Keeping Dry?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Keeping Dry?

My old pard (also an infantry vet like me and both of us over six feet tall) and I had a method that worked fairly well. When it was absolutely pouring and we had to make camp, we had a routine. The best we could hope for was to keep our 'core' part dry--that's thighs to neck, and the blankets in that same area. We had to sacrifice the rest to wet but at least that important part of us would stay dry (warm--as it would get downright chilly at night when wet).
    I had the better dog tent so carried both halfs already buttoned up. What we'd do is pull one of the gum blankets out and lay it over both our knapsacks after grounding them back (wet) side down. Then reaching under the gum blanket without disturbing it we'd unpack the tent and set it up over the top of the knapsacks and gum blanket--which would then get pulled off and used for the back wall of the tent with it being tucked under the knapsacks to hold it down. The other gum blanket would become the floor and beings that I carried both tent halfs he carried an extra gum blanket which lay over our legs that (because of our size) stuck out from the end of the tent while we slept and also be the one worn when either of us had to do duty outside (while the other one could curl up and get his legs inside).
    We'd climb in one at a time and change out of wet jacket and into a dry shirt (from inside knapsack). We'd sleep in our shoes but put on dry socks before retiring.
    A tight squeeze (two 6+ foot 200+ pounders in a dog tent!!) but we'd stay amazingly warm and dry (and not too close of friends!!) even when there was icy rain and snow.
    The system worked, while others would get washed or frozen out, we stayed quite tolerable even in some awfully nasty weather.
    Spence Waldron~
    Coffee cooler

"Straggled out and did not catch up."

Comment

There's no way to stay dry. Every soldier's memoir I've ever read reads like a weather forecast.

Here's what I do to ease my suffering on those rare occasions:
      -bring extra socks (to prevent blisters from wet feet).
      -wrap my blanket up in my rubber blanket when rolled-up on my knapsack to keep it dry as possible.
      -pack things up in my pack at night (the tared canvas on my does an OK job keeping the contents dry).
      -thank my lucky stars I live in California (rain, snow - what are those?)

Dave Schwartz
      Dave Schwartz,
      Company B, 79th NY Vols.
      (New York Highland Guard)

Comment

I have two shelter halves,but they incorrectly patterned(from the old farb days).I have two groundcloths and a poncho,so I can probably make some kind of shelter.
        Shawn Sturgill
        Governor Guards
        SCAR

Comment

Hi,

I would say if you take a Federal shelter half (depending on the impression) and a gum blanket you should be able to keep kinda dry. No, matter how hard you try, you will get wet, and your equipment will get wet. I would recommend you try to keep your ammunition, gun, and food dry. If you put your ammunition in your knapsack, you should be okay. At night, I try to find some dry wood, hay, or leaves to sleep on, and then I put the gum blanket over me, my gun, and my haversack. I hope this helps.
          Andrew Kasmar

Comment

Sean,
            I have some insight as a 5 time veteran of this event. Unfortunately, the river is up now...and if it rains more, will get up higher before Sunday. Fortunately I know the host well. There's a barn. In the original encampment...the Rebs got in it. Tonight, if it rains, i'll be in it. Tomorrow, if it rains, I'll be in it. Now to add in the conversation:
            An old WWII vet once told me that there are two things that will kill you quicker than an enemy bullet.....
            1. Wet feet
            2. Hookers
            I've always thought that phrase applied to the CW period very well. Keep your feet dry. Believe it or not, if you have taken good care of your brogans they will keep your feet fairly dry and warm.....but I cannot stress the importance of dry socks strongly enough. Wet feet leads to pneumonia. Here's what I do....
            WEAR ALL GEAR AT ALL TIMES...KEEP PONCHO ON!
            1. Find some small timbers (lay firewood already sawed together tightly if necessary) to prevent water from running in around you too quickly.
            2. If available, and it will be, secure some straw or hay and fill the area between (3ft by 6ft). Place ground cloth on top of it (rubber down).
            3. With blanket on top of ground cloth you and your gear lay down between the timbers on top of the ground cloth and blanket.
            4. With a free hand...grab blanket and ground cloth and roll to your left bringing half of the ground cloth/blanket with you so that half the rubber/paint ends up on top. This puts your cartridge box off the ground and under the gum blanket.
            5. Place a small sharpened twig through the grommet and stick it in the ground so that the wind or you squirming in your sleep will not uncover you.
            This is what I do...hope it works.
            Luke Gilly
            Breckinridge Greys
            Lodge 661 F&AM

"May the grass grow long on the road to hell." --an Irish toast

Comment

Here's a period quote taken from a Zouve soldier at camp Lee:
              "Soon after the regiment had deployed into column, a gentle, refreshing rain began to baptize our GOOD CLOTHES. The regiment seemed lugubrious; but the “Zou Zaus,” equal to any emergency, hastily unslung the Reith knapsack, restrapped the interior bundle to the shoulder, donned the oil cloth, and prevented an exterior defiant to Iris, the goddess of cloud and shower."
              They got wet and so will we...but not in the barn!
              Luke Gilly
              Breckinridge Greys
              Lodge 661 F&AM

Comment

Rant light on.

Perhaps an entire generation of American male has somehow managed to grow up without hunting, fishing, trapping, hiking, or working in the great outdoors in the dust, rain, mud, sun, moon, heat, wind, sleet, ice, snow, smoke, flatulent stank, and hail...or cooking bacon in the dark.

Some cranky old fart had to say it, so there you have it.

