buy or make ????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• buy or make ????

How many of you out there, would,be willing to hand sew your own uniform,from a commercially available kit,like the ones Wambaugh,White produce??.Or,would you buy an "off the peg" uniform?for easiness.
    I'm just curious,as I'm contemplating doing the former as a winter project

Daz
    118th Pa(UK)

Re: buy or make ????

Hi,

It would all come down to how much sewing skills you have. I sew most of my Civil War clothing, but certain things I will buy such as frock coats, which I know I will not be able to sew with out help. you should most likely start out on small projects such as a Federal issue drawers kit, a Confederate issue shirt kit, or a Confederate haversack kit. These will give you the skills to do hard projects like a shell jacket or sack coat. I hope this helps.
    Andrew Kasmar

Comment

I've made the bulk of my kits by hand. My complete CS kit which includes 3 jackets(one frock) and 2 pair of trousers is completely hand sewn. My US impression has the trousers (SA) completely hand sewn with a second pair coming soon. I have 2 JT Martin sack coats that have some hand sewing. My officer's kit has a mixture of hand and machine. I have 8 (if memory serves) shirts all hand sewn.
      I've spent years sewing all my kits and have even dumped and replaced a lot if items over the years. With that in mind I have three comments about making your own kit. Not in any order;
      1) You save a ton of money
      2) It takes effort, time and skill (which isn't learned over night, but does develope)
      3) There is nothing more satisfying then knowing you made all your own clothing (especially when other compliment it).
      If you have the skill and the time getting kits through venders like W & W is a great way to go. I don't know your skill level so if you are new to sewing start small like with a shirt or haversack, etc. and go slowly from there. It takes a lot of time and practice to develope sewing skills.
      That's my two cents
      Kurt Loewe
      Botsford Mess
      Member, Company of Military Historians

Comment

Daz,
        I have completed several jackets and one pair of trousers. Also have done a Weller Overcoat and made a couple of shelter halves. I enjoy the items I make more than the ones I buy. The main thing is take your time. You can't get in a rush. Just enjoy the process and enjoy the mistakes (and there will be mistakes). It is worth the time in the end and you will appreciate the product much more. I do have a suggestion. Consider a blank at first. Several approved vendors carry them such as Richmond Depot. Ben Tart carries them as well. Basically a blank comes put together and you do the top stitching and button holes and finish the lining. They are still cheaper than the finished product and don't require quite as long to complete. I've never built a WW&Co. kit but I've seen several that came out fantastic. I've heard the directions and pictures are unbeatable and I plan to build a 4 button jacket soon. One thing's for sure...you will not beat the service of WW&Co. or Charlie Childs. Hope this is helpful.

Luke
        Luke Gilly
        Breckinridge Greys
        Lodge 661 F&AM

"May the grass grow long on the road to hell." --an Irish toast

Comment

I just started sewing. I began with a CS painted groundcloth I researched on the AC forum. I just finished a W&W haversack kit. I have a W&W federal issue drawers kit sitting in front of me and it's next.

I bought my first CS uniform (RDII jacket and Richmond Depot trowsers) from The Richmond Depot. I recently had an opportunity to examine one of their jacket blanks. It's 90 percent complete. You do the topstiching, install the lining, sew buttonholes, etc. You save about $100. I was impressed with the blank. After a few more small projects (Louisiana Shirt maybe) I wouldn't hesitate tackling one of their blanks.

Besides saving money I think you get a lot of personal satisfaction from sewing your own. Don't be afraid to make a mistake. If you do, just rip out the seam and start over. Like anything else the more you do the better you get.

Finally, I recommend you try something small and go from there. Good Luck!
          Steve Boecker
          Co. A First Texas Infantry
          28th Louisiana IPW

"Too late, sir, the battle is won.”
          Richard Taylor after the Battle of Mansfield to a messenger from Kirby Smith ordering him to retreat

Comment

I'd be more than willing to tackle it, myself - just need the time...
            [FONT="Comic Sans MS"][COLOR="Blue"]Richard Knack[/COLOR][/FONT]

Comment

I would suggest starting with a W&W kit as they are excellent quality and the detailed instructions are top notch. I finished his SA trouser kit a few months back and it was a great experience, an very rewarding. Charlie Childs patterns/kits are not for someone starting out as though great, the instructions are minimal, which ends up being part of the enjoyment/challange.

