Iron Brigade Uniforms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Iron Brigade Uniforms

Unfortuntely, I think the original photos at the start of this thread are no longer posted.
    Ian Macoy
    Blue Ridge, VA

Comment

Ian,

If you follow this link to the Oshkosh Public Museum Website Virtual Collections, go to Civil War, and then to 2nd Wisconsin, you will re-discover the pictures Scott had on his article.

These images are the property of the Oshkosh Public Museum and Scott Cross is the Museum Curator. Please read the use statement by the Museum as well.

Enjoy,

Tom
      Tom Klas
      Hard Head Mess
      Citizens Guard

Comment

Thanks for the link tothe Oshkosh Museum. That's a great site.
        Ian Macoy
        Blue Ridge, VA

Comment

Jumping over to armament, I'm in the process of transcribing and compiling 4th quarter 1862 ordnance returns for every company of every regiment in the Army of the Potomac. Most companies, but not all, did send in their returns and they list the number and type of weapon on hand at the time the return was filled out.

Below is the compiled info for the Iron Brigade regiments during the 4th quarter of 1862. Terminology for the weapons is taken directly from the forms. N/A stands for not available and means no return was found.

19th Indiana Infantry
          Co. A - N/A
          Co. B - 26 Springfield Rifled Muskets, model 1855, 1861, N.A. and contract. Calibre .58
          Co. C - N/A
          Co. D - 10 Springfield Rifled Muskets, model 1855, 1861, N.A. and contract. Calibre .58
          Co. E - N/A
          Co. F - 27 Springfield Rifled Muskets, model 1855, 1861, N.A. and contract. Calibre .58
          Co. G - 25 Springfield Rifled Muskets, model 1855, 1861, N.A. and contract. Calibre .58
          Co. H - 17 Springfield Rifled Muskets, model 1855, 1861, N.A. and contract. Calibre .58
          Co. I - 11 Springfield Rifled Muskets, model 1855, 1861, N.A. and contract. Calibre .58
          Co. K - 40 Springfield Rifled Muskets, model 1855, 1861, N.A. and contract. Calibre .58

24th Michigan Infantry
          Co. A - 65 Springfield Rifled Muskets, model 1855, 1861, N.A. and contract. Calibre .58
          Co. B - 69 Springfield Rifled Muskets, model 1855, 1861, N.A. and contract. Calibre .58
          Co. C - N/A
          Co. D - N/A
          Co. E - N/A
          Co. F - 59 Springfield Rifled Muskets, model 1855, 1861, N.A. and contract. Calibre .58
          Co. G - 72 Springfield Rifled Muskets, model 1855, 1861, N.A. and contract. Calibre .58
          Co. H - N/A
          Co. I - 67 Springfield Rifled Muskets, model 1855, 1861, N.A. and contract. Calibre .58
          Co. K - 54 Springfield Rifled Muskets, model 1855, 1861, N.A. and contract. Calibre .58

2nd Wisconsin Infantry
          Co. A - 17 Enfield Rifled Muskets. Calibre .58 and .577
          Co. B - 26 Austrian Rifled Muskets, quadrangular bayonet. Calibre .54 and .55
          Co. C - 23 Austrian Rifled Muskets, quadrangular bayonet. Calibre .54 and .55
          Co. D - 18 Austrian Rifled Muskets, quadrangular bayonet. Calibre .54 and .55
          Co. E - N/A
          Co. F - 20 Austrian Rifled Muskets, quadrangular bayonet. Calibre .54 and .55
          Co. G - 21 Austrian Rifled Muskets, quadrangular bayonet. Calibre .54 and .55
          Co. H - 27 Austrian Rifled Muskets, quadrangular bayonet. Calibre .54 and .55
          Co. I - 26 Austrian Rifled Muskets, quadrangular bayonet. Calibre .54 and .55
          Co. K - 20 Austrian Rifled Muskets, quadrangular bayonet. Calibre .54 and .55

