by her brother Oscar. February 26, 1862.” The album was donated to the museum by Helen Crary on October 31, 1925, where it has remained virtually unknown. The sender was her brother, Sergeant Oscar F. Crary of Company E. Crary was a twenty-one year old clerk when he enlisted with the other members of the company on April 21st, 1861 at Oshkosh, Wisconsin. Crary was promoted from corporal to sergeant on October 15, 1861. He served with the regiment until he was discharged for disability on February 15, 1863 in Washington D.C. The five photographs from the album that are published in this article, show all of the men wearing the regulation dress uniform and hat that the Iron Brigade became associated with.

Company E, “The Oshkosh Volunteers” were formed around the nucleus of Niagara Fire Engine Company No. 1. On April 21, 1861 a patriotic rally was held at Washington Hall in Oshkosh. There the first men from town placed their names on the rolls of state volunteers. The Company arrived in Madison on May 5 and assembled at Camp Randall. Here they became Company E, 2nd Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry. The first uniform of the regiment consisted of a gray woolen frock coat, gray trousers with black seam welt, and a gray tall shako. The inner spring and stiffener of the shako was soon discarded by the men and the hat took more of the appearance of a forage cap. It was in this uniform that the 2nd Wisconsin fought with William T. Sherman’s Brigade at Blackburn’s Ford and 1st Bull Run.

On August 27, 1861 the 2nd Wisconsin joined Rufus King’s Western Brigade. This brigade became the nucleus of the famed Iron Brigade. Madaus’ Research shows that during the first week of October 1861the 2nd received dark blue Uniform Coats, dark blue trousers, and M1858 Uniform Hats with trim to replace their worn out gray uniforms that had earned them the nickname “Ragged Second.”

Prosper Stimpson was a twenty-six year old lumberjack when he enlisted in Company E, 2nd Wisconsin Infantry at Oshkosh on April 21, 1861. He was engaged at Blackburn’s Ford and 1st Bull Run. He was wounded and captured at Bull Run and later exchanged. On October 20, 1861, he wrote with some indignation to the Oshkosh Northwestern from Camp Tillinghast, Virginia,

“We have got our nice blue uniforms, and we ask no odds of any of the new Regiments Wisconsin had recently or may hereafter turn out. I am sorry to learn, from different sources, that we have a very hard name at home. But I think I can account for that. …. When some of the Wisconsin Regiments reached here, with their new uniforms unsoiled, they found the Second receiving, and well did they merit it, the title of ‘the ragged Second’! Although the uniform of these Regiments was new and consequently whole and in good condition, they received another from the government, while the Second, which had worn out two uniforms in hard service, and were not brought out on parade on account of their rags, have had to wait for theirs until now. … And the ladies, just imagine those same little dears, who blushed at our appearance a month ago, clapping their tiny hands as we pass, and remarking, ‘Don’t they look nice!’

It is possible to date the photographs in Crary’s album to within a rather narrow period of time. The carte de visite photograph of Walker K. Rouse shows him wearing corporal’s chevrons. Rouse was promoted to the rank of sergeant on December 31, 1861. This date and the inscription of February 26, 1862 on the album indicate that the following photographss were taken prior to 1862. The photograph of George Smith shows him proudly wearing his sergeant’s chevrons on his sleeves. Smith was promoted to that rank on October 13, 1861. This gives an approximate time frame between October 13 and December 31, 1861 for when these images were taken. All of the photographs from the album were taken at Whitehurst Gallery at 434 Pennsylvania Ave., Washington, D.C.

FIG 1 (OPM negative # 20416)

Corporal Walker “Printer Boy” Rouse, Company E, 2nd Wisconsin. This sixth plate tintype from the Charles R. Nevitt Collection illustrates the gray uniform issued to the 2nd Regiment in May 1861. He is wearing the gray wool frock coat, trousers with black welt, forage cap, and white canvas leggings. Rouse was a typesetter for the Northwestern newspaper at the time he enlisted as a corporal, hence his nickname.

FIG 2 (OPM negative # 20410)

Rouse appears in this carte de visite from the Crary Album wearing what became the standard uniform of the Iron Brigade: M1858 Uniform Hat with brass infantry insignia and company letter; uniform coat; and dark trousers. Rouse’s trousers also have corporal’s sky-blue tape along the outer seam. The regiment was issued dark blue trousers prior to the December 16, 1861 uniform regulation change to sky blue. He was promoted to sergeant on December 31, 1861 and first sergeant on January 1, 1863. Rouse participated in every engagement with the regiment. He was also wounded, taken prisoner, and paroled at the Battle of Gainesville. He was not as fortunate at Gettysburg where he was wounded on the first day and died in a field hospital on July 11.