Rant light off.
                [B]Charles Heath[/B]
                [EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]heath9999@aol.com[/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Spanglers_Spring_Living_History/"]12 - 14 Jun 09 Hoosiers at Gettysburg[/URL]

[EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]17-19 Jul 09 Mumford/GCV Carpe Eventum [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="beatlefans1@verizon.net"]31 Jul - 2 Aug 09 Texans at Gettysburg [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="JDO@npmhu.org"] 11-13 Sep 09 Fortress Monroe [/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Elmira_Death_March/?yguid=25647636"]2-4 Oct 09 Death March XI - Corduroy[/URL]

[EMAIL="oldsoldier51@yahoo.com"] G'burg Memorial March [/EMAIL]

Comment

There's a reason why they call heavy rain "infantry weather".

Most of my best reenacting stories involve adversity with the weather. This typically involves rain, cold or my favorite rain & cold. Frost and snow has featured in certain vignettes as well.
                  Robert Carter
                  69th NYSV, Co. A
                  justrobnj@gmail.com
                  www.69thsnyv.org

Comment

Hi,

I would agree, some of the best reenactments that I have been to, have been in the rain or in the cold.
                    Andrew Kasmar

Comment

I agree with GrumpyDave, your goin to get wet unless you have a period structure around or trees. If you want to carry an extra ground cloth/gum blanket go ahead and do that, but thats just extra weight. Wool drys from the inside out helpin the inside of your coat dry quicker so you won't be saocked for de whole weekend....
                      Kyle (Cuffie) Pretzl
                      The Tater Mess

Comment

Originally posted by lukegilly13 View Post
                        Here's a period quote taken from a Zouve soldier at camp Lee:
                        "Soon after the regiment had deployed into column, a gentle, refreshing rain began to baptize our GOOD CLOTHES. The regiment seemed lugubrious; but the “Zou Zaus,” equal to any emergency, hastily unslung the Reith knapsack, restrapped the interior bundle to the shoulder, donned the oil cloth, and prevented an exterior defiant to Iris, the goddess of cloud and shower."
                        They got wet and so will we...but not in the barn!
                        Luke,

If your'e going to provide quotes...it sure would be nice if you provided a proper citation for the source, be it a website, periodical, book...etc.

Thanks,

Paul B.
                        Paul B. Boulden Jr.

RAH VA MIL '04
                        (Loblolly Mess)
                        [URL="http://23rdva.netfirms.com/welcome.htm"]23rd VA Vol. Regt.[/URL]
                        [URL="http://www.virginiaregiment.org/The_Virginia_Regiment/Home.html"]Waggoner's Company of the Virginia Regiment [/URL]

[URL="http://www.military-historians.org/"]Company of Military Historians[/URL]
                        [URL="http://www.moc.org/site/PageServer"]Museum of the Confederacy[/URL]
                        [URL="http://www.historicsandusky.org/index.html"]Historic Sandusky [/URL]

Inscription Capt. Archibold Willet headstone:

"A span is all that we can boast, An inch or two of time, Man is but vanity and dust, In all his flower and prime."

Comment

This may seem kinda obvious but when we got washed out big style, huge storm and driving rain, at an event last year a lot of folk went home, concrete tents etc etc.
                          There was despondancy among others as well and the rest of the day was marked with continual drizzle.
                          A few of us decided not to waste the weekend and the powder so got a skirmish going. There were only perhaps 60 of us, but due to small numbers and large area, with some light woodland, and tons of powder this became quite energetic, fast paced and lasted nearly three hours.
                          We were very warm, very happy and most suprizingly almost dry!
                          So I would add, sure you will get wet, but get real active real quick and you will get dry real quick too.

Christian Sprakes
                          19thregimental Musician
                          [B][I]Christian Sprakes
                          19th Regimental Musician and Bugler[FONT="Impact"][/FONT][/I][/B]

Comment

Virginia Zouves

Paul,

That letter is about halfway down the page. It was posted in one of the other wet/dry vac threads.
                            [B]Charles Heath[/B]
                            [EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]heath9999@aol.com[/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Spanglers_Spring_Living_History/"]12 - 14 Jun 09 Hoosiers at Gettysburg[/URL]

[EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]17-19 Jul 09 Mumford/GCV Carpe Eventum [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="beatlefans1@verizon.net"]31 Jul - 2 Aug 09 Texans at Gettysburg [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="JDO@npmhu.org"] 11-13 Sep 09 Fortress Monroe [/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Elmira_Death_March/?yguid=25647636"]2-4 Oct 09 Death March XI - Corduroy[/URL]

[EMAIL="oldsoldier51@yahoo.com"] G'burg Memorial March [/EMAIL]

Comment

If you had the capacity to carry two ground cloths instead of one for comforts sake, would you? I'm sure the boys back then would too. I know I do, and it sure pays off in the field. Like earlier in this thread, CW soldiers were not cave men, nor did they run from the idea of extra comfort if it were within their means. Infantrymen did it back then if they could, and as a Marine, infantrymen do it today as well. Best thing you could do is look into your units history and see what you find.

IMHO
                              [SIZE="3"][B]Chris Montague[/B][/SIZE]
                              Associate of the 10th Virginia Infantry/5th Wisconsin
                              Member of the Battalion of the Common Soldier

Golf Co, 2/23 Marines
                              Ar Ramadi/Al Fallujah, Iraq

Comment

Originally posted by Stonewall_Greyfox View Post
                                Luke,

If your'e going to provide quotes...it sure would be nice if you provided a proper citation for the source, be it a website, periodical, book...etc.

Thanks,

Paul B.
                                Sorry...I had it cited in another of my posts...
                                In case you can't find it on the above link or through the search function the quote was written in a letter on June 30, 1861 by a young soldier (signed Le Zouave). Published in the Richmond Wig on July 2, 1861
                                Last edited by lukegilly13; 07-25-2008, 01:23 PM.
                                Luke Gilly
                                Breckinridge Greys
                                Lodge 661 F&AM

Comment

Working...
                                X