6th Wisconsin Infantry
          Co. A - 20 Springfield Rifled Muskets, model 1855, 1861, N.A. and contract. Calibre .58
          Co. B - 27 Springfield Rifled Muskets, model 1855, 1861, N.A. and contract. Calibre .58
          Co. C - 37 Springfield Rifled Muskets, model 1855, 1861, N.A. and contract. Calibre .58
          Co. D - N/A
          Co. E - 19 Springfield Rifled Muskets, model 1855, 1861, N.A. and contract. Calibre .58
          Co. F - 47 Springfield Rifled Muskets, model 1855, 1861, N.A. and contract. Calibre .58
          Co. G - 30 Springfield Rifled Muskets, model 1855, 1861, N.A. and contract. Calibre .58
          Co. H - 38 Springfield Rifled Muskets, model 1855, 1861, N.A. and contract. Calibre .58
          Co. I - 29 Springfield Rifled Muskets, model 1855, 1861, N.A. and contract. Calibre .58
          Co. K - N/A

7th Wisconsin Infantry
          Co. A - 34 Austrian Rifled Muskets, quadrangular bayonet. Calibre .54 and .55
          Co. B - 1 U.S. Rifles, model 1840. Calibre .54; 24 Austrian Rifled Muskets, quadrangular bayonet. Calibre .54 and .55
          Co. C - N/A
          Co. D - 4 Springfield Rifled Muskets, model 1855, 1861, N.A. and contract. Calibre .58; 25 Austrian Rifled Muskets, quadrangular bayonet. Calibre .54 and .55
          Co. E - N/A
          Co. F - 7 Springfield Rifled Muskets, model 1855, 1861, N.A. and contract. Calibre .58; 36 Austrian Rifled Muskets, quadrangular bayonet. Calibre .54 and .55
          Co. G - N/A
          Co. H - 38 Rifled Muskets, model 1842, N.A. or contract. Calibre .69
          Co. I - N/A
          Co. K - N/A

Eric
          Eric J. Mink
          Co. A, 4th Va Inf
          Stonewall Brigade

Help Preserve the Slaughter Pen Farm - Fredericksburg, Va.

Comment

It appears that each regiment (within itself) was, for the most part, uniformly equipped - except the 7th Wisconsin. Any idea why they had such an ad hoc assembly of weapons?
            Dale Campbell
            The Pine River Boys - 7th Wis., Co. I

Comment

Dale,

Joseph Bilby who has researched and wrote several books on the Civil War, identified in his book on the 69th NY, The Irish Brigade in the Civil War: The 69th New York and Other Irish Regiments of the Army of the Potomac, in an appendix on firearms that the quarterly ordnance reports used a form that had several blocks for different types of Rifles, Rifle-Muskets, Rifled-Muskets and Smoothbore Muskets. Mr. Bilby surmised from his research that in some cases the ability or inability of the clerk filling in the form could lead to transcription errors which historians and researchers today find and cause us much consternation.

I am very interested as Eric continues his research and transciption of Iron Brigade documents whether it turns up evidence of transciption errors on the quarterly ordnance reports or specific examples of differing arms amongst regiments and companies.

Here is a link to Mr. Bilby's book on Amazon...
              Your Obedient Servant,

Peter M. Berezuk

Comment

Originally posted by Blackhatter1 View Post
                It appears that each regiment (within itself) was, for the most part, uniformly equipped - except the 7th Wisconsin. Any idea why they had such an ad hoc assembly of weapons?
                The great preponderance of their weapons were rebored Lorenz in .577 caliber..... wouldn't be surprised if they had them rebored so they could use more readily available ammunition cartridges (say from a P53 Enfield, and I believe you could still stuff down a Springfield .58 cartridge into a rebored Lorenz???)...Madaus notes state specifically that the reboring was to .577, not .58. I would imagine that they picked up some odds and ends (Springfield's) as a replacement for busted/broken/lost/non rebored Lorenz rifles. There are numerous diary /letter entries talking about the 'kick' of the Lorenz and the weak spring, etc......not thought of universally as being a superb weapon (although it had its proponents!).

No idea on the one company with the 1840 weapons.....
                RJ Samp
                (Mr. Robert James Samp, Junior)
                Bugle, Bugle, Bugle

Comment

Peter,

Yes, I could see how someone filling out the form could be confused, as it is nothing but columns and tables. It would be very easy to accidentally enter the info into the wrong column. I will say that there have been a couple regiments, thus far, whose info has caused me to be a bit skeptical of their entries. That said, at this point I am willing to take the info at face value, as I'm not sure how else I can check and verify it. Once I finish the 4th quarter of 1862, I plan to move on to the 2nd quarter of 1863, and eventually the first quarter of 1864. It will be interesting to see how armament changed for some of the regiments.