FIG 3 (OPM negative #20407)

Private Richard Lester immigrated from Whales and was working as a nineteen-year-old clerk when he enlisted. After being wounded at 1st Bull Run, Lester became a clerk at brigade headquarters where he served until December 21, 1863. He returned to the company as 1st sergeant and fought through Grant’s spring campaign until the regiment was sent back to Madison for muster out in June 1864.

FIG 4 (OPM negative #20413)

Sergeant George E. Smith was born in Canada. He was working as a Moulder when he enlisted in Oshkosh. He was promoted to corporal in June 1861 and sergeant on October 13, 1861. On December 15, 1862 he was reduced to the ranks at his own request. Smith was detached in May 1863 as a regimental clerk for the Quartermaster and in March 1864 in the brigade quartermaster’s office.

FIG 5 (OPM negative #20408)

William Boyd enlisted as a twenty-one year old farmer. He was present in every march, skirmish and battle until Gettysburg. Boyd was promoted to corporal January 1, 1863. He was severely wounded at Gettysburg, which resulted in his discharge for disability. Boyd has embellished himself for the camera with the addition of a non-commissioned officer’s belt and buckle; pocket pistol with holster; and non-commissioned officer’s sword.

FIG 6 (OPM negative #20412)

Alvin N. Bugbee was a thirty-year-old lumberjack when he enlisted. He was present at Blackburn’s Ford and 1st Bull Run. His axe wielding abilities were required elsewhere and he was transferred to the Division Engineer Corps after April 1862. Bugbee was discharged on December 8, 1863 to accept a 2nd Lieutenant’s commission in the 19th United States Colored Troops. He was promoted to 1st Lieutenant August 16, 1864 and brevetted Captain on March 13, 1865. Bugbee mustered out January 15, 1867. His photograph is the only one showing the regimental number being worn inside the infantry horn insignia.

All photographs appear courtesy of the Oshkosh Public Museum, Oshkosh, Wisconsin.

Special thanks to Mark R. Karweick for his extensive newspaper research on Company E, 2nd Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry.
    Last edited by Eric Tipton; 10-19-2019, 10:35 AM.
    Scott Cross
    "Old and in the Way"

Re: Iron Brigade Uniforms

Dear Sir ,
    Thank you for the excellent images ! Most informative ! These fellers really look like they could put down the Rebellion don't they ?
    all for the old flag,
    David Corbett
    Dave Corbett

Comment

These photos show that, when tailored correctly, the frock coat was a handsome uniform indeed. Now that hat on the other hand. . .:p
      Will Hickox

"When there is no officer with us, we take no prisoners." Private John Brobst, 25th Wisconsin Infantry, May 20, 1864.

Comment

Great information, Scott!

The piping on the frocks appears quite light to my eye. Many of the "French Blue" pipings seems to be darker in the period photos. The piping weight is also of some interest - looks a little 'heavier' than I have seen on many original uniforms. (Though certainly not as beefy as on poor repops!)

Any idea of the source (i.e. contractor, etc.) for these frock coats?

Jim Moffet
        Co. A, Minnesota First

Comment

Jim,

I pulled out "In the Bloody Railroad Cut at Gettysburg", by Herdegen and Beadot, Appendix III, The Uniform of the iron Brigade at Gettysburg July 1, 1863, by Howard Madaus, and although Madaus has great documentation for the Uniform Coats being issued in early October 1861, there is no mention of the contract. These were the first issue of Federal clothing to the 2nd Wisconsin. It is almost impossible to document what contract went to what regiment. Once it is in the Federal Government's hands, there's little you can do to track a contract.
          Scott Cross
          "Old and in the Way"

Comment

Thanks for that information - wonder if there is an original still in existance out there that might shed more light on the issue.........

Jim Moffet

Comment

Sir....

When the Iron Brigade was assigned to the fith corp late in the war, I know they were allowed to keep the round first corp badge. My question is, did they put the maltese cross on top of the round corp badge? Thank you....

Your ob't servant....
              Sean Collicott
              Your humble servant....
              Sean Collicott
              [URL="www.sallyportmess.itgo.com"]Sally Port Mess[/URL]
              [URL="http://oldnorthwestvols.org/onv/index.php"]Old Northwest Volunteers[/URL]

Comment

This is awesome research. Thank you. It makes sense that the 2nd would have received a regular's issue of clothing, their state issued having really run it's course. When you talk about the IB, you almost have to make a special category for the 2nd. They had been in the army a lot longer than the other boys, and have a distinct history apart from the other 3 original regiments.
                As to corps badges late in the war: The IB incorporated both corps badges into their association insignia and pin after the war. When they became V Corps, they should have worn a green Maltese Cross. I don't know if they ever did. Late war photos of the 7th Wisconsin that I have seen don't show a corps badge at all. I'm highly sceptical about the combined corps badge occuring during the war years itself. The only surviving hats show I Corps badges.
                Rob Weaver
                Co I, 7th Wisconsin, the "Pine River Boys"
                "We're... Christians, what read the Bible and foller what it says about lovin' your enemies and carin' for them what despitefully use you -- that is, after you've downed 'em good and hard."
                [I]Si Klegg[/I]

