Original Confederate Haversacks...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Original Confederate Haversacks...

I find the similarities between the Gett 143 bag, the 2 bags in the AHC, and the bag in the Texas museum to be striking. Certainly there are slight differences between the bags in construction (reinforced flap) and material but the overall pattern appears to be the same. Is anyone making a copy of this type? Is the G burg bag doc'd to the Battle or is it just in the collection? These bags look like they can carry more than the standard moses alexander bag.
    Bryant Roberts
    Palmetto Guards/WIG/LR

Interested in the Palmetto Guards?
    palmettoguards@gmail.com

Comment

Bryant, yes they do carry more. After trying to get rations into my Alexander & Bailey haversacks and putting the rest in my knapsack or blanket roll, I wanted alittle larger bag. When I found Gett 143 I knew it would be more than enough. The size of Gett 143 is very similar to some Federal haversacks, but there are differences also (other than the obvious lack of waterproofing, placement of the leather strap is much further down the flap, almost on the very edge for example). I had mine made by Andrew Martin @ AKM Drygoods, he has a copy of the info I got from Gettysburg.
      Mike Barnes

Blanket Collector (Hoarder)
      44th VA / 25th OH

Comment

Patrick,
        Thanks for the amplfying info on that repro, I will see if I can track down more info from the MOC.
        Respectfully,
        Jon Bocek

~ The Dandy Man Mess / WA / VLH / LR ~

Comment

Just got word from the MoC that the repro haversack I posted about on page 3 of this thread is not in there collection. It was suggested it was based off an original known as the "Eutaw" haversack. Anyone know where I could find more info on this? Thanks!
          Respectfully,
          Jon Bocek

Comment

Here is a link to a huge haversack. It's about four times the size of the cartridge box! It does correlate to some large haversacks see in images of NC troops. I have made several copies for our battery based off the photo. It's in the William Ivey collection.

David H. Thomas
            Starr's NC Battery
            Fayetteville, NC

Comment

Dave,
              That's a cool haversack. On that same website, there is another haversack shown which appears to have a rear flap just like the one seen in the famous photograph of the body of a Confederate soldier near Mrs. Alsop's house near Spotsylvania Court House, Va. (see comparison image below). You can see the strap is sewn over this rear flap so its not the main flap. Does anyone have more info on this style of haversack? Was this rear flap just a protective measure or did it serve another purpose?

On another note, I am still looking for more info on the poss "Eutaw" haversack style as seen in my previous post. Thanks again to all who replied thus far!

Click image for larger version

Name:	REAR_FLAP_HAVERSACK_COMPARISON.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	223801
              Respectfully,
              Jon Bocek

Comment

Great observation! It must be to keep the grease away from the uniform. The page states the items are from Mickey Blacks collection so he might have some more information. Hopefully he still owns it.
                David H. Thomas
                Starr's NC Battery
                Fayetteville, NC

Comment

Dave,
                  Do you or anyone you know have a way to contact him? Would be a cool to have more info on this variant. Thanks!
                  Respectfully,
                  Jon Bocek

Comment

Mickey Black's contact info through the online website: http://www.salisburyemporium.com/mickeyblacksocks.htm
                    ~Marc Shaffer~

Comment

I don't know how I missed this, but I have pics of the Henry Neal, Breathed’s Battery (cotton cloth) haversack mentioned earlier. When I saw it I thought it was CS even though Henry Neal was in the MD Artillery (unless they were a CS group). I know they already have an object worksheet, just contact Bob at the MOC Appomattox branch. I'll try to post the pics I have of it when I get home.
                      Mike Barnes

44th VA / 25th OH

Comment

Mike, I believe that the Henry Neal haversack would be a CS haversack. Breathed's Battery was one of the batteries in Stuart's horse artillery.

I also searched the CWSS system for the name Henry Neal under the artillery branch of service, and came back with two likely ID results--one was for Henry Neal in Shanks' Company (formerly Breathed's) of Virginia Horse Artillery. The second was for Henry Neal in 2nd Battery of (CS) Maryland Artillery. The 2nd Battery of Maryland Artillery was at one point transferred to the cavalry, then served as infantry after that.
                        Joe Knight

Armory Guards
                        Yocona Rip Raps
                        "Semper Tyrannis."

Comment

Joseph, thanks for the clarification.

From the sign on the display, it lists Pvt. Henry Neal, Breathed Battery, Maryland Artillery. It was donated by a woman with the last name Parke in 1896. It lists her whole name, but I didn't get it all.
                          Mike Barnes

44th VA / 25th OH

Comment

About the GETT143 Haversack:

The bag is entirely hand sewn, and all edges are flat-felled, including the reinforcement pieces for the sling. I'm waiting to hear back on:

If the strap is machine or hand sewn
                            &
                            How the strap is put together, the description says 2 different things

I'll let you know what I hear.
                            Mike Barnes

44th VA / 25th OH

Comment

I'd like to know what you find out, Mike. I have one cut out on my project table and had similar questions.
                              David H. Thomas
                              Starr's NC Battery
                              Fayetteville, NC

Comment

Has anyone ever seen the haversack in this link http://museumofthealbemarle.com/UBF/...camp-life.html up close? It looks like painted cloth but the strap looks like leather
                                Philip Guenther
                                Columbia Rifles
                                Living History Guild

Comment

Working...
                                X