Eric
                  Eric J. Mink
                  Co. A, 4th Va Inf
                  Stonewall Brigade

Comment

Hi Eric,

Good research as always. I would be curious too when you get a chance to tackle the 1863 reports.

I was taken back by the early use of Enfield's by Company "A" 2nd Wisconsin but it could be due to repair issues with the Austrian Lorenz .54 caliber rifle muskets that were initially issued in January of 1862 according to a comrade of mine whom is far more knowledgeable about these things than am I.

Thanks Eric for sharing.

Tom
                    Last edited by TKlas; 10-23-2007, 09:12 AM.
                    Tom Klas
                    Hard Head Mess
                    Citizens Guard

Comment

So far, I only have immediate access to the returns for the 1st quarter of 1863. Some slight changes:

19th Indiana Infantry
                      Co. A - 36 Springfield Rifled Muskets, model 1855, 1861, N.A. and contract. Calibre .58
                      Co. B - 28 Springfield Rifled Muskets, model 1855, 1861, N.A. and contract. Calibre .58
                      Co. C - 23 Springfield Rifled Muskets, model 1855, 1861, N.A. and contract. Calibre .58
                      Co. D - 10 Springfield Rifled Muskets, model 1855, 1861, N.A. and contract. Calibre .58
                      Co. E - 57 Springfield Rifled Muskets, model 1855, 1861, N.A. and contract. Calibre .58
                      Co. F - 25 Springfield Rifled Muskets, model 1855, 1861, N.A. and contract. Calibre .58
                      Co. G - 28 Springfield Rifled Muskets, model 1855, 1861, N.A. and contract. Calibre .58
                      Co. H - 17 Springfield Rifled Muskets, model 1855, 1861, N.A. and contract. Calibre .58
                      Co. I - 11 Springfield Rifled Muskets, model 1855, 1861, N.A. and contract. Calibre .58
                      Co. K - 38 Springfield Rifled Muskets, model 1855, 1861, N.A. and contract. Calibre .58

24th Michigan Infantry
                      Co. A - 57 Springfield Rifled Muskets, model 1855, 1861, N.A. and contract. Calibre .58
                      Co. B - 62 Springfield Rifled Muskets, model 1855, 1861, N.A. and contract. Calibre .58
                      Co. C - N/A
                      Co. D - N/A
                      Co. E - 53 Springfield Rifled Muskets, model 1855, 1861, N.A. and contract. Calibre .58
                      Co. F - 55 Springfield Rifled Muskets, model 1855, 1861, N.A. and contract. Calibre .58
                      Co. G - 69 Springfield Rifled Muskets, model 1855, 1861, N.A. and contract. Calibre .58
                      Co. H - 43 Springfield Rifled Muskets, model 1855, 1861, N.A. and contract. Calibre .58
                      Co. I - 56 Springfield Rifled Muskets, model 1855, 1861, N.A. and contract. Calibre .58
                      Co. K - 48 Springfield Rifled Muskets, model 1855, 1861, N.A. and contract. Calibre .58

2nd Wisconsin Infantry
                      Co. A - 33 Austrian Rifled Muskets, quadrangular bayonet. Calibre .54 and .55
                      Co. B - 22 Austrian Rifled Muskets, quadrangular bayonet. Calibre .54 and .55
                      Co. C - 27 Austrian Rifled Muskets, quadrangular bayonet. Calibre .54 and .55
                      Co. D - 25 Austrian Rifled Muskets, quadrangular bayonet. Calibre .54 and .55
                      Co. E - 23 Austrian Rifled Muskets, quadrangular bayonet. Calibre .54 and .55
                      Co. F - N/A
                      Co. G - 24 Austrian Rifled Muskets, quadrangular bayonet. Calibre .54 and .55
                      Co. H - 32 Austrian Rifled Muskets, quadrangular bayonet. Calibre .54 and .55
                      Co. I 36 Austrian Rifled Muskets, quadrangular bayonet. Calibre .54 and .55
                      Co. K - 28 Austrian Rifled Muskets, quadrangular bayonet. Calibre .54 and .55