Comment

Originally posted by Rob Weaver View Post
                  ...As to corps badges late in the war: The IB incorporated both corps badges into their association insignia and pin after the war. When they became V Corps, they should have worn a green Maltese Cross. I don't know if they ever did. Late war photos of the 7th Wisconsin that I have seen don't show a corps badge at all. I'm highly sceptical about the combined corps badge occuring during the war years itself. The only surviving hats show I Corps badges.
                  I'd be curious to find out if they did wear any Corp badge during the war after joining the V Corps and what it was (I, V, or combined). As Rob has said, the only surviving hats (that I know of) show I Corps badges. Anybody out there have any solid info on this?

Lacking any facts to base it on, my personal assumption would be that they may have held strong emotional ties to their original Corps and kept the I Corps badge if anything, or went with no badge at all.
                  Dale Campbell
                  The Pine River Boys - 7th Wis., Co. I

Comment

From OR Series I, Vol. 33, pp. 722-723, General Orders #10, HQ Army of the Potomac, March 24, 1864:" . . . The three divisions now forming the First Corps are transferred to the Fifth Corps, preserving their badges and distinctive marks and on joining the Fifth Corps they will be consolidated into two divisions.""
                    Bob Williams
                    26th North Carolina Troops
                    Blogsite: http://26nc.org/blog/

As [one of our cavalry] passed by, the general halted him and inquired "what part of the army he belonged to." "I don't belong to the army, I belong to the cavalry." "That's a fact," says [the general], "you can pass on." Silas Grisamore, 18th Louisiana

Comment

The March 2007 issue of America's Civil War magazine has a couple of articles about the IB. One of them "Pieces of the Iron Brigade" has some previously unpublished photos of items and soldiers.

I just noticed that you (Scott) have a small side article in that section about the hats and the book you mention.
                      Greg Bullock
                      [URL="http://www.pridgeonslegion.com/group/9thvacoe"]Bell's Rifles Mess[/URL]
                      Member, [URL="http://www.civilwar.org/"]Civil War Preservation Trust[/URL]
                      [URL="http://www.shenandoahatwar.org/index.php"]Shenandoah Valley Battlefield Foundation[/URL]

Comment

That article is what got me thinking. I went through every book I know of on the subject, and went on the LOC site, and found nothing. Thanks all for the info.

Your ob't servant....
                        Sean Collicott
                        Your humble servant....
                        Sean Collicott
                        [URL="www.sallyportmess.itgo.com"]Sally Port Mess[/URL]
                        [URL="http://oldnorthwestvols.org/onv/index.php"]Old Northwest Volunteers[/URL]

Comment

Originally posted by roundshot View Post
                          From OR Series I, Vol. 33, pp. 722-723, General Orders #10, HQ Army of the Potomac, March 24, 1864:" . . . The three divisions now forming the First Corps are transferred to the Fifth Corps, preserving their badges and distinctive marks and on joining the Fifth Corps they will be consolidated into two divisions.""
                          Well, that pretty much seals it now, doesn't it. It's nice to see that what we suspected was true. Thanks. That means our red circles are still good for 1864 events. In a blatent threadjack: what does anyone know about the 1st NY SHarpshooter Battalion. They were assigned to the IB after Gettysburg, and seem to have gotten along with the Westerners OK as they were veterans. Were they really sharpshooters, as in target rifles and the like?
                          Rob Weaver
                          Co I, 7th Wisconsin, the "Pine River Boys"
                          "We're... Christians, what read the Bible and foller what it says about lovin' your enemies and carin' for them what despitefully use you -- that is, after you've downed 'em good and hard."
                          [I]Si Klegg[/I]

Comment

The only usage I have seen of the red circle and the Fifth Corps cross appears on the back cover of Cheek and Pointon's Sauk County Riflemen published about 1900. It shows the red circle with a slightly smaller blue cross imposed on the top of it. As Cheek was very big in the GAR, I suspect he decided to combine the two Corps as a show of friendship. I have never seen the two combined during the war and a picture of seven members of Co. K, 6th Wis taken the night before the Grand Review shows no corp badges, but fully trimmed Hardee Hats. As for the issue of Federal uniforms, Scott Cross, as always, is correct. I also am convinced the first federal issue came from old stocks in the Quartermaster Stores.
                            Lance Herdegen
                            Lance Herdegen

Comment

Originally posted by Blackhat View Post
                              ...As Cheek was very big in the GAR, I suspect he decided to combine the two Corps as a show of friendship...
                              Sounds logical to me. Thanks for your input, Lance.
                              Dale Campbell
                              The Pine River Boys - 7th Wis., Co. I

Comment

Working...
                              X