Others have stated elsewhere on the forum to start with a haversack - W&W has a CS Haversack kit. Why not start there as it is a small investment and then decide if you want to tackle something bigger?
              [FONT="Georgia"][I]Marc Averill[/I]
              Dirigo Grays
              CWT[/FONT]

[I][COLOR="Blue"]"Time sets all things right. Error lives but a day. Truth is eternal." [/COLOR][/I]
              Lt. General James Longstreet

Comment

I agree that, I never had make before making and I am not more best than the other for the sewing, the whole is to begin, bread bag, coat, vest, etc. It is only a question of time and sewing stitches ;), the kits of W&W are good to teach, they are very detailed, I would never tell enough thanks as W&W and my friend la Plume to advance the bad dressmakers as me :) .
                And then it is a great pleasure , for me it any cases, to make some equipment with my hands, I made my CD and begin my Penitentiary cloth jacket for IPW, I was a part of my shirts and drawser also for 12 years, with the same pleasure...
                And then error, after error, advice after advice, we advance and win in quality, it is like that for everything and all ;)
                William Miconnet
                French Mess
                AES
                BGR & IPW Survivor
                Never ever give up!
                In memory of Steve Boulton, live the little story, lost in the history...
                I believe!

Comment

I've gotten better at sewing as my Mother has sewed for her whole life so if I get stuck she can help but I think I may tackle a WW SA Kit This fall. Making your own clothing is much more rewarding than buying pre-made.
                  Joshua Schweickhardt

Comment

Better for the spirit and the wallet also, but less indeed for fingers :D:D:D
                    William Miconnet
                    French Mess
                    AES
                    BGR & IPW Survivor
                    Never ever give up!
                    I believe!

Comment

Hallo!

"Doing it oneself" is a great and cost-effective way to go.

However, I would add a caveat.

These "projects" can be a Learning Curve that relies on a combination of one's current skill set when it comes to assembling and sewing a pattern or kit, plus the ability to learn and grow with it.
                      Meaning, I know lads that have and develop the skills, abilities, and talents to product items of gear and articles of clothing that rival or exceed the Top Names out there in terms of construction and period sewing techniques and types and places of correct stitches, etc.
                      But, at the same time, I know lads and have friends that can take $1,000 worth of gun parts and produce a $200 gun, just as lads who can take a $100kit and produce a $10 garment.

Depending upons one skill set and aptitude, I would suggest borrowing from History and the arsenal/depot system- where it was common that young lasses startred out on the "easier" and "less visible" garments like assembling drawers and shirts, then progressing and advancing to blouses and trousers, then jackets, etc. And, not perhaps starting out with a dress coat...

Others' mileage will vary...

Curt
                      Curt Schmidt
                      In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
                      -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
                      -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
                      -Vastly Ignorant
                      -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

I have to agree with Curt on this 100%. I've made well over 100 pair of trousers and I can still pick out things in each pair I should have done different. There are a lot of do-it-yourself types that should have saved up the extra bit and purchased the item out right. No offense intended in my message, but I have seen 100% handsewn garments that were worse off than the stuff on the worst sutlers table in the world. Construction and TECHNIQUE are just as important as the pattern and whether or not something is handsewn or not. In most cases we rely too heavy on that 100% handsewn means 100% correct mentality as well.
                        Patrick Landrum
                        Independent Rifles

Comment

Originally posted by Curt-Heinrich Schmidt View Post
                          where it was common that young lasses startred out on the "easier" and "less visible" garments like assembling drawers and shirts, then progressing and advancing to blouses and trousers, then jackets, etc. And, not perhaps starting out with a dress coat...

Others' mileage will vary...

Curt

It is exactly my route in the sewing :confused_, attention on you this name me young lasses :baring_te :D
                          William Miconnet
                          French Mess
                          AES
                          BGR & IPW Survivor
                          Never ever give up!
                          I believe!

Comment

Hi,

I would have to agree. I have to be very careful when sewing clothing. I would say make sure you follow every detail in the garment, and take your time. I have rushed several garments that now I have taken apart and fixed the details that I rushed through in the original sewing. I would also agree that just because it completely hand sewn does not make it authentic.
                            Andrew Kasmar

Comment

I agree, nothing is perfect the first try, I also made and redid and dismantling and back up...
                              Here we say " make and redo, it's always work "
                              William Miconnet
                              French Mess
                              AES
                              BGR & IPW Survivor
                              Never ever give up!
                              I believe!

Comment

Working...
                              X