6th Wisconsin Infantry
                      Co. A - 16 Springfield Rifled Muskets, model 1855, 1861, N.A. and contract. Calibre .58
                      Co. B - 28 Springfield Rifled Muskets, model 1855, 1861, N.A. and contract. Calibre .58
                      Co. C - 40 Springfield Rifled Muskets, model 1855, 1861, N.A. and contract. Calibre .58
                      Co. D - 27 Springfield Rifled Muskets, model 1855, 1861, N.A. and contract. Calibre .58
                      Co. E - 20 Springfield Rifled Muskets, model 1855, 1861, N.A. and contract. Calibre .58
                      Co. F - 48 Springfield Rifled Muskets, model 1855, 1861, N.A. and contract. Calibre .58
                      Co. G - 30 Springfield Rifled Muskets, model 1855, 1861, N.A. and contract. Calibre .58
                      Co. H - 34 Springfield Rifled Muskets, model 1855, 1861, N.A. and contract. Calibre .58
                      Co. I - N/A
                      Co. K - 40 Springfield Rifled Muskets, model 1855, 1861, N.A. and contract. Calibre .58

7th Wisconsin Infantry
                      Co. A - 33 Austrian Rifled Muskets, quadrangular bayonet. Calibre .54 and .55
                      Co. B - 26 Austrian Rifled Muskets, quadrangular bayonet. Calibre .54 and .55
                      Co. C - 36 Austrian Rifled Muskets, quadrangular bayonet. Calibre .54 and .55
                      Co. D - 2 Springfield Rifled Muskets, model 1855, 1861, N.A. and contract. Calibre .58; 30 Austrian Rifled Muskets, quadrangular bayonet. Calibre .54 and .55
                      Co. E - 35 Austrian Rifled Muskets, quadrangular bayonet. Calibre .54 and .55
                      Co. F - 1 Springfield Rifled Muskets, model 1855, 1861, N.A. and contract. Calibre .58; 37 Austrian Rifled Muskets, quadrangular bayonet. Calibre .54 and .55
                      Co. G - 30 Austrian Rifled Muskets, quadrangular bayonet. Calibre .54 and .55
                      Co. H - 44 Austrian Rifled Muskets, quadrangular bayonet. Calibre .54 and .55
                      Co. I - 25 Austrian Rifled Muskets, quadrangular bayonet. Calibre .54 and .55
                      Co. K - 27 Austrian Rifled Muskets, leaf and block sight, Q. bayonet. Calibre .58

Eric
                      Eric J. Mink
                      Co. A, 4th Va Inf
                      Stonewall Brigade

Comment

Thanks again Eric. The first quarter report of 1863 tends to support the research we (Citizens Guard) had of the arms Company "A" 2nd Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry carried during 1862-1863 from other ordnance reports and returns.

By 1864, the 2nd Regiment was eventually armed with the Pattern of 1853 Enfield Rifle-Musket.

Excellent posts and research.

Tom
                        Tom Klas
                        Hard Head Mess
                        Citizens Guard

Comment

Thanks for the info guys.
                          Dale Campbell

Comment

Wow -this just keeps getting better. Thanks so much! (Nice picture there, Blackhatter.)
                            Rob Weaver
                            Co I, 7th Wisconsin, the "Pine River Boys"
                            "We're... Christians, what read the Bible and foller what it says about lovin' your enemies and carin' for them what despitefully use you -- that is, after you've downed 'em good and hard."
                            [I]Si Klegg[/I]

Comment

Originally posted by Rob Weaver View Post
                              (Nice picture there, Blackhatter.)
                              Thanks, Rob. That's from quite a few years ago, as I'm sure you can guess.
                              Dale Campbell

Comment

Could one surmize from the number of rifles/muskets reported/inventoried that this is the number of privates and NCOs that could be mustered for battle on or about that date? Or would it reflect simply that many weapons on hand? Thanks!
                                [FONT=Times New Roman][COLOR=DarkSlateGray][SIZE=3]Michael Phillips, GGG Grandson of
                                Pvt Edmond Phillips, 44th NCT, Co E, "The Turtle Paws"[/SIZE]
                                [SIZE=2]Mustered in March 1862
                                Paroled at Appomattox C.H. Virginia, April 15, 1865[/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][COLOR=Navy][B]"Good, now we'll have news from Hell before breakfast."[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE]
                                Was Gen Sherman's response upon hearing the capture and execution of 3 reporters who had followed from Atlanta, by the rebels.
                                The execution part turned out to be false.[COLOR=DarkRed] [B]Dagg Nabbit![/B][/COLOR][/FONT]

Comment

Working...